Will the new Mac mini have a new design ? (more like an Intel Nuc?)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

What do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Wait and you will see.

• Reply 2 of 45
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    It has an external power supply and that design couldn't accommodate a quad-core i7 nor dual hard drives. If they move to a PCIe SSD + single HDD (which I think they should but have just an HDD in the entry model), they might be able to shrink it down a bit but the large fan inside is going to limit how small it can get.
  • Reply 3 of 45

No. They just got a new design.

• Reply 4 of 45
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

The Mini just got a new design? No, it didn't.

The Mini was last updated in October of 2012, and retained essentially the same form factor since the removal of the SuperDrive in 2011.

• Reply 5 of 45
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

The Mini just got a new design? No, it didn't.

Yeah, it did, in the grand scheme of things.

The Mini was last updated in October of 2012, and retained essentially the same form factor since the removal of the SuperDrive in 2011.

And the design before the current one existed for over five years, what makes you think this three year old design is going to change? What reason does it have to change. The MacBook Pro had the same design for six years. The Mac Pro had the same design for ten years. The MacBook had the same design for four years. The iMac had the same design for four, three, three, and five years, respectively. The Mac Mini won't be getting a new design. Not for a long time.

• Reply 6 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What reason does it have to change.

Well there's this shiny black thing coming this fall that's likely going to be crazy expensive.

If it does start at $2799, that may convince Apple to take a risk and push the Mini forward a bit. (Apple no doubt still loves its sealed box iMacs, but there are people that don't do AIOs.)

Also, with TB2, USB 3.1 and 802.11ac updates necessary, they might see the need to update the chassis a bit. (If carmakers can update cars every three years, I doubt it's a problem for Apple to change the dimensions of a small brick.)

Marvin: What makes you think the Mini has an external power supply?

My understanding is that it's internal.

• Reply 7 of 45

Well there's this shiny black thing coming this fall that's likely going to be crazy expensive.

The Mac Mini and Mac Pro have completely different audiences. They haven nothing to do with one another and are dependent on one another for nothing. They have never had any association.

Also, with TB2, USB 3.1 and 802.11ac updates necessary, they might see the need to update the chassis a bit.

Why? It will look exactly like it does now. Absolutely nothing needs changed. You swap the Thunderbolt port for Thunderbolt 2. You swap the USB 2 for USB 3. You swap the 802.11n card for an 802.11ac card. None of that requires any manner of change to the case.

(If carmakers can update cars every three years, I doubt it's a problem for Apple to change the dimensions of a small brick.)

Can? Who cares. The question is should.

• Reply 8 of 45

Quote:

Why? It will look exactly like it does now. Absolutely nothing needs changed. You swap the Thunderbolt port for Thunderbolt 2. You swap the USB 2 for USB 3. You swap the 802.11n card for an 802.11ac card. None of that requires any manner of change to the case.

By that logic, Apple just wasted time redesigning the Pro. They could have just dropped everything into the old cheese grater case.

Also, no-one really needed the iMac to be just millimetres thick. The Apple TV has changed dimensions in the recent past as well.

This isn't the 90's anymore.

With 3D printers and efficient manufacturing techniques, redesigning a case isn't the wallet-draining exercise it used to be.

• Reply 9 of 45

By that logic, Apple just wasted time redesigning the Pro.

Not at all, no. Explain what changes from Ivy Bridge to Haswell that demands a brand new case on the Mac Mini? Nothing whatsoever.

Also, no-one really needed the iMac to be just millimetres thick.

A very short-sighted belief.

The Apple TV has changed dimensions in the recent past as well.

Except that had an actual reason; why are you doing this? Change for the sake of change is idiotic.

This isn't the 90's anymore.

With 3D printers and efficient manufacturing techniques, redesigning a case isn't the wallet-draining exercise it used to be.

That has nothing to do with anything.

• Reply 10 of 45
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

Quote:

Other than just being a contrarian, why should a desktop computer be so thin when there are real-world concerns (heat issues mainly) that a couple extra millimeters would only help aleviate?  It's already sacrificed any sort of air vents in the name of form over function.

• Reply 11 of 45

Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Other than just being a contrarian

Take maybe five seconds and think about some possibilities before dismissing them. It's going multitouch, for heaven's sake.

…why should a desktop computer be so thin when there are real-world concerns (heat issues mainly)…

Any complaints from anyone so far? Are the computers destroying themselves? No? Then it doesn't matter.

…any sort of air vents…

Try looking at the computer.

• Reply 12 of 45
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Not at all, no. Explain what changes from Ivy Bridge to Haswell that demands a brand new case on the Mac Mini? Nothing whatsoever.
    While I tend to agree with you that the Minis current design isn't that old, I do believe that the ove to Haswell may stimulated need for a change. For one thing Haswell desktop processors are almost in the same thermal ball park as the Minis current mobile selections. If they redesigned the Mini for better thermal mamangement Apple could switch to cheaper desktop processors. At the low end of the desktop Haswell lineup it would be a wash thermally but the higher end would need a better power supply and cooling systems.

Except that had an actual reason; why are you doing this? Change for the sake of change is idiotic.
    Except in the case of flagging sales.
    That has nothing to do with anything.
  • Reply 13 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

If they redesigned the Mini for better thermal management Apple could switch to cheaper desktop processors.

This probably isn't going to happen. Apple keeps the Mini on mobile processors to allow for economies of scale when purchasing from Intel.

• Reply 14 of 45
    frank777 wrote: »
    This probably isn't going to happen. Apple keeps the Mini on mobile processors to allow for economies of scale when purchasing from Intel.

Some believe that but I think the bigger issue with the Mini has been power management. Mobile processors from Intel where the only way to offer decent performance in that small box. In other words the Minis size dictated going to mobile chips sets.

The other side of the coin is that the IMac now uses desktop processors so any cost savings to be had there has gone up in smoke.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
  • Reply 16 of 45
    winter wrote: »

Err they are dual core chips! There is no deal to speak of.

Sadly the article highlights how out of control Intel has become with part labeling. I3, i5, & i7 so overlap and mix features it is hard to tell what you are getting with anyone part anymore.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Err they are dual core chips! There is no deal to speak of.

Sadly the article highlights how out of control Intel has become with part labeling. i3, i5, & i7 so overlap and mix features it is hard to tell what you are getting with anyone part anymore.

When are they coming out though? There is no info anywhere it seems.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    When are they coming out though? There is no info anywhere it seems.

Intel has a whole bunch of chips coming out in September.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Intel has a whole bunch of chips coming out in September.

If I choose to buy, I would prefer having Iris or Iris Pro graphics in the mini however if not then I would like to get an idea of when the dual core processors with HD4600 graphics are out.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    If I choose to buy, I would prefer having Iris or Iris Pro graphics in the mini however if not then I would like to get an idea of when the dual core processors with HD4600 graphics are out.

I still think you have a long wait. Apple launches iPhone in September so I'd be surprised if we see a new machine from Apple before the end of September. Then again you never really know with Apple.

As for the Mini the upsell model does need Iris of some sort in it. Quad cores too. Quad cores is currently the sweet spot for the above average home user.