New video compares supposed iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C shells against iPhone 5

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In a video that hit the Web on Monday, a purported gold colored "iPhone 5S" and a blue "iPhone 5C" were stacked against the current iPhone 5, offering a detailed look at how the three compare from a variety of different angles.

iPhone Video

While images of Apple's supposed next-generation iPhone casing have been seen before, Monday's video (via AppAdvice) offers a better perspective of the "champagne gold" chassis.

Aside from the obvious change in color, it appears that the gold hued iPhone 5S has been fitted with white antenna window inserts that feature a cutout for the rumored dual-LED flash assembly. It is unknown if Apple is plans to pair the white glass with the anodized gold iPhone 5S frame, but the two shades are somewhat compatible.

Also seen in the video is a blue version of the so-called "iPhone 5C," Apple's rumored low-cost iPhone that is supposedly set to debut alongside the 5S in September. As can be expected, the 5C's plastic composite frame is a striking departure from the aluminum iPhones.

The supposed iPhone 5C's dimensions are nearly identical to the iPhone 5 and 5S, but with softer, more rounded features compared to the sharp chamfered edges of its metal counterparts.

Apple is widely rumored to be planning a Sept. 10 announcement for both the next-generation iPhone 5S and the iPhone 5C.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Beautiful!
  • Reply 2 of 84
    Ugly hands ... dirty nails ... I hope my future 5S is not one of those!
  • Reply 3 of 84
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member

Hm, I really just hope that the "champagne" model is indeed an additional choice and not a replacement for white/silver. It is not as bad as the first "gold" rumors made it sound, but I would prefer to stick with less bling.

• Reply 4 of 84
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    dreyfus2 wrote: »
    Hm, I really just hope that the "champagne" model is indeed an additional choice and not a replacement for white/silver. It is not as bad as the first "gold" rumors made it sound, but I would prefer to stick with less bling.
    I'm sure you won't be forced to buy it. I doubt Apple would be stupid enough to replace the white/sliver model with champagne. It will be another color option (like the rumored gunmetal color).
  • Reply 5 of 84
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

The SIM tray at the 1.30 mark looks huge.  Odd.

• Reply 6 of 84
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm sure you won't be forced to buy it. I doubt Apple would be stupid enough to replace the white/sliver model with champagne. It will be another color option (like the rumored gunmetal color).

Gunmetal will be perfect.

Finally an iPhone that matches my MBP!

• Reply 7 of 84
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

Beautiful!

Agreed, and I think that blue 5C will look good with the black glass front panel

• Reply 8 of 84
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Gunmetal will be perfect.

Finally an iPhone that matches my MBP!

That's why I'd like to see black glass on the silver chassis -- that's the Mac color scheme.

• Reply 9 of 84
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Am I the only one who actually prefers the look of the white 5C over either of the aluminum bodies?

I wouldn't buy the 5C in any of those horrid muted colors we've seen in supposed leaks, but I really like the white. I like it enough that if it isn't crippled too badly I'd rather have that than the 5S.

• Reply 10 of 84
    It seems to me Apple is really trying to differentiate these two phone lines. 5S as the premium/luxury phone, 5C as the more affordable, fun, colorful phone. I'll be curious to see how Apple prices the 5C so it's not too expensive but also doesn't cannibalize the 5S too much.
  • Reply 11 of 84
    v5v wrote: »
    Am I the only one who actually prefers the look of the white 5C over either of the aluminum bodies?

I wouldn't buy the 5C in any of those horrid muted colors we've seen in supposed leaks, but I really like the white. I like it enough that if it isn't crippled too badly I'd rather have that than the 5S.
    What do you mean by crippled?
  • Reply 12 of 84
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    disturbia wrote: »
    Ugly hands ... dirty nails ... I hope my future 5S is not one of those!

Go work in a factory for living for a while and wait until we comment on your hands.
    Ever heard if the phrase "Don't bite the hands that feed you!"?
    Why do you think you can afford a cheap iPhone? Because there are "dirty, ugly hands" working and assembling them for you. Show some humility and gratitude.
  • Reply 13 of 84
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What do you mean by crippled?

Whining that it's last year's phone being sold as new.

Think of it instead as an iPod touch with a phone in it.

• Reply 14 of 84

If gold is bling or tasteful is not a matter of color but of context. If you have a simple navy blue leather phone case case and wear a blue business suit with a brass-color belt buckle, and gold-rim eye glasses, a gold colored phone blends in.
    If you sport a grin "adorned" with a gold tooth with a diamond while wearing tacky but expensive sportswear along with a Mercedes star dangling around your neck on a fat gold chain, and combine that with a golden iPhone it shows that you have way more (illegitimate ?) money than you have taste.

It's not the color, but the who and how of the context.
  • Reply 15 of 84
    If they do go with 'brightly coloured, fun' cases then from a distance people will begin to think they are seeing more and more Lumia devices out in the wild - the same way that cheap Android phones are mistaken for 4/4s every day.

The fun/colourful approach could backfire in a mindspace already occupied by Nokia.
  • Reply 16 of 84
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

There's a lesson here - if you choose to learn it. Stop criticizing things from third had rumors.
    nkalu wrote: »
    Beautiful!

It's always hard to tell from a picture, but I think the knee-jerk reaction that it will be ugly is unfounded. Given Apple's history, I'd be shocked if they release an ugly phone.
  • Reply 17 of 84
    IAs can be expected, the 5C's plastic composite frame is a striking departure from the aluminum iPhones.

It's not a striking departure from the aluminum iPhones, it's in line and a continuation of the iPhone 3G and 3GS.
    Still any sanity and sense of "historical context" left in AI's comments, or are we completely sinking to the level of the "anal-ists" who try to manipulate AAPL's price through skewed reporting?
  • Reply 18 of 84
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Guess we'll find out soon enough if these are fake. The mania surrounding an expected cyclical product update is a little irritating.

• Reply 19 of 84
    noelosnoelos Posts: 126member
    I'm sure this has been said on one of the many related threads but thank god they're doubling down on secrecy.
  • Reply 20 of 84
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

No, don't do it Apple! Don't release that horrible blue plastic thing, it's not too late!

The other models are gorgeous as usual. The new gold color is very tasteful.