Apple may release iOS 7 on Sept. 10, according to Nuance email

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
An email sent to developers from speech recognition software company Nuance on Monday suggests iOS 7 could be available to the public on Sept. 10, the same day Apple is widely expected to announce its next-generation iPhone.

Nuance Email
Source: Owened

The email, posted to the Web by Owened (via The Verge), is seemingly meant for members of Nuance's NDEV Program who are using SpeechKit 1.4.5 speech services.

Technology from Nuance was recently confirmed to be part of the Siri voice-recognizing assistant, meaning the company works closely with Apple and could be privy to upcoming launch information.

There is, however, some confusion over the email's use of iOS 7 "GA," which means general availability, a term often confused with "GM," or golden master. Traditionally, Apple has released GM versions of iOS to developers alongside a new iPhone's release, with the GA rolling out a week later.

Apple is expected to announce both a next-generation "iPhone 5S" and a lower-cost "iPhone 5C" at a special event on Sept. 10.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    If so, then Apple needs to fix the numerous bugs still present in both iOS 7 beta and Xcode 5 before then.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Something tells me that someone is about to not being working for Nuance. Hope it was worth it
  • Reply 3 of 32
    The Sept 10 release date isn't covered by the Apple Developer NDA, right? Right??? Apple has publicly acknowledged that date, right??? Oops...
  • Reply 4 of 32
    I would guess some Apple leaks are engineered by Apple & their partners, kind of like a Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The Sept 10 release date isn't covered by the Apple Developer NDA, right? Right??? Apple has publicly acknowledged that date, right??? Oops...

Yeah someone must have already thought that date was widely known judging by how the note was worded.

Anyway, I'm thinking September 10th will be the GM, which makes sense since Nuance is referencing developers with this note. The wide release of iOS 7 will probably coincide with the iPhone launch.

• Reply 6 of 32
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post

I would guess some Apple leaks are engineered by Apple & their partners, kind of like a Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction.

I know that the opinions about iOS 7's design differ (IMHO it clearly isn't anywhere finished, but I guess it will come out anyhow, maybe the GM is next), but the comparison with deflated bicycle tubes is inappropriate.

• Reply 7 of 32
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

Not yet, but if they want people to travel distances to be there, one would think they would announce it no later than two weeks early (tomorrow).
  • Reply 8 of 32
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtamesis View Post

If so, then Apple needs to fix the numerous bugs still present in both iOS 7 beta and Xcode 5 before then.

I hope you've sent in feedback to Apple, since we can't do anything about it here.  Thanks!

• Reply 9 of 32
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post

You mean that Apple and their partners engineered Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction?  Really?    OMG.    /s

• Reply 10 of 32
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    rtamesis wrote: »

Give it a rest will you.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Well, the ADC NDA is not really relevant here, as regular developers have not been informed about a GM or GA date either, so there is really nothing they could violate in this regard.

Nuance, as a party that is providing a component of iOS / Siri might have more information (even if I do not really see why that would be required, but Apple does give more information to some parties and we don't know their NDAs). It could just be simple speculation based on the semi-confirmed announcement date. Anyhow, since Jim Dalrymple has confirmed the 10th of September (and certainly with Apple's blessing), there is really no big secret left here.

I did not quite get the part of the article speculating about a confusion between GA and GM... For developers using SpeechKit the GA date is crucial, because they have to time their app submissions accordingly, the GM date is secondary.

• Reply 12 of 32
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtamesis View Post

You do realize that the builds Apple seed to the public are fairly behind that which they seed internally don't you?

• Reply 13 of 32
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I'm super excited to get iOS 7 on all my devices then parse through all unsupported apps that are overdue for deletion.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Oh well, then it's time I install iOS 6.

iOS 5  is getting boring, it works so well!

• Reply 15 of 32
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Oh well, then it's time I install iOS 6.

iOS 5  is getting boring, it works so well!

Each version is better and faster than the previous one.  Unless you are on crazy old hardware, it's pretty foolish not to update.  

• Reply 16 of 32
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    I'll be surprised if they skip to GA without another beta. It doesn't seem like it's quite ready yet. There's still some buggy stuff going on in the current one.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    The sooner the better.
  • Reply 18 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

You do realize that the builds Apple seed to the public are fairly behind that which they seed internally don't you?

Of course I do, but if they want apps to be ready for iOS 7 when it gets released, then they need to work overtime to give us a reliable build of Xcode, which is still currently in Developer Preview. September 10 is not that far away if that really is the release date.

• Reply 19 of 32
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    If iOS 7 is out on the 10th that would mean a same day release for iphone 5s surely. If that's true of course...
  • Reply 20 of 32
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

no it isn't. Why would they do that? They would lose a week of testing and wouldn't test the later builds at all. What devs get on Monday passed tests on Friday.

As far as I read this Nuance is saying they are releasing an iOS 7 version of their software to GA on the 10th which is for test.