Apple's flagship San Francisco store to save landmark fountain

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Putting an end to a small controversy over a 1970s "folk art" fountain near Union Square, revised build plans for Apple's new San Francisco retail outlet specifically show that the water feature will remain, to be nestled in a flight of steps leading up to the store's rear entrance.

New Union Square Apple Store location

Apple presented the new plans to San Francisco city officials on Monday, with Mayor Ed Lee said to be "happy" that the company was able to work with city planners to keep the fountain almost exactly where it stands today, reports The San Francisco Chronicle. The installation will be moved slightly, though the change is not thought to be noticeable.

Lee was initially impressed with Apple's initial proposal in May, but was forced to reconsider after a Chronicle article by design critic John King caused a minor controversy over the fountain's disappearance in plans submitted by architect Foster + Partners.

AppleInsider reported in May that Apple's then-current plans didn't specifically call for the fountain's removal and that the store itself would not have reached the fountain.

Apple announced plans to take over a lot across from Union Square at the corner of Stockton and Post street, a space previously occupied by Levi's. The new flagship is actually a relocation of the current Stockton and Ellis outlet and will be 45 percent larger than that store when completed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27

A blight on the property when the Apple Store is built.

• Reply 2 of 27
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 433member

What did Apple exactly save?

• Reply 3 of 27
    jcallowsjcallows Posts: 150member
    what an eye sore
  • Reply 4 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

What did Apple exactly save?

They saved an ugly fountain that no one cared about until someone got a bug up their butt.

• Reply 5 of 27

Apple can convert that ugly fountain to a piece of art. Some thing like ruined building of WW2.

• Reply 6 of 27
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

That is a piece of modern sculpture which evidently you have no concept about.

• Reply 7 of 27
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member

If there was any justice, the public officials behind this would be publicly mocked for saving that hideous thing

• Reply 8 of 27
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

modern sculpture can be ugly too, regardless of who did it.  

• Reply 9 of 27
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Pretty generous application of the word "save" here.  I save my documents every day by not deleting them.

• Reply 10 of 27

Quote:

Just because you think that spewing pustule is a work of art makes in of no more value than some of the other crap I have seen. One persons 'art' is another person's sh*t. The original artist didn't even put lipstick on their pig!

• Reply 11 of 27
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

Quote:

modern sculpture can be ugly too, regardless of who did it.  

It is more like folk art than modern art, but it is definitely art. Some people would be displeased if it was removed and others if it was not. I don't think either the city or Apple had much of a choice in the matter. It would be too controversial to tear it down. If the fountain part finally broke down, then it might make sense to sell it or move it rather than spend money to repair it, but it would likely require a local ballot measure to decide.

• Reply 12 of 27
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    LOL they just built around it.

Priceless!
  • Reply 13 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Priceless!

It sounds like they are moving it slightly as well. What happens if that thing crumbles to dust in the moving process. Apple the evil one will be castigated for years to come by the locals.  image

• Reply 14 of 27
    jessijessi Posts: 302member

This just shows how silly San Francisco is.   The reason they want to "save" that fountain is because it's a political work...

Sometimes I think Apple is too worried about offending people and caves too easily to the noisy dishonest people.

For example, Tim Cook's apology over Maps, something for which nobody is owed an apology.

"We're sorry we produced a version of Maps so superior to Google's that the google zealots had to raise a stink bashing it."

• Reply 15 of 27
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Good thing Apple changed its plans or the DOJ would be called in to investigate "Apple's assault on the first amendment."
  • Reply 16 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

This just shows how silly San Francisco is.   The reason they want to "save" that fountain is because it's a political work...

Sometimes I think Apple is too worried about offending people and caves too easily to the noisy dishonest people.

For example, Tim Cook's apology over Maps, something for which nobody is owed an apology.

"We're sorry we produced a version of Maps so superior to Google's that the google zealots had to raise a stink bashing it."

No, people were concerned about the displacement of the fountain because it was an important work from a well-known local artist. Sadly, the artist, Ruth Asawa, passed away within the past couple of weeks. Her signature gauzy hanging metal mobiles would actually look right at home in a typical Apple Store.

Cities should not be so eager to pave over their own history, but not so enslaved to the past as to become a virtual museum. Good planning is a delicate balancing act. 

• Reply 17 of 27
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    one needs to look at the close up view of the fountain to Appreciate it.
    though, Having not seen it in person I can't say much.. (but i will...) but i have looked at a close-up photo that showed the fine detail on the fountain...

Upon seeing that, I am amazed at the work that went into putting that detail on the fountain... thus is the reason Apple is saving it.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Priceless!

Apple should make it a macramed themed store designed to feature the fountain- celebrate the founding year of Apple. 

BTW- Woz was on CNN last night bashing JOBS - the movie.He said it totally failed in capturing the essence of SJ.

Then they played a tape of Ashton Kutcher bashing WOZ.

• Reply 19 of 27

No, it's a piece of worthless trash that will only scar the face of the property.

• Reply 20 of 27
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    No, it's a piece of worthless trash that will only scar the face of the property.

Art is subjective. It may not be your taste but you don't speak for everyone.