Official Google app lets Chromecast owners set up streaming device from iPhone, iPad

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google on Tuesday released the official Chromecast application for iOS, giving iPhone and iPad users the ability to set up the HDTV dongle from their mobile device.

Chromecast

The Chromecast app is a free download available on the iOS App Store. With it, users can set up Chromecast to work with their Wi-Fi network, and manage settings with the device, such as device name or Wi-Fi password.

Google's app can also be used to identify and set up multiple Chromecast devices. The $35 accessory was launched in July as a competitor to the Apple TV in the home theater streaming market.

The official Chromecast app is a 6.2-megabyte download compatible with iPhone 3GS or later and all iPad models. It requires iOS 5.1 or later.

The Chromecast hardware allows users to stream content from their mobile device to their TV, much like Apple's AirPlay Mirroring available with Apple TV. Official Google apps such as YouTube for iOS already include Chromecast support.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Thanks, I'll pass. Got the AppleTV already, all 3 generations. So a bit late to the party. Besides, [I]"Chrome"[/I]. Sounds like it needs to be polished.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    That last paragraph is wrong. Mobile devices do not stream directly to the Chromecast.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Nothing "Apple" to see here. Moving on!
  • Reply 4 of 28
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

The <a href="https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DR0PDNE/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=reality&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B00DR0PDNE&adid=1EH3RFEQAVK8SMEN7MMF&">Chromecast hardware</a> allows users to stream content from their mobile device to their TV, much like Apple's AirPlay Mirroring available with Apple TV. Official Google apps such as <a href="http://appleinsider.com/l/?link=https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/youtube/id544007664?mt=8">YouTube for iOS</a> already include Chromecast support.

A smaretphone/tablet is used to initialize the media request, but then communicates directly with the media provider rather than steaming from the owner's device. Besides offering a stutter-free hi-def media play it leads to another big plus: Your smartphone or tablet is freed up for other tasks. I've yet to see any difference between watching Netflix with a Chromecast or watching Showtime on FiOS.

Those folks reporting stutters and lags with Netflix or YouTube were probably not using the Chromecast-specific apps and trying to steam from their smartphone instead.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    gatorguy wrote: »
    A smaretphone/tablet is used to initialize the media request, but then communicates directly with the media provider rather than steaming from the owner's device. Besides offering a stutter-free hi-def media play it leads to another big plus: Your smartphone or tablet is freed up for other tasks. I've yet to see any difference between watching Netflix with a Chromecast or watching Showtime on FiOS.
    I've heard reports that it's not stutter free. But I can tell you firsthand that my iPhone to apple tv has been stutter free and HD thus far.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    I'm glad google is realizing that Android isn't the ticket. They are a data/advertising company. I'm glad they are focusing on that rather than OS wars.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I've yet to see any difference between watching Netflix with a Chromecast or watching Showtime on FiOS.

You mean except that there is nothing worth watching on Netflix.

• Reply 8 of 28
    mstone wrote: »

LOL. I read a article recently on how Netflix movie selection works and what goes into user suggestions. If accurate it's fairly revealing and explains a lot.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/07/netflix-movie-suggestions_n_3720218.html
  • Reply 9 of 28
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    So what. My iPads multitasks so I just put my streaming app in the background and go on my merry way. How do you watch a video using chrome key that you have stored on your ipad or tablet?
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Well, BBC's Sherlock is on Netflix and a few odd Marvel movies, but it seems more and more its filled with B movies that were direct to video. I used to love my netflix account, but more and more I just watch stuff on Amazon prime or Hulu.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    I have both the Apple TV and Chromecast. Chromecast does not even come close to the quality or content offered by Apple TV. After the first day, Chromecast has been collecting dust on my shelf. That $35 purchase price was a complete wasted of money. Buy a couple pizzas instead.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Those folks reporting stutters and lags with Netflix or YouTube were probably not using the Chromecast-specific apps and trying to steam from their smartphone instead.

I am sure Google will enjoy learning about all the fun things you stream. 

• Reply 13 of 28
    fh-acefh-ace Posts: 49member

Maybe you could rent it out to people so that more people get a chance to see what it is like before wasting $35.  

You might make your money back in the long term ;-)

• Reply 14 of 28
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Speak for yourself. Netflix has a good TV show collection. It has good foreign films. It has plenty of Disney content, which will improve further when Disney's deal with Starz expires. It also has good original content. Where it is weakest is with new movies. 

• Reply 15 of 28
    tbell wrote: »

I am sure Google will enjoy learning about all the fun things you stream. 

Netflix logs your viewership. So does iTunes. Is there an inherent danger in that?
  • Reply 16 of 28
    daven wrote: »
    So what. My iPads multitasks so I just put my streaming app in the background and go on my merry way. How do you watch a video using chrome key that you have stored on your ipad or tablet?

It's not designed for that nor do I have more than one single movie stored on my tablet. Now if you want to send a movie to the Chromecast from the movies you've purchased in your Google Play library it will do just fine. If you were expecting a Google version of Apple TV streaming content you downloaded to your smartphone/tablet from wherever you'll be disappointed.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    This is an odd piece of software. The setup process for the Chromecast is a 1 time thing. Setting up wifi and such. It worked for me just fine with Safari on my iPad. I don't see why I would want to download an app for a 1 time thing I can already do.

• Reply 18 of 28
    serendip wrote: »
    This is an odd piece of software. The setup process for the Chromecast is a 1 time thing. Setting up wifi and such. It worked for me just fine with Safari on my iPad. I don't see why I would want to download an app for a 1 time thing I can already do.

If you're talking about a Chromecast-specific app the media quality is as good as typical "HD cable", assuming of course the original is "HD". Streaming from an app running on your tablet/smartphone to the Chromecast is not nearly as clean and stutter-free, tho it can be done.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    We are the product being sold, We are not Google's customer we are the product being sold to the highest bidder. Don't let em fool you, Google has very little interest in making a service great or secure beyond enticing you. They will provide any service to tempt you into subscribing to it. The ONLY reason is to get more data and information about you so they can sell your name, email , location and demographics. That's the real Matrix.

The Matrix (Google) is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work… when you go to church… when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.
    Neo: What truth?
    Morpheus: [leans in closer to Neo] That you are a slave, Neo. Like everyone else you were born into bondage. Born into a prison that you cannot smell or taste or touch. A prison for your mind.
    [pause]
  • Reply 20 of 28
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

I've heard reports that it's not stutter free. But I can tell you firsthand that my iPhone to apple tv has been stutter free and HD thus far.

It's completely stutter free for me.  But I'm casting to Google TV not to Chromecast.