US government warns of Android's dominance in mobile malware

Comments

• Reply 21 of 85

Now and then we all have to respect Androids dominance. image

• Reply 22 of 85
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member

In other news, the DOJ plans an anti-trust case on Android for abusing it's market dominance and colluding against iOS malware developers.

• Reply 23 of 85
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

This is 2012...  and  there were a couple  submissions to the iOS app store that were later deemed spyware/malware (Find and Call comes to mind).

So, if they are only counting 'attack code' and not 'total devices infected'  .7% may be realistic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

I am wondering that myself. Does this refer to the 'power supply' or 'Jekyll' vulnerabilities that have seen attention recently?

Do you really think the government has the ability to be that nuanced?

• Reply 24 of 85
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

lol. But Android users have a large screen!

These are the reasons, in occurrence sequence, the Android users I know got it instead of the iPhone.

(my comment in brackets)

-Android phones are lower cost.

(Yes, but there is a reason for that and most don't understand that all pay the same balance in the usage cost)

-Can carry a spare battery to get through the day without needing charging.

(My iPhone has no problem getting through the day. Side be side with an Android of 2011 user my iPhone4 battery   lasted 3x as long)

-The screen is larger.

(useful if one has poor close vision and doesn't know how to rotate the phone 90°)

• Reply 25 of 85
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Does any of this really matter? Do you really think anyone will consider this when purchasing a smartphone? Because Homeland Security is "concerned?" Really?

People still buy Windows PCs out of habit without concern that the platform is rife with viruses and malware. When in a social gathering and the talk turns to computers invariably the subject of how sluggish their PCs are and how they have to erase and restore to rid themselves of all the crap comes up. Yet Windows still has 90% of the desktop market. Android is no different. People simply don't care, and when something bad happens they have the built-in excuse that a "virus" did it.

Actual response received from someone I know quite well.

Me: Why not consider an Apple Macintosh?

Friend: Apple? Are they still around?

Me: Yes, they make the iPhone and the iPad and the Mac.

Friend: The iPhone and iPad are Apple?

• Reply 26 of 85

As of this time -- two hours after it has been posted on AI -- there's not a peep about this on news.google.com. Not even in their 'Technology' section!

Hello?!

• Reply 27 of 85
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Just for giggles Apple should develop an antimalware app for Android users and sell it on google's app store.
  • Reply 28 of 85
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Open!

Seriously, all android users should know how to root their phones and create bug fixes and install them themselves. A non-story. /s
  • Reply 29 of 85
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

And iOS users remain unaffected. 

• Reply 30 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

As the whole purpose of Android is to make (hypothetical) buyer me the product, then in my book, Android itself is malware. The 79% figure is an underestimate.

Great point. And a great way of putting it, "Android itself is malware."

I've always said, Apple makes products. With Google and FB, you are the product.

• Reply 31 of 85

Irrelevant. Any Android user who gets malware deserves it. Real Android users are too intelligent to download malware.

• Reply 32 of 85
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Irrelevant. Any Android user who gets malware deserves it. Real Android users are too intelligent to download malware.

That is sadly my opinion of Windows users as well. I have not had any malware or virus issues on my PCs since the mid-90s and I do not use any anti-virus software.

NOTE: I use both an iMac and PC at work, and I have MacBook Pro at home with Boot Camp.

• Reply 33 of 85
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

All Android users deserve it. Android is a rip-off of Apple and Oracle/Sun technology.

• Reply 34 of 85
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Does any of this really matter? Do you really think anyone will consider this when purchasing a smartphone? Because Homeland Security is "concerned?" Really?

People still buy Windows PCs out of habit without concern that the platform is rife with viruses and malware. When in a social gathering and the talk turns to computers invariably the subject of how sluggish their PCs are and how they have to erase and restore to rid themselves of all the crap comes up. Yet Windows still has 90% of the desktop market. Android is no different. People simply don't care, and when something bad happens they have the built-in excuse that a "virus" did it.

Man I must say your circle of friends are quite smart :D.

About people buying Windows PC's out of habit.. the last time i check people were getting iPads.

And dont blurt about ppl not knowing Apple.. Its the hugest brand out there today. What does ur friend live in Africa ?

• Reply 35 of 85
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    and boy, if there's anybody who knows about security threats it's the feds ...
  • Reply 36 of 85
    Just buy a new Android phone every 3 months.
  • Reply 37 of 85
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The security of the iOS platform has long been touted by Apple as an advantage over devices running Google's Android. The company also boasts that almost all iPhone users update to the latest ? and most secure ? version of iOS, while many Android users are not able to run newer versions of the platform because of manufacturer and carrier restrictions.

See the advantage of controlling your handset's hardware *and* OS?

Better experience and better security for iOS users.

And Apple actually controls their own destiny in mobile.

Google doesn't control its destiny in mobile.  Samsung doesn't either.

• Reply 38 of 85
    lkrupp wrote: »

You really need a better class of friends. ;)
  • Reply 39 of 85
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

That is sadly my opinion of Windows users as well. I have not had any malware or virus issues on my PCs since the mid-90s and I do not use any anti-virus software.

You've not had any malware to your knowledge. Unfortunately that's not a good intelligence test.

And don't deny that you've enjoyed receiving spam originating from computers owned by "deserving idiots."

• Reply 40 of 85

True. If you don't know how to root your phone and troll on slashdot all day, you're not a Real Android user.