New video shows purported gold 'iPhone 5S' shell in brutal scratch test

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A video posted to the Web on Tuesday demonstrates the durability of Apple's alleged champagne colored "iPhone 5S" shell, which shrugs off light coin scrapes, but unsurprisingly reveals nicks and scratches after being assaulted with a pocket knife.

Gold Scratch Test

While a bit extreme, the video from Jailbreak Nation (via CNET) is in the same vein as a recent durability test that illustrated the scratch resistance of a purported low-cost "iPhone 5C" plastic shell. The supposed iPhone 5S aluminum casing, however, undergoes a substantially more rigorous assessment.

It should be noted that the authenticity of the supposed gold iPhone 5S frame cannot be confirmed by AppleInsider, and the following is offered for purposes of discussion only.

Tuesday's video compares a gold, or "champagne," colored version of an alleged iPhone 5S shell with a black version of the current generation iPhone 5. The purported part looks to be the same component pictured in images that surfaced last week.

Some owners of the latest iPhone have seen small nicks and scuffs appear on the chassis, with the occurrence more evident on black models as scraping away the anodized top layer exposes the silver aluminum beneath.

In the test, a quarter is first used to mar the bottom right corner of the black and gold casings. Both fare well and, after being wiped down with a paper towel, show minimal scuffing. Next, the coin is taken to the chassis' sharp chamfered edges. The gold model appears to show less damage in this test, possibly because the shine produced from polishing process hides any bare aluminum.

Finally, the bottom left corner of both versions are subjected to stabbing and scratching with a pocketknife. Neither frame withstood the rough treatment, an unsurprising outcome.

While the knifing is rather extreme, the coin tests suggest Apple is using the same method of anodization to color the iPhone's aluminum chassis, a process seen in the iPhone 5, iPad mini and various iPod models.

Apple received a fair share of flak last year when some customers complained of nicks and scratches on their brand new handsets. Dubbed "scuffgate," the minor controversy caused Apple to clamp down on partner supplier Foxconn, which in turn caused a worker strike over demanding quality control measures.

Apple is expected to announce a next-generation iPhone, as well as a lower-cost model, at a media event on Sept. 10.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    What consumer product of ANY kind can resist this kind of abuse?

Why isn't there an uproar because Porsche sunglasses and Rolex watches scratch if you STAB THEM WITH A HUNTING KNIFE?

Lol what is the solution? Make every product out of DIAMONDS from now on?

Or make a 12 pound Kevlar iPhone?

That's some serious iAssault on that iPhone dude.
  • Reply 2 of 47
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    What remotely useful info is this? Is Apple somehow held to some higher standard in that they should have perfected invulnerable aluminum that is impervious to scratches with a hunting knife and dents within 175 feet of a nuclear explosion?

Why is this even reported?
  • Reply 3 of 47
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

I'll be testing it out with my carborundum tipped dental drill and if there's the slightest mark it's off to consumer affairs and I'll be expecting a replacement, plus a new iPad for the inconvenience.

• Reply 4 of 47
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member

What kind of nonsense is that? Seriously, it would be interesting how an iPhone fares when dropped on concrete, so DROP it on concrete and don't stab it with a knife! However, it seems an iPhone will probably protect you when someone stabs you, but you have your iPhone in the pocket of your shirt.

• Reply 5 of 47
    This is why I'm waiting for the iPhone 6, which will be made out of an alloy of adamantium and mithril according to my top secret informant at Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 47

Guess what do you do if you get hold of a publically not admitted, impossible to get iphone 5S in advance ? You dont admire the beauty, you dont celebrate the aesthetics, you dont enjoy or gloat over the possession. Instead you attach it with sheer brutality til it scratches and then you proudly declare it to the world.

This is akin to blowing up Taj Mahal and telling us marble cant handle explosions......What appleinsider can do here is to at least point out and protest against such mindless videos instead of just reporting like a robot automaton.

• Reply 7 of 47
    So what I learned from this stupid scratch test is: if you have a possibly fake iPhone 5S case that you obtained from unverifiable and undisclosed sources, don't scratch it with a knife. I'm sure that's something all of us will run into someday. /s
  • Reply 8 of 47
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member

Liquidmetal iPhone! not

• Reply 9 of 47
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    It's too bad no one has developed some sort of protection for phone scratches. Perhaps something like a "case."
  • Reply 10 of 47
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    I want a polished Liquidmetal enclosure on my iPhone "6" next year.
    And near-zero bezel width on the long edges.
    And 1.6mm less thickness: 6.0mm.
    And a quad-core 64-bit A8 SoC.
    And better battery life.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    rissriss Posts: 47member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

I want a polished Liquidmetal enclosure on my iPhone "6" next year.

And near-zero bezel width on the long edges.

And 1.6mm less thickness: 6.0mm.

And a quad-core 64-bit A8 SoC.

And better battery life.

all in good time... it's on the roadmap, but certainly not next year ;)

• Reply 12 of 47
    I'm shocked, shocked!
  • Reply 13 of 47
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Gold iPhone 5S with silver Apple logo? Doesn't make sense. The real thing has to ship with a gold logo.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Fake. The 'iPhone' font is wrong, it's the light variant, just compare it to the other two shells.

Also, agree with the other posters, what consumer device doesn't scratch when stabbed with a pocket knife? People need to learn to take care of their things and take responsibility for damage that they cause to their own products.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    "And a quad-core 64-bit A8 SoC."

why not an octo-core ? it's better.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    When Rambo was using the knife, it wasn't scratches - it was black paint rub from the finish of the knife, he should have used a regular blade. Who has a black knife??
  • Reply 17 of 47
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    What, are they handing these champaign colored chasses away free at the corner drug store. Everyone and their grandma seems to have one.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    512ke wrote: »
    What consumer product of ANY kind can resist this kind of abuse?

Why isn't there an uproar because Porsche sunglasses and Rolex watches scratch if you STAB THEM WITH A HUNTING KNIFE?

Lol what is the solution? Make every product out of DIAMONDS from now on?

Or make a 12 pound Kevlar iPhone?

That's some serious iAssault on that iPhone dude.

I can attest to how well iPhones are made. My iPhone has never had a case. It gets thrown on the car's center storage bin, in my pockets and in beach bags. I love the looks of it as designed, so was damned if I'd worry about scratches and buy a case. I am looking at it now carefully ... there isn't a mark on it! It's a 4s (my wife has the 5, I get her cast offs) so it has had a lot of use. I cannot fathom hiding an iPhone in a butt ugly case. I'm sure most people bought into the anti Apple FUD from Scamsung et al and assume they scratch easily. They don't!
  • Reply 19 of 47
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

I learned that steel is harder than aluminium in Grade 8 science class.  

• Reply 20 of 47
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brunzilla View Post

…. Who has a black knife??

The same kind of self-important tard that posts stupid videos on the Internet, that's who.