Apple attempting to trademark the term 'startup' for retail services

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has filed an application in Australia to trademark the term "startup" when it relates to retail store services, computer maintenance, and a few other situations, and the move could have international implications.

Apple's Cupertino headquarters filed the application in Australia on Tuesday alongside the Sydney branch of law firm Baker & Mckenzie, according to TM Watch. The filing covers four classes of goods and services:
  • Class 35: Retail store services, including retail store services featuring computers, computer software, computer peripherals, mobile phones, and consumer electronic devices, and demonstration of products relating thereto
  • Class 37: Maintenance, installation and repair of computer hardware, computer peripherals and consumer electronic devices; consulting services in the field of maintenance of computer hardware, computer peripherals, and consumer electronic devices
  • Class 41: Educational services, including conducting classes, workshops, conferences and seminars in the field of computers, computer software, computer peripherals, mobile phones, and consumer electronic devices and computer-related services; providing information in the field of education
  • Class 42: Design and development of computer hardware and software; technical support services, namely, troubleshooting of computer hardware and software problems; installation, maintenance and updating of computer software; technological consultancy services in the field of computers, computer software and consumer electronics; computer diagnostic services; computer data recovery
As shown in the areas covered, Apple's filing would not constitute a blanket trademark over the term "startup." Startup businesses would still be able to use the term. Only in the areas described in Apple's filings would the iPhone maker be able to assert trademark, and those likely within a limited scope.

Observers note that Apple has previously filed for similar trademarks in the United States and in Australia. The initial Australian filing was never accepted, but in 2011, Apple received a preliminary trademark pending a consultation period. Numerous U.S. parties filed objections, though, and Apple has until September 20 to respond to those objections.

Wired added that having the trademark granted in Australia could have implications across much of the world. Australia is a signee of the Madrid system, which is administered by the World Intellectual Property Organization. Under that system, trademarks assigned within one signee country are applicable across all other signee countries.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member
    Trolls are coming
  • Reply 2 of 37

Not possible!  

• Reply 3 of 37
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

Trolls are coming

Don't you just know it!

I met a troll for the first time the other day in real life. He was everything I expected a troll to be like. A sad, pathetic, benefit scrounging man, with no real world life.

• Reply 4 of 37
    bleh1234bleh1234 Posts: 146member
    Why not just trademark the whole English language then?

Pathetic
  • Reply 5 of 37
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

Trolls are coming

This deserves to be trolled.

• Reply 6 of 37
    Unnecessary apple.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Not sure why this is news as Apple already has a trademark for this in the US. http://t.co/2xcumpbHZD
  • Reply 8 of 37
    Good job maneuvering themselves into a position where they, as a company, soon needs to be killed for mankind's best.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    connieconnie Posts: 101member

This is really embarrassing, and I hope this trademark application fails (which already happened in the past).

• Reply 10 of 37
    I guess we have to create a brand new word to use instead of "startup" then.
    I vote for: "applecunt".
  • Reply 11 of 37
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Not sure why this is news as Apple already has a trademark for this in the US. http://t.co/2xcumpbHZD

I could be reading wrong but doesn't the AI article mention the US trademark isn't permanently approved yet. [/B]The comment period runs thru Sept. 20th and a final decision on the trademark application will be sometime after that.

Link to the original US filing in 2011 here:
    http://www.trademarkia.com/startup-85296886.html

Yup, comments on the US application invited thru Sept 20th of this year. Definitely not final.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I could be reading wrong but doesn't the article mentions the US trademark isn't permanently approved yet. [/B]The comment period runs thru Sept. 20th and a final decision on the trademark application will be sometime after that.
    I believe the link I posted was from 2011. Maybe it hasn't been approved yet. Not sure why its newsworthy today though.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Didn't Microsoft patent Powering Down? Or was it Reboot?

• Reply 14 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

it was BSOD (TM) trademarked

• Reply 15 of 37

really??? really?? really?

• Reply 16 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Trademarks != patents.

• Reply 17 of 37
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    pazuzu wrote: »

Lockup
  • Reply 18 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

Trademarks != patents.

yes, and MS did trademark Windows, so no idea why Apple (right or wrong) should not TM Startup

• Reply 19 of 37
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I guess we have to create a brand new word to use instead of "startup" then.
    I vote for: "applecunt".

And I guess you didn't read the article.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Add this to the "Ridiculist".