New iPads will not be introduced at Apple's Sept. 10 event

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Prospective tablet buyers holding out for Apple's next generation of iPads will have to wait, as the company is reportedly not planning to unveil its 2013 iPad lineup at an anticipated Sept. 10 event.

iPad mini

The well-connected Jim Dalrymple of The Loop revealed on Wednesday that there will be "no iPads" at Apple's upcoming event. The keynote is expected to feature Apple's next-generation iPhones, rumored to be called the "iPhone 5S" and "iPhone 5C."

Dalrymple's comments were provided in response to an earlier media report that had suggested iPads could be introduced at Apple's Sept. 10 media event. However, Apple has historically kept its iPhone and iPad announcements separate.

Last year, the iPhone 5 was unveiled at a media event in September, while the iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad were introduced to the public in October. It's likely that Apple will follow a similar schedule this year, and introduce a second-generation iPad mini and redesigned fifth-generation iPad in October, ahead of the holiday shopping season.Jim Dalrymple's comments assure that there won't be iPads at Apple's iPhone-centric Sept. 10 event, but new MacBook Pros with Haswell processors remain a possibility.

The new fifth-generation iPad is expected to feature many of the same design elements as the current iPad mini, including smaller size bezels, a thinner body, and lighter weight. Parts claimed to be for the "iPad 5" have appeared regularly throughout 2013.

As for the iPad mini, it's expected that Apple's second-generation 7.9-inch tablet will see an upgraded high-resolution Retina display. There has also been speculation by well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities that Apple could additionally offer a low-cost iPad mini, potentially without a Retina display, to allow the company to hit an even lower price point than the current $329 entry price.

While Dalrymple's comments assure that there won't be any iPads at Apple's Sept. 10 event, the possibility of new Macs being unveiled at the keynote remains. Most of Apple's Mac lineup, including the MacBook Pro and iMac, are due for upgrades to Intel's latest-generation Haswell processors.

The September event is also expected to announce the release date for iOS 7, Apple's next-generation mobile operating system currently available in beta to developers. If prior release schedules hold again for 2013, iOS 7 will likely become available to the public about a week after the event, while Apple's next-generation iPhones will be in the hands of customers on Friday, Sept. 20.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    Surely "fifth-generation iPad and redesigned second-generation iPad mini".
  • Reply 2 of 47
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Jim's 'yep/nope' posts are invaluable in heading off the rumor trains that always lead to unfounded disappointment at Apple events.

Thanks Jim!
  • Reply 3 of 47
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    "introduce a second-generation iPad and redesigned fifth-generation iPad mini in October"

That's the other way round I believe.

• Reply 4 of 47
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member
    Double down on secrecy means no more Nope or Yep.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    Will be introduced ...
    Will not be introduced ...
    Will be introduced ...
    Will be introduced ...

Apple Insider, this is the most important news I ever read. Thank you - oohhhh - thaaaaank you sooo much.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Duh?  Why would they release them at the same time?  We'll be lucky to see a Mac update to go alongside.... only chance is if the GM of Mavericks and a release date comes out next week- which is extremely unlikely.  So we'll likely see the Macs and iPads all at the same time.

So with those ruled out- maybe we'll see an updated Apple TV iteration?  But I doubt that too.  iPhones only with a Mavericks and Mac Pro release date with -maybe- a side dose of iPod.

• Reply 7 of 47
    I think the beard might be correct with this one, but I don't think that the beard's yep or nope in general have to be taken so seriously by the media! The beard does not have any idea either! Just yep or nope! :)
  • Reply 8 of 47
    long awaited flying car will not be introduced sept 10
  • Reply 9 of 47
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member

NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH!

This September event will also not include an update of the MacBook Air!

Nor will it include Jet-propelled laptops.

or solar-powered iphones that can charge your laptop (although I wish it did).

admittedly, this is a good service Jim is providing, but the title just seems to pick me up and throw me at sharp objects.

• Reply 10 of 47
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hydr View Post

Double down on secrecy means no more Nope or Yep.

Yes, but considering the frequency, number and accuracy of leaks have all increased since they "doubled down" on secrecy, that whole idea is a bit of a joke really. 

• Reply 11 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Yes, but considering the frequency, number and accuracy of leaks have all increased since they "doubled down" on secrecy

Hmm. Proof? I want an itemized chart; it doesn't feel any worse (or better) than any other year.

• Reply 12 of 47
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    God I can't stand Mark Gurman from 9to5Mac. He just tweeted that he noped this first. Well I read his article and he didn't say no, he said he thought it was unlikely. Yeah like most people did when they first heard it. When you get a yes or no from Jim it's almost guaranteed the source was Apple.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member
    New iPads will not be introduced at Apple's Sept. 10 event unless they are
    by AppleInsider Reader

Long-time AppleInsider reader, NotScott, revealed today that NEW iPADS may or may not be revealed at Apple's rumored Sept. 10 event. His supposition is expected to fuel further speculation surrounding anticipated here-say.
  • Reply 14 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Jim's 'yep/nope' posts are invaluable in heading off the rumor trains that always lead to unfounded disappointment at Apple events.

Thanks Jim!

On the other hand,

An unofficial rumor has been negated by an unofficial spokesman for apple.

Sigh...

• Reply 15 of 47
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Mac Pro, anyone?
    I guess it wouldn't fit this kind of event.
    It'll probably be announced online or at some developer related convention or something.
  • Reply 16 of 47

Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Mac Pro, anyone?

I guess it wouldn't fit this kind of event.

It'll probably be announced online or at some developer related convention or something.

Already BEEN announced. All it has to do now is be released. It'll be a silent update on the store, possibly not even on its own.

• Reply 17 of 47
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hmm. Proof? I want an itemized chart; it doesn't feel any worse (or better) than any other year.

Proof is cause I said so, (basically the same reasoning you apply to all your "pronouncements from the mount").  

Other than yourself though, I don't think you'd find many folks who follow the rumours that disagree.  

• Reply 18 of 47

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Proof is cause I said so

Thanks; shut up and stop lying.

• Reply 19 of 47
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacHarry de View Post

Will be introduced ...

Will be introduced ...

Will be introduced ...

Apple Insider, this is the most important news I ever read. Thank you - oohhhh - thaaaaank you sooo much.

But will a new Apple TV be introduced? Will it be round instead of square? White not black?

• Reply 20 of 47
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You tell us- How many AI  reported leaks vs last year vs the year before. You seem to have all the time in the world with a far superior retainer of Apple knowledge that is your brain. Please enlighten us.