Twitter, Gmail, iPlayer apps for iOS all receive updates

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Three major iOS apps saw updates today, with Google continuing to tighten service integration in its iOS offerings, the BBC's iPlayer getting AirPlay integration, and Twitter seeing a few interface changes.

Version 2.4 of Google's Gmail app and version 2.2.0 of the Google Maps app now contain tighter integration with the Google+ iOS app. In Gmail, Google+ links go directly to the associated app, and in Google Maps, users are able to share their favorite places with friends using the Google+ app.

Google has been gradually tightening the integration of Google's services in its iOS offerings for some time now. Other Google apps offer the ability to open links in Chrome, show videos straight through YouTube, and otherwise provide built-in Google services to keep users within Google's own mini-ecosystem on iOS.

In addition to Google+ integration, the Gmail update adds the ability to open Google Drive files directly within that associated app as well. The update also brings an enhanced attachment experience, with larger image thumbnails and a full-screen viewing option.

The new version of Google's Gmail app is available as a free download in the App Store. It is a 9.4MB download, and requires an iPhone, iPod, or iPad running iOS 5.0 or later. The latest version of Google Maps is also free in the App Store, and that 12.5MB download requires an iPhone, iPod, or iPad running iOS 6.0 or later.

BBC iPlayer gets AirPlay, improved search

Users of BBC's iPlayer can now download an update that makes the app compatible with Apple's AirPlay wireless streaming technology. The new version of BBC iPlayer, in addition to AirPlay capability for downloaded programs, also adds improvements to searching and navigation in the app.

Version 2.2 of iPlayer now has quick, one-tap access to previous searches. Results are also grouped by series, and there is a dedicated search area on the iPad with image-led results. The navigation feature now has "More from this series" and "You may also like" options in order to help users better find content.

The update also fixes VoiceOver support for the Favorites screen. Additionally, it contains a number of bug fixes and optimizations.

BBC iPlayer is a free download from the App Store. It is a 28.2MB download, and it requires an iPhone, iPad, or iPod running iOS 5.1 or later.

Twitter gets interface tweaks

The latest version of Twitter for iOS has a number of new interface tweaks in order to make looking through conversations easier. Version 5.10 now adds a blue line that indicates a conversation between people that a user follows. Conversations have also been restructured so that the first Tweet in a conversation now appears above the most recent reply. Users can also tap a conversation to see all replies.

The update also contains a number of new notification settings, as well as bug fixes for direct messages, login verification, and other features. Version 5.10 is a free, 13.4MB download on the App Store. The download requires a device running iOS 5.0 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    BBC's iPlayer not available in US. Too bad!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    The BBC app has had AirPlay support for years as far as I know?
  • Reply 3 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by IsmOfAm View Post

BBC's iPlayer not available in US. Too bad!

It's not really a free app for those of us in the UK, we have to buy a TV license yearly (to pay for the BBC) which costs us £145.50 per year (about £100 cheaper if it's only B&W). While iPlayer specifically doesn't require a TV license, only watching live television does (or the ability to do so), most people have a license and it's that funding which pays for the iPlayer app. Personally, I think it's money well spent.

Perhaps if you were to offer to pay £145.50 per year the BBC might consider allowing non-UK residents to get the app?? ;-)

The thing I don't get is that it's not available on the ATV. It is, however, available on my PS3, but that's just silly, also there's a plug-in on XBMC for jailbroken ATVs, but that's not nearly as nice as the iPlayer app itself (it's actually crap). With all the added channels available to US ATV owners (and almost none coming across the pond), why isn't the iPlayer included here in these recent updates?

• Reply 4 of 7
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    Why is AI furnishing google with free advertising for gmail.
    Don't you all know that it scans your emails and is the chief source if spam on this planet?
    Irrespective if you use it or not, you will be targeted.
    Please AI, stop helping google.
    I am google free but get annoyed when I have to read, even by accident, anything to do with them.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

It's not really a free app for those of us in the UK, we have to buy a TV license yearly (to pay for the BBC) which costs us £145.50 per year (about £100 cheaper if it's only B&W). While iPlayer specifically doesn't require a TV license, only watching live television does (or the ability to do so), most people have a license and it's that funding which pays for the iPlayer app. Personally, I think it's money well spent.

Perhaps if you were to offer to pay £145.50 per year the BBC might consider allowing non-UK residents to get the app?? ;-)

The thing I don't get is that it's not available on the ATV. It is, however, available on my PS3, but that's just silly, also there's a plug-in on XBMC for jailbroken ATVs, but that's not nearly as nice as the iPlayer app itself (it's actually crap). With all the added channels available to US ATV owners (and almost none coming across the pond), why isn't the iPlayer included here in these recent updates?

As an Australian I wish to thank the BBC for syndicating so much of their wonderful content to our local ABC.

ABC iView is almost the only TV I watch these days. It's the only reason I have an Apple TV!

• Reply 6 of 7
    smiffy31smiffy31 Posts: 202member
    I live in France and the iPlayer app is available free with a sample of free content. If you want to watch however you need to subscribe (€7.99/month €49.99 /year). It appears to be a different app from the one in the UK because even when connected to my brothers provider on holiday in England it did not work.
  • Reply 7 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by smiffy31 View Post

I live in France and the iPlayer app is available free with a sample of free content. If you want to watch however you need to subscribe (€7.99/month €49.99 /year). It appears to be a different app from the one in the UK because even when connected to my brothers provider on holiday in England it did not work.

Perhaps it's an app by BBC World, their commercial arm that operates outside the UK? Might mean they plan to take iPlayer to more countries, so everyone could get it (even if you had to subscribe). Does it display advertisements?