Popular Gmail client Mailbox for iOS gets cloud search, account-specific signatures

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
After an update on Wednesday, Mailbox users can now search through messages stored in Gmail's cloud, a much requested feature that was missing from earlier versions of the app.

Mailbox iPad

Mailbox for iOS hit version 1.5.0 on Wednesday, and while not much has been changed in the point update, the server search function will likely be a welcome addition to many.

The new capability allows users to search through every message in a given Gmail account, not just those that had been previously downloaded and stored locally. With the updgrade, Mailbox is finally up to speed with other email clients offering similar features, including Google's own Gmail app.

In addition, those users with multiple active accounts can create and choose specific signatures for each, which will be appended to outgoing messages. Another new option lets users open Web links in Google's Chrome browser for iOS rather than the default Safari.

The Mailbox blog also notes that users can still receive 1GB of Dropbox space by linking their account with the cloud storage service. Dropbox integration was recently introduced after the company purchased Mailbox in March.

Finally, the usual unnamed performance enhancements and bug fixes are included in version 1.5.0.

Mailbox for iOS can be downloaded for free from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    Lol! Looks like AI added this article to simply annoy me.
    Why not change the site's name to google insider?
  • Reply 2 of 14
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

Lol! Looks like AI added this article to simply annoy me.

Why not change the site's name to google insider?

AI tries to highlight what's happening with Apple primarily, and also everything connected to it.. That is its competition's progress :) Its a good thing :)

• Reply 3 of 14
    I started using Mailbox recently, and so far it's been excellent, apart from its reliance on gmail.

It is owned by Dropbox, not google, and is said to be adding support for other email providers in a future update.

I've seen many excellent reviews, which is why I tried it I guess.

I've also never seen anything synchronise so quickly between iPad and iPhone - I delete an email on one, and about a second later it's gone on the other.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    nikilok wrote: »
    AI tries to highlight what's happening with Apple primarily, and also everything connected to it.. That is its competition's progress :) Its a good thing :)
    It sickens me that Apple allows any of this crap on its hardware.
    Why are they helping google? Are they not at war?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    hfts wrote: »

Apple doesn't mind developers building apps and publishing them on there App stores as long as they abide by the policies it has in place.
    These apps only help enrich there Eco system. And if they like a particular feature of some app they would incorporate it to there stock apps of needed. Google Is one company that has most number of apps created for iOS which is great for the users.

They compete more at the Eco system level. Google being a services company primarily brings it's services to iOS. And by the way this app was written by the drop box guys not Google.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

It's not a Google product.

Even if this were a Google product, can you imagine the anti-trust lawsuit that would come down on Apple if they banned Google's apps?

• Reply 7 of 14
    richl wrote: »
    It's not a Google product.

Even if this were a Google product, can you imagine the anti-trust lawsuit that would come down on Apple if they banned Google's apps?
    I was certain that gmail is from the evil empire.
    Yes, it would be most interesting if Apple banned all their crap, but alas I can only dream.
  • Reply 8 of 14

You know guys, I always admired Apple for its design. As Ive explained in so many occasions, design is far more than simply make something look good: it's the way you interact with the machine (and that is both, hardware and software).

So, Apple has introduced in 2007 the iPhone and it was a game changer how to interact with the outer world. Since ever, though, there was no step forward. Now, I see Mailbox and, especially, Tempo calendar and am amazed their progress in interacting with the Phone: so many ways to beautifully boost your productivity. So many ways to get the technology (and taps) out of the way. So many ways to integrate and to make more immediate.

Ive's on charge of the overall design, both hardware and software now. I really trust in him that Apple will step up in the software design (in the broad sense). Hoping to see some results in iOS8 and OSX 10.10.

• Reply 9 of 14
    hfts wrote: »
    I was certain that gmail is from the evil empire.
    Yes, it would be most interesting if Apple banned all their crap, but alas I can only dream.

No a lot of Apple fans use Googles services and it's a great thing for the users that there are native apps build for iOS. Did you know 80% of google's revenues in the mobile sector comes from iOS ? It shows how powerful the platform is even for Eco system rivals to utilize.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    No a lot of Apple fans use Googles services and it's a great thing for the users that there are native apps build for iOS. Did you know 80% of google's revenues in the mobile sector comes from iOS ? It shows how powerful the platform is even for Eco system rivals to utilize.
    Yes I know this, but you actually confirmed what I mentioned earlier, why is Apple helping google?
    If google makes 80% of its revenue from Apple.
    Surely people can use the stock iOS apps or use alternatives.
    There are many whom defend Apple against google on this site, if they use google products then that is contradictory.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Apple has a large enough of an Eco system without the "help" from google,
    What can google provide that Apple or 3rd parties cannot?
  • Reply 12 of 14

I don't think this is a thread about a Google product. It's about Mailbox which so far only supports Gmail. It might support other mail providers eventually.

• Reply 13 of 14
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Apple has a large enough of an Eco system without the "help" from google,

What can google provide that Apple or 3rd parties cannot?

Hmmm.  Dunno quite how to break this to you delicately, chief, but, uhhh, Google and DropBox are....  ....long-time key Apple "3rd party developers."  The kind who add versatility and depth to Apple's developer ecosystem....

...and one key thing (if not THE key thing) that system does is keep Apple interconnected with the rest of the digital world...  ...something they don't devote a lot of resources to themselves, as their evolution is all about creating synergy between their own devices and services....  ....so something they're smart enough to allow (and have been moving to allow more of) if not do themselves.

Quote:

Yes I know this, but you actually confirmed what I mentioned earlier, why is Apple helping google?

If google makes 80% of its revenue from Apple.

Surely people can use the stock iOS apps or use alternatives.

There are many whom defend Apple against google on this site, if they use google products then that is contradictory.

...The argument about strategic "co-opetition" goes on and on, but Apple arguably wouldn't have survived its dark days without the agreement with Bill Gates that (among other provisions) included keeping then arch-rival and private enemy #1's MS Office on the Mac.

I would never consider another Apple product if my only doc saving option was .pages, if I couldn't use gMail, couldn't communicate or work those who insist on basing themselves in Google Docs, couldn't run Spotify, couldn't use DropBox and SugarSync, couldn't run FireFox across Win and Mac environments,

Imagine if you couldn't message or call anyone outside of Verizon's or ATT's phone system customers, had to deal with incompatible tightly-patented image file formats for Nikons, Canons, Panasonic, etc. cameras, had to learn a whole new way of driving to use a Toyota instead of a Ford, etc. 

Fracking Tower of Babel is all that'd be. 

And in the example of the car companies, consider their fuel systems.  Not even diesel cars have ever taken off in the US.  And the lack of a common, wide-spread fueling infrastructure is one of the factors holding back the uptake of alternate vehicles like electrics, natural gas, etc. 

And while I'm interested in touch as an "on-demand" feature in future MacBooks, wouldn't be buying a new one of those this fall without being able to use VMWare or Parallels as I consolidate my two machine strategy into one - something I can't easily with a non-touch, non-Apple notebook.

Meanwhile, there is an example of a company who's kept trying the "our way or the highway/go it alone/you need only us" approach over and over - and fails over and over - to the point they're way diminished as a serious player in many industries they could have been leaders in - or at least still relevant - with a simple "and/or" approach:  Sony. 

I'm so happy I chose to write all those music files in .mp3 rather than "Atracs" format way back when. 

It's not the company with the best toys (or best OS or best whatever) who necessarily wins, but the one that's the most useful (and hint: interoperability is a huge factor in "useful"), solves the most user problems (dittor), and gives real reasons not to HAVE to go with other companies to work in the real world for something they may need that doesn't happen to be an Apple product. 

After many Cupertino lurches into being too exclusive, I for one, am encouraged about Apple's long-term prospects by their "realpolitik" pragmatism in recent years.  In fact, I'd like to see more, as iTunes for Windows is exactly what introduced me to the Apple computing metaphor and got me to buy my first Mac. So I hope iWorks in the Cloud will integrate with Windows and on any class of device where Apple has competitors, e.g., Android. 

Zealots can go pound all the sand they like, but truly this is an industry and set of markets.  Not a religion. 

• Reply 14 of 14
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    There's a pending lawsuit involving GMail and automated content scanning that could potentially impact every email provider including Apple and Microsoft products. Most of us realize that Google, Yahoo, Earthlink, Apple, Microsoft etc. scan the contents of our emails, even tho no humans are physically reading them (supposedly). Google doesn't hide the fact it includes watching for certain keywords or phrases that might then lead to a webpage ad someplace like AI for a product you may have a stated interest in. That's what prompted the original complaint filed by 10 GMail users. I've no idea what other providers may do the same or something similar.

The Texas Attorney-General argues that it's an invasion of an individual's privacy to scan anyone's email for any purpose, which could supposedly include spam identification, questionable links, data mining, etc. even if that user allowed it by accepting the provider's Terms of Service.

Still a few months off but possibly a game-changer. I'm certain it will get more press if the case proceeds.