Judge tosses lawsuit targeting allegedly faulty iPhone 4 power button

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikhailT View Post

We need to change the laws to force folks to pay the defendant's lawyer and any filing fees for all lawsuits. They'll change their minds about filing stupid suits like this.

I say bring back public spankings. That would be much more fun. 

• Reply 22 of 34
    wovel wrote: »
    Maybe if people did not make ridiculous claims like "dangerous to users" people would be more open to discussing every tiny little issue that comes out.
    Not ridiculous claims at all. The Internet is full of them, simply research.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    muppetry wrote: »
    It would be negligent of you not to share some of these "dangers" with us ignorant Apple users. We might hurt ourselves.
    Just hold it the right way and you should be fine.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    um, my phone locks itself and 'powers off' after two minutes of inactivity with or without the power button. before I get on an airplane, I switch it to 'airplane mode'. Sans hazard!

and, if you can't use the power button to shut off the phone, it's BROKEN and needs to be taken in for service. If you get on an airplane knowing that your'e carrying a broken and potentially hazardous piece of electronics equipment, then it's YOUR fault, not the manufacturer's.

I once read a story (thank you Darwin Awards) about a man who DROPPED his microwave oven on the pavement while moving house. He kept using it, even though he'd complained to friends that since the move it sometimes smoked and smelled like burning wires when he used it. Didn't stop him though. So when he was electrocuted while using it one day, it wasn't too surprising. The worse part is, his family, even knowing the whole story, filed suit anyway, claiming the unit had a "dangerous design flaw". They lost.

This one somehow doesn't feel a lot different, except that thankfully no-one had to get hurt. I do wonder, how much do you suppose this lawsuit cost the taxpayers?
  • Reply 25 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by androidforme View Post

I agree.

May I add there are other faults on iPhones that are conveniently swept under the carpet by many on this site.

Sites like AI should be impartial and report these as they can be dangerous to users.

There are several "flaws" on the iphone, like every phone and product. It is designed by humans. Dangerous? that 3.7 volts and low amps are dangerous stuff huh? Never killed me to use an iphone. Just an Android lover huh? Thats fine, there are a few nice phones with the OS; however, they don't wipe the iphone except in a few areas but the package just isn't there.

Quote:

Dude, when you make 100 million of these things a year, of course you will see thousands of issues on the internet, like ANY product. Every product I have EVER researched.

Quote:

Just hold it the right way and you should be fine.

My iPhone 4 has the best reception of any phone I owned up until that point, even when gripped in any way. 

• Reply 26 of 34

After 5+ years, the power button on my 1st gen. iPhone stopped working. The only way it turns off now is if the battery drains. I wish there was a soft-shutdown option on iOS, where I can shut the phone from Settings.

Still, that is a 5+ year old phone. None of the other iPhones I have are problematic with respect to the power button.

• Reply 27 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

After 5+ years, the power button on my 1st gen. iPhone stopped working. The only way it turns off now is if the battery drains. I wish there was a soft-shutdown option on iOS, where I can shut the phone from Settings.

Still, that is a 5+ year old phone. None of the other iPhones I have are problematic with respect to the power button.

I'm sorry, but this gave me a bit of a chuckle.

In your case, if there would have been a soft-shutdown, how would you turn the damn thing on again? :)

• Reply 28 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonteponte View Post

I'm sorry, but this gave me a bit of a chuckle.

In your case, if there would have been a soft-shutdown, how would you turn the damn thing on again? :)

Simply connect it to the power I guess!

• Reply 29 of 34
    oflifeoflife Posts: 120member
    I have a fully functional iPhone 1/2G (circa 2007!) whose only slight sign of age, other than a few minor scratches and dings on the aluminum case is that the top power button does have to be depressed fairly hard, but it probably just needs some switch cleaner.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member

Dangerous to users? That is hyperbola. Yes there are tales of people using 3rd party chargers that have died. There are stories of phones from the iPhone to the Galaxy S series to HTC catching fire to blowing up but these are very very rare and isolated events of dubious heritage.

Dangerous to users is a laughing phrase in this case.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    and you wonder why people want to kill all the lawyers ...
  • Reply 32 of 34
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

This sounds terrible if true, but (fortunately?) my iPhone 4 power button is just fine after 2 yrs 8 mths.

Also I haven't heard locally of any power button problems.

Of course anything can fail, perhaps they should just get their power buttons repaired

and give up trying to get Apple to make them rich !

• Reply 33 of 34
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

What a stupid lawsuit. My Daughter owns my iPhone 4 that is now 4 years old, and the power button is still going strong, and my iPhone 4S now 2 years old has no issues either.

That doesn't represent many data points. It's a mass market item, so some variation is to be expected. I have no opinion whether or not there is a power button issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevt View Post

I'd keep hold of that 4 year old  iPhone 4.  Such early prototypes are hugely valuable.

How so? Perhaps if its serial suggested it as one of the first 100 produced and it's still both aesthetically pleasing and working one or two decades from now. Otherwise I don't agree. Collectors typically want something pristine, working, and as unique as possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikhailT View Post

We need to change the laws to force folks to pay the defendant's lawyer and any filing fees for all lawsuits. They'll change their minds about filing stupid suits like this.

It would backfire in that companies could intentionally use expensive lawyers as a deterrent. 

• Reply 34 of 34
    wovel wrote: »
    Maybe if people did not make ridiculous claims like "dangerous to users" people would be more open to discussing every tiny little issue that comes out.

Have you ever noticed that, with all new irons sold in the US, the instructions state "remove clothing from body before applying iron to clothes"?

Precisely because of lawyers like the one who filed this case.