Apple confirms iPhone trade-in program begins today at retail stores

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

I don't understand the contract requirement. Why would Apple or Brightstar care whether or not I have a contract with a carrier? Why would they not apply the trade-in value to an unlocked phone purchased at full price? I don't understand.

Appears to be USA only. Maybe Brightstar isn't set up to receive outside the USA.

• Reply 22 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwdawso View Post

So how does this work when getting the new "iPhone5S"? Can I go in before "Sept 20" and trade in if I'm having the new one delivered to my door? Will the Apple Store be able to handle the trade in's for people getting the new one on "Sept 20"? (I am assuming the rumored name and date.)

This is exactly the same question that I have as well.

• Reply 23 of 44
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Excellent explanation. Still, I don't see any strike-through, so I guess the article has been updated in the forum (I never go to the homepage)

It was pretty much the entire article.

Thanks. Didn't see any strike throughs at my end, so I guess I opened the page after they altered it. This one on the silent disco patent still has the strike through though:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/159224/apples-silent-disco-patent-lets-ios-device-users-hold-distributed-private-concerts
  • Reply 24 of 44
    If anyone plans on selling their current iPhone to pay for the new one, sell it to Gazelle.com or Ebay or CraigsList now, because the price will only continue to drop.
  • Reply 25 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

I don't understand the contract requirement. Why would Apple or Brightstar care whether or not I have a contract with a carrier? Why would they not apply the trade-in value to an unlocked phone purchased at full price? I don't understand.

Appears to be USA only. Maybe Brightstar isn't set up to receive outside the USA.

At a guess, it would ensure that you are the owner, & that it is not stolen or lost one.

I think a previous thread said that it could be widened to other countries eventually.

• Reply 26 of 44
    So how does one trade-in their iPhone 5 on two-year contract for the next gen iPhone?

It seems iPhone 5 owners cannot participate unless they made their iPhone 5 purchase off contact. Blasphemy for these customers because the trade-in program would put them right back on a contract.
  • Reply 27 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

I'm confused, I have a 6 month old iphone5 with 32G of memory. If I sell it you are saying I can get more then $300 say around $400? Then what? I go and buy a new iPhone5s or iphone6 next year?

I will pay $299 to get thaat new 32GB phone on another 2 year contract. OR I can simply swap my current iPhone at the Apple store without having to do anything much at all.

The difference is at most about $50, are you that badly off you can't miss $50 and then have to go to all the trouble of shipping the phone to get the $$$ then go buy another phone , seems like a wash to me! a reasonable trade off to me for the convenience!

I don't think this is the case, because last year when I went from my 4s to iphone 5 because I wasn't due for an upgrade I still had like 550 or 650 for a 64gb white. So I think if you're not due for an upgrade its more then just $50. There was a report that you could lock in a gazelle price for $330 I believe which is better then the max $280 it says apple is willing to give out. I'm not one for going to an apple store on launch day, so I would rather skip the lines. I want to see what the new phone is then decide if I want to pay 650 and get 330 back

• Reply 28 of 44
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

"Apple confirms trade-in program as Apple continues to be doomed."

There. Fixed that headline for ya image

"There. Fixed that headline for ya image, TROLL"

There. Signed the name for ya image

• Reply 29 of 44
    Ok, so I just got an account so I could voice my thoughts to all you who want to listen. I personally don't like Apples trade-in program. They are just trying to make users buy there own products.

Before Steve died, Apples marketing was a "pull" approach. People "desired" products so they sold themselves. It was either their design, or "apple-genius" that made people want the products, but not it seems to be different. Correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems Apple is using more of a "pull" approach to marketing and trying to get people using their products in different ways that I don't think are necessarily helpful for the company.

For example, they now have there own iPhone trade-in program, which is great, however you ONLY get in-store credit, so technically you "HAVE" to buy a Apple product or something in the store that they approve of. There is no more "choice" involved I feel like. They also might offer you a little more so you feel "oblicated" to go with them appoosed to another buyback comapany. These are all tactics to "make" their users buy their products.

They also are stifling other's businesses by becoming a "apple-control-freak" http://vaultfeed.com/in-store-apple-iphone-trade-in-pays-less-then-gazelle-and-others/ summarized it nicely when they said "Well you wont be able to unless you sell your iPhone elsewhere!" Its just another indication that Apple wants control!!!

I have been seeing the prices that they are offering and they are clearly equal if not above those other buyback companies that have come into the realm like Gazelle.

But now we are all going to feel slightly "coerced" by the Cupertino stores to "buy" and "trade-in" giving Apple ALL the complete control on the sales and distribution of its Apple IOS devices. Is this something you really want?

NOT ME!
  • Reply 30 of 44
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by JpBoram View Post

I personally don't like Apples trade-in program. They are just trying to make users buy there own products.

Holy FRICK, what a concept.

Before Steve died

Here we go.

People "desired" products so they sold themselves.

And this magically doesn't happen now or something?

Correct me if i'm wrong

You're wrong.

For example, they now have there own iPhone trade-in program, which is great, however you ONLY get in-store credit, so technically you "HAVE" to buy a Apple product or something in the store that they approve of.

Magical. They've had an iPod trade-in program for years. GUESS WHO WAS CEO WHEN THAT STARTED.

They also are stifling other's businesses by becoming a "apple-control-freak" http://vaultfeed.com/in-store-apple-iphone-trade-in-pays-less-then-gazelle-and-others/ summarized it nicely when they said "Well you wont be able to unless you sell your iPhone elsewhere!" Its just another indication that Apple wants control!!!

What is wrong with you?

But now we are all going to feel slightly "coerced" by the Cupertino stores to "buy" and "trade-in" giving Apple ALL the complete control on the sales and distribution of its Apple IOS devices. Is this something you really want?

NOT ME!

So don't sell it back to Apple. Geezaloo, paranoia.

• Reply 31 of 44
    They should extend this program to iPad really(cellular only).
  • Reply 32 of 44
    I was kinda hoping I'd be able to to trade in for a new unsubsidized iPhone, which they would help me set up on my existing Verizon plan thus keeping my Unlimited Plan.

Guess that won't be happening.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    From the Apple rumor site that "shall not be linked" from 9to5:

"The new iPhone must be purchased during that same transaction and it must be an activated phone on a contract. Apple and BrightStar will create a trade-in-value for the old iPhone based on screen quality, overall hardware quality, button quality, and based off the device having or not having liquid damage.

Why do I fear a run on Genius Bar visits from folks trying to get scuffed up iPhones swapped to better their payout
  • Reply 34 of 44
    gazoobee wrote: »
    This makes the whole thing sound like a complete waste of time.  I don't know why they bother.  

The program is designed around those that bought on contract and are about to do so again. So the value is based on what came out of their pockets for the iPhone they are turning in.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    v5v wrote: »

It's to weed out resellers who do stunts like buy phones and sell them overseas for huge markups. Also ones that buy old phones for cheap, bring them into the Genius Bar and get them swapped saying they don't turn on or some such and then rolling them via this for an unlocked phone for cheaper. And various other games.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    jpboram wrote: »
    Ok, so I just got an account so I could voice my thoughts to all you who want to listen. I personally don't like Apples trade-in program. They are just trying to make users buy there own products.

Then don't do it. Don't buy Apple at all if you dislike their tactics so much.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    _rick_v__rick_v_ Posts: 142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This makes the whole thing sound like a complete waste of time.  I don't know why they bother.  

All these restrictions combined with the low prices they offer make it just a way of stealing business from those little phone booths in the malls, which is I guess the point, but still ...

Anyone who actually owns their phone, and anyone who actually wants to get real value for the old phone before they buy a new one is not going to avail themselves of this "opportunity." 

Yes, of course, you'll get more money if you sell your old iPhone privately!  That's what I've done with every iPhone I've had-- sold on Craigslist, and often completely offsets the cost of the new one.

However, many (most?) people don't want to bother with the hassle with all that (and yes, it *is* a hassle).  My dad, for example, would rather throw the old one in a drawer than go threw the trouble of selling it online.  But he certainly be up for a trade-in!  It's really no different than trading in a used car at a dealership; yes, you can make a bit more selling privately, but most people don't have the time or inclination.

• Reply 38 of 44
    jpboram wrote: »

Before Steve died, Apples marketing was a "pull" approach. People "desired" products so they sold themselves. It was either their design, or "apple-genius" that made people want the products, but not it seems to be different. Correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems Apple is using more of a "pull" approach to marketing and trying to get people using their products in different ways that I don't think are necessarily helpful for the company.

For example, they now have there own iPhone trade-in program, which is great, however you ONLY get in-store credit, so technically you "HAVE" to buy a Apple product or something in the store that they approve of. There is no more "choice" involved I feel like. They also might offer you a little more so you feel "oblicated" to go with them appoosed to another buyback comapany. These are all tactics to "make" their users buy their products.

I have been seeing the prices that they are offering and they are clearly equal if not above those other buyback companies that have come into the realm like Gazelle.

NOT ME!
    Here is a tip for future posts,
    most people never read a reply to an article that is longer than the article

PS your woman is hot :)
  • Reply 39 of 44
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JpBoram View Post

Ok, so I just got an account so I could voice my thoughts to all you who want to listen. [...] NOT ME!

Josh, with due respect I'm honestly a little surprised that you are able to sell your writing if your post here is any indication, but maybe I'm just too critical. I will beat you up on one point though:

THAN!

Less THAN Gazelle... not THEN.

Then is a when, not a comparison.

Please go back and correct that headline.

• Reply 40 of 44
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    So this is useless to people on family plans. Nice.