Brisbane Apple Store construction back on track after delays and rumors of cancellation

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Blueprints and architectural drawings filed with city officials in Brisbane, Australia, reveal that Apple is planning to move forward with construction of a retail outlet located in the historic MacArthur Chambers building.

Brisbane Apple Store

The latest construction details and revisions filed last week can be taken as confirmation that Apple has not abandoned the Brisbane location, the development application of which was first disclosed in 2011, reports ifoAppleStore.

Apple was thought to have scrapped the store after the project was delayed by a bankruptcy filing from a major contractor in 2012 and reported issues with modernizing the innards of a historic building. The MacArhur Chambers building dates back to the 1930s and was used by U.S. General Douglas MacArthur in World War II as the allied forces' South West Pacific Area headquarters.

According to the revised landscape plan, Apple is planning to remove a number of structures on the sidewalk in front of the store, like a large pedestrian bench, as well as relocate a tree to create symmetry with the store's front entrance.

While the recent filing did not indicate a concrete opening date, it is thought that the Brisbane Apple Store could be operational as early as October.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    I hope so, the new store opens in October, I will be in Queensland for a month of R &R and would love to visit the Brisbane store, If it opens. Great location.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I don't really think they should be opening new stores in Australia, the economy is going to poo down here. It does look like a beautiful location though, there's something about the combination of high tech and old buildings.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I don't really think they should be opening new stores in Australia, the economy is going to poo down here. It does look like a beautiful location though, there's something about the combination of high tech and old buildings.

You're missing the <s> tag.

• Reply 4 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

You're missing the <s> tag.

I take it you live in Australia too? In which case I don't understand how you could fail to see things starting to go south economically. Why do you thing the RBA has lowered interest rates to 2.5%? That said, if construction is already started, they might as well finish it, because things will pick up eventually.

• Reply 5 of 29

Quote:

I take it you live in Australia too? In which case I don't understand how you could fail to see things starting to go south economically. Why do you thing the RBA has lowered interest rates to 2.5%? That said, if construction is already started, they might as well finish it, because things will pick up eventually.

Whilst Australia is an island continent, it is not an island economically but has weathered recent economic storms quite well. So yes, it is easy to see you point of view. Still, doing quite well.

• Reply 6 of 29
    I don want to sound pedantic.... But the world started phasing out blueprints in the 1940's. That was 70 years ago and yet we still hear this archaic term...referring to an archaic analogue function. We live in a digital world now..... I guess the US still refuses to adopt the metric system....
  • Reply 7 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange whip View Post

I don want to sound pedantic.... But the world started phasing out blueprints in the 1940's. That was 70 years ago and yet we still hear this archaic term...referring to an archaic analogue function.

What do you think they should be called?

• Reply 8 of 29

I don want to sound pedantic.... But the world started phasing out blueprints in the 1940's. That was 70 years ago and yet we still hear this archaic term...referring to an archaic analogue function. We live in a digital world now..... I guess the US still refuses to adopt the metric system....

Guess we should phase out the floppy as a save icon, "files", "folders", "photos", and all that, eh.

• Reply 9 of 29
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

Since there is no other documentation other than blue prints on these old buildings there is nothing else we can use. In my country they started to put the blue prints on microfilm in the 70's but if you pull up a buildings construction drawing down at city hall they'll give you the blue prints to view because the quality of the microfilm is poor.

Great that we now live in the digital age, but we can't change history. And even so, building drawings are still handed over for approval on paper, not digital.
  • Reply 10 of 29

Quote:

I guess the US still refuses to adopt the metric system....

Apple products are designed in the US and are hard Metric. US autos are Metric. It's a toss up in civil engineering works being metric or not. The US Military is metric.

On the other hand the entire European aerospace industry is Imperial or at best soft Metric.

• Reply 11 of 29

Quote:

...I guess the US still refuses to adopt the metric system....

Not an issue universally in the States:

http://www.livememe.com/rlkqsox

...and a comment on the Australian economy, a single instance of course but none the less a valid comment:

http://smh.domain.com.au/real-estate-news/barangaroo-apartments-sell-out-20130831-2sxal.html

All the best.

• Reply 12 of 29

Quote:

What do you think they should be called?

Plans. ?

• Reply 13 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    ascii wrote: »

Don't you guys say ... 'see things starting to go NORTH economically', down under? ... :D
  • Reply 14 of 29
    konqerror wrote: »
    Apple products are designed in the US and are hard Metric. US autos are Metric. It's a toss up in civil engineering works being metric or not. The US Military is metric.

On the other hand the entire European aerospace industry is Imperial or at best soft Metric.

What was that story about a screw up with some parts for the space station? I'd always assumed that was because the US parts were imperial and the European parts were metric? Was it in fact, the reverse?
  • Reply 15 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Don't you guys say ... 'see things starting to go NORTH economically', down under? ... image

Of course, perceptive question. Just shows that as much as we admire ascii, his argument isn't all there. image

• Reply 16 of 29

And your Mac doesn't have a DeskTop then I assume? ;) Words morph in meaning over time anyway as they get adopted into a new age of technology. I was just reading about (and I even vaguely remember this) a 'prime' lens in photography only meant the lens you used most, not one that is 'non zoom and really good glass ... bla bla bla' .. as they are these days. I am going to dig out an old photography text book of my grandfather's to check this in case I've been had by an urban legend story ... :)

As someone from Europe now in the USA, my biggest question / complaint is the America removing 4 fl oz from a pint of beer! Now that is a real problem ;)
  • Reply 17 of 29
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Quote:

I take it you live in Australia too? In which case I don't understand how you could fail to see things starting to go south economically.

I take it that you are comparing it against itself because if you compare it with the US and Europe, Australia is booming.

The drop in interest rate is probably a proactive step rather than the reactive step that all the other governments did.

• Reply 18 of 29
    elmoofoelmoofo Posts: 100member
    Bankruptcy?! Seriously?
  • Reply 19 of 29

Quote:

But you do sound pedantic.

Which country lead the creation of this silicon, fiber optic, and software world you call "digital"? What? USA. Say it LOUDER please so everyone can hear... 

Wait, is this the same country doesn't use the metric system?

I think you just proved that being technologically advanced has nothing to do with adopting the metric system.

Don't hate on the US because we're awesome and we do our own thing.

• Reply 20 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

But you do sound pedantic.

Which country lead the creation of this silicon, fiber optic, and software world you call "digital"? What? USA. Say it LOUDER please so everyone can hear... 

Wait, is this the same country doesn't use the metric system?

I think you just proved that being technologically advanced has nothing to do with adopting the metric system.

Don't hate on the US because we're awesome and we do our own thing.

The irony is that the US still clings to imperial systems even though it is indeed pretty much the birthplace of the digital world we now inhabit.  There was no hate there, California, in particular is one of my favourite places. I do admit there was a little bait there.... which was gleefully gobbled up by everyone aboveimage. To pile irony on irony, the rest of us look smugly back at the US chiding this use of archaic systems whilst we, in the 'new world' go about comparing how big our TV's are in inches!

Now back to my gripe. The first line of the article says "Blueprints and architectural drawings filed with city officials". This is just made up nonsense. You don't lodge 'blueprints' and architectural drawings at the same time, that just sounds silly. If you want to sound cutesy you I suppose you could use the archaic term 'blueprints'. Or, you could simply state that the development application was lodged, as you will typically have architectural drawings, engineering drawings, planning reports etc etc etc.

Now, all of you have replied to my post, that was apparently pedantic, and if so perhaps it should have been ignored. But you did, so here is my right of reply. To all of you in California, in particular, i meant no offence, just a mild baiting.image