Brisbane Apple Store construction back on track after delays and rumors of cancellation

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

And even so, building drawings are still handed over for approval on paper, not digital.

not in Brisbane...

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/planning-building/applying-and-post-approval/lodging-an-application/electronic-file-requirements/index.htm

• Reply 22 of 29
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    philboogie wrote: »
     And even so, building drawings are still handed over for approval on paper, not digital.
    not in Brisbane...

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/planning-building/applying-and-post-approval/lodging-an-application/electronic-file-requirements/index.htm
    <div id="user_myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>

That is one modern government / city! The whole world should learn from this and adapt; I think the old school paper is way too cumbersome and making copies only looses quality over time. Not that printing drawings is a bad thing; it is way easier to fold out an A0 sized drawing and viewing the drawing at once as opposed to looking at a monitor. Thanks for the link.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    ascii wrote: »
    I take it you live in Australia too? In which case I don't understand how you could fail to see things starting to go south economically. Why do you thing the RBA has lowered interest rates to 2.5%? That said, if construction is already started, they might as well finish it, because things will pick up eventually.

When Apple first announced the store chain, a lot pundits thought it was a bad idea because online shopping was the future. Apple pressed on regardless and I understand that the stores are doing pretty well.

I suspect that Apple will one day set up some kind of comms network with stations inside the stores, so potential sales may not be the only reason to open a store.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

I suspect that Apple will one day set up some kind of comms network with stations inside the stores, so potential sales may not be the only reason to open a store.

Interesting thought! Another thing about the stores is that they always buy prominent lots in elite shopping districts. So if computing becomes more wearable, and starts to be sold in or near fashion districts, they have future proofed themselves against that too.

• Reply 25 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I take it you live in Australia too? In which case I don't understand how you could fail to see things starting to go south economically. Why do you thing the RBA has lowered interest rates to 2.5%? That said, if construction is already started, they might as well finish it, because things will pick up eventually.

Well as a fellow Australian, who lives in Queensland, I look forward to the store opening. The people mainly hurt by a weak economy are rarely the more wealthy targets of Apple. I'd start getting concerned if I was selling Android phones of course ;)

• Reply 26 of 29
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaayco View Post

Well as a fellow Australian, who lives in Queensland, I look forward to the store opening. The people mainly hurt by a weak economy are rarely the more wealthy targets of Apple. I'd start getting concerned if I was selling Android phones of course ;)

I hope you enjoy the store.

I think Australia has been managed exceptionally well over the last few years. Some people seem to be freaking out about the resources industry winding down, but we actually netted very little tax revenue from that. And the fact the non-renewable resources are non-renewable isn't really that much of a shocker.

Also sad that the 3 second sound bites and the "doom-and-gloom" brigade has effectively displaced a history of nuanced political debate.

Then again we do live in a time where people label a leader who effectively manages a one-seat parliamentary majority, despite numerous manufactured scandals, a "failure" and a candidate who couldn't even negotiate a shoe-in minority government "a leader".

/rant

• Reply 27 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaayco View Post

That's true, there are certain in-demand professions who are never unemployed, even in a recession.

• Reply 28 of 29
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

That's true, there are certain in-demand professions who are never unemployed, even in a recession.

Haha - There is an undertone to your response, for whereas you might have been referring to teachers, engineers and lawyers, I don't think you were!

Regardless, this recently: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/australia-you-dont-know-how-good-youve-got-it-20130901-2sytb.html

• Reply 29 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Haha - There is an undertone to your response, for whereas you might have been referring to teachers, engineers and lawyers, I don't think you were!

I was actually referring to engineers, lawyers etc. But you're right, there are other less respectable professions you could say that about too.