Prototype Samsung Galaxy Gear smart watch shown off in pictures

Comments

• Reply 61 of 155
    why would you pull out a product that looks like that when you know that your main rival will bring out something that s smoot, elegant and simple. Maybe the only nice design they wgere able to make was the GS3/4. You d have to pay my to wear that thing.
  • Reply 62 of 155
    Some of you suggested this might be a decoy to throw people off. Here's why I do t think so: all of the leaks have come from Samsung. Samsung keeps sending out these devices and giving interviews "dropping hints" and such. Apple actually tries to keep their hardware a secret and when it leaks it's because there is a leak somewhere far down the line in their vast supply chain. Samsung is intentionally leaking info about this device. Maybe they are hoping to build buzz by leaking specs slowly so as to get the tech crowd talking about the what-ifs. If anything, we are playing right into their hand. The problem for Samsung is that all the leaks are generating very bad sentiment. As for the 10 hour thing: wow! Forget how large the thing is. I can live with that, but 10 hours?

"Hey Bob, what time is it?"

"I don't know; my watch is over there charging next to my phone."

Good luck with that.
  • Reply 63 of 155
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I think this is what their fans were expecting:

"SOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOOOOOL I WATCHED IT SO MANY TIMES IT MADE ME TINGLE WITH EXCITEMENT I BLUDDY GOT GOOSE BUMPS I WANT IT? HOPE ITS NOT TOO PRICEY"

As I'm sure you're aware though, a "concept" video is almost always something more pie in the sky and specifically something that may not even be possible to build.  It's an idea video, a futuristic "what if" and not an actual product design at all.  

When you go to design school, they ask you to think up a concept for product a, b, or c and the idea is to give "free reign to your imagination" and not to be constrained by the realities of materials science, gravity, etc. The real art of design is in some ways the art of taking those concepts and ideas and applying the constraints of reality to them so as to make them manifest.  During that process a lot of the whiz-bang impossible stuff get's pared away. 

Even if this leak is actually fake and Samsung has something better up their sleeve, I would strongly doubt that we will see anything even close to what's in those concept videos.  

Again, from your comments it seems like you are aware of this and I'm not trying to be critical of your reaction.  

I just get so mad when I see concept videos like that and people react with "Wow! Samsung's sure got some amazing designers!"  

• Reply 64 of 155
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

My 7 yr old son had lots of time reading homework last year so it's not like it isn't be taught.

I was taught it in school too but that was sometime in the middle ages.  Perhaps it depends where you go to school.  

In any case, my original point was just that it isn't "instant" (at least not for everybody), whereas with a digital display you simply look at it and the time is there.  Personally, I think we should all go 24 hours time and digital and leave the old analogue clocks behind with all the other cool stuff from the 17th century.  

I would bet it will happen before the end of this century. Lots of things like that are already fading away, but while I agree on this one I certainly don't on all of them.  

Don't even get me started on "Exit" signs. image

• Reply 65 of 155
    So...it's a phone with a couple of straps! Real thinking outside the box stuff!

The next version will have a 5-inch screen.
  • Reply 66 of 155
    The reason Samsung's rumored watch is ugly, clunky, and poorly configured is simple. They didn't wait until Apple came out with their watch and copy it.

Of course, just like Samsung did with their phones, when Apple does come out with their watch, Samsung will "update" and improve their watch.

Monkey see, monkey do.
  • Reply 67 of 155

ALL:

Once again the adage that 'being first is not primarily important', rather  it is far most important to 'be the most creative innovative'.    Credit should be given to those who try to be first.  Sometimes a new device needs time for maturity and acceptance.

Edmund

• Reply 68 of 155

ALL:

Once again the adage that 'being first is not primarily important', rather  it is far most important to 'be the most creative innovative'.    Credit should be given to those who try to be first.  Sometimes a new device needs time for maturity and acceptance.

Edmund

• Reply 69 of 155
    You might want to check your Korean to English translation :)
  • Reply 70 of 155
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I was taught it in school too but that was sometime in the middle ages.  Perhaps it depends where you go to school.  

Don't even get me started on "Exit" signs. :rolleyes:

I found a picture of your old wristwatch, flip up sundial and all. :lol:

What part of EXIT trips you up?
  • Reply 71 of 155
    Hilarious! Before seeing this there was a part of me that said Samsung can't be so stupid as to strap a smartphone on a wristband.

This is worse than I could have imagined. It has a 3 inch screen! It is basically an iPhone 4 with a wristband. Classic. No thought about what might actually be useful on your wrist.

Now I am convinced they have the "Note" version waiting in the wings with a 4" screen. It's like a skit right out of SNL.
  • Reply 72 of 155
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondm16 View Post

I prefer a traditional analogue watch.

They are so hard to use though.  You have to look at it, check out where the arms are, then think about what time that means it is.  Most of them don't even have numbers too, so then you're left counting the marks to see which number it represents. 

Maybe it is just my generation, but I thought most people learned how to tell time around age 5. It is like riding a bike, you don't have to think about. The human brain normally handles that sort of thing automatically. Every elementary school clock I've ever seen was analog. 

• Reply 73 of 155
    gazoobee wrote: »
    They are so hard to use though.  You have to look at it, check out where the arms are, then think about what time that means it is.  Most of them don't even have numbers too, so then you're left counting the marks to see which number it represents. 

A digital watch you can just glance at, and see the time.
    You can also set it for the more sensible 24 hour time and not be bothered by all that, "Is it 12:00 AM or 12:00 PM?" nonsense. 

I understand your reasoning against analog watches. That is assuming you never really use one. I have both, digital and analog watches and I have no problem reading the time in my analog watch with just a glance at it. When you use an analog watch regularly you become so used to reading the time that you don't have to think about it. It becomes second nature. I bet most people that regularly wear one will tell you the same.
  • Reply 74 of 155
    jj.yuan wrote: »

History repeats. MP3 players. Smartphones. Tablets. There is a pattern. Inferior products are in the market for some time before Apple releases its superior product. Then, everyone tries to copy.

This time, I hope Microsoft and Google can both start releasing their smart watches before the iWatch is released. It will be a lot of fun to watch.
    Agreed! Finally and hopefully Apple is back to this strategy... It works well for them :))
  • Reply 75 of 155
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    You will all stop laughing and watch in awe... Once you see the cuckoo coming out.
  • Reply 76 of 155
    Has to be a ruse, not even Samsung would produce this
  • Reply 77 of 155

More pictures are surfacing

• Reply 78 of 155
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by eckergus View Post

I have both, digital and analog watches and I have no problem reading the time in my analog watch with just a glance at it. When you use an analog watch regularly you become so used to reading the time that you don't have to think about it. It becomes second nature. I bet most people that regularly wear one will tell you the same.

When I gave up wearing watches altogether, maybe 8-10 years ago, I found using the digital time on my cell phone more difficult in one particular aspect. When someone would ask me what time it was I felt slightly irritated because I felt it was rude or geeky to tell them the exact time such as 10:26, etc. It did take a second or two to decide what time to round it to for something more polite such as half past ten, where as that would come to mind naturally when wearing an analog watch. Now days it has become socially acceptable to tell someone the exact time without seeming like a jerk, mostly because so many people now use their phone as their time piece.

• Reply 79 of 155
    jonyojonyo Posts: 117member

Even if Apple comes out with a beautiful "smartwatch" that does whatever, I'm just not interested. The cellphone and then the smartphone/iphone took the place of wearing a wristwatch for me years ago, and I'm not interested in having another thing to carry around. I can't think of much it would do that couldn't be done by simply taking your phone out of your pocket and using it instead, other than possibly fitness stuff, like being a pulse monitor at the same time, etc, which I'm not too interested in.

Granted, maybe others are waiting with bated breathe for Apple to do the smartwatch thing in its Apple way, and maybe it'll sell well, I don't know. I do know that I won't be buying one.

• Reply 80 of 155
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    dreyfus2 wrote: »
    You will all stop laughing and watch in awe... Once you see the cuckoo coming out.

No way, I found prior art. :lol: