Not liking Apple.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello.

I'm a regular user here, certainly not a troll, but I have a lot of complaints about Apple.

For starters, I wholeheartly believe that Apple's flagship devices are by a big margin the best on their respective categories. But they are not for everyone.

Some rational people prefer bigger screens. Where's the choice? Some can't justify 700 $ on a smartphone. Where's the choice, besides outdated devices? Some developed countries are ignorated and have no Apple stores. Why?
Who the hell managed the mac pro situation? Who the **** had the idea to ignore Android? Where's ITunes for Android?

There's absolutely no reason for things like this to happen. The truth is that if you can't afford the top of the line device, Apple screws you.

Right know, the iPhone 4 is a pathetic piece of trash. Millions still buy it based on ignorance. The cMBP base 13" has been pathetic for a very long time. There's no reason to feed yourself on the stupidity and ignorance of most costumers, Apple.

Things like this are Samsung-level. Makes no sense.

This isn't about creating viable businesses or not, creating the best products or not. This is greed. There's no valid reason for not having an updated but cheaper quality device. Pathetic companies can do it. Pathetic companies like HTC can use a bigger and better screen then the one used on the current iPhone. No excuse. No excuse for not updating the Mac Pro regularly. No excuse for not having Apple stores in most countries.

Here I am, with a galaxy s3 mini because Apple is the only one that is ruled by a bunch of morons that can't produce a quality device that's cheaper, because 50% margins on 3 year old devices are the only option to make a viable product. After all, what could you do with 10 billion dollars per quarter and 160billion on the bank? Buy a coffee?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I'm a regular user here, certainly not a troll, but

Good start.
    Some rational people prefer bigger screens. Where's the choice?

You can buy an Android phone like the 4" Galaxy S3 Mini, like this guy did:
    Here I am, with a galaxy s3 mini

Wait, the iPhone is 4".
    Some can't justify 700 $ on a smartphone. Where's the choice, besides outdated devices?

It's either old flagship models or cheaper new models with the same internals as the old ones. If anything, the customer gets a better deal out of the old flagship models.
    Some developed countries are ignorated and have no Apple stores. Why?

Same reason every company has limited stores. Every one has to be profitable enough to justify building.
    Who the hell managed the mac pro situation?

It doesn't affect that many people and they've done a great job with the new one.
    Who the **** had the idea to ignore Android? Where's ITunes for Android?

What should they have done about Android and why would they give Android support that encourages people to buy Android devices? Just because you decided to get a Galaxy S3 Mini doesn't mean Apple owes you iTunes support.

Apple sells what it wants to sell. If the market thinks otherwise, they'll adjust. The market is continuing to give Apple record profits.
    Right know, the iPhone 4 is a pathetic piece of trash. Millions still buy it based on ignorance.

Right know, the Galaxy S3 Mini is a pathetic piece of trash. Millions still buy it based on ignorance.
    The cMBP base 13" has been pathetic for a very long time. There's no reason to feed yourself on the stupidity and ignorance of most costumers, Apple.

So you want a cMBP but... ? Too expensive? No dedicated GPU? No Blu-Ray? No quad-core? Macs are expensive relative to PCs because of the components and the huge difference in margins. PC manufacturers make very little net profit, some even make a loss. That's not a healthy way to run a company. Great for consumers until they go bankrupt.
    Things like this are Samsung-level. Makes no sense.

Given that you own a Samsung product, does this mean you aren't happy with it given that it's Samsung-level?
    This isn't about creating viable businesses or not, creating the best products or not. This is greed. There's no valid reason for not having an updated but cheaper quality device.

Why are you venting this just over a week before the next Apple event? They are at the end of most of their product cycles.
    Here I am, with a galaxy s3 mini because Apple is the only one that is ruled by a bunch of morons that can't produce a quality device that's cheaper, because 50% margins on 3 year old devices are the only option to make a viable product. After all, what could you do with 10 billion dollars per quarter and 160billion on the bank? Buy a coffee?

It's not that they can't produce better products at lower prices, they make what they can get away with. Everybody does this. If someone asked you to do a job and you quoted an hourly rate and they said, 'ok I'll pay you if you work twice as much for half the pay', you wouldn't just do it unless you had to. Apple doesn't have to. If they start to lose enough sales to Android, that's when they start doing it but they are still selling 50 million phones a quarter. Wait and see what they do next.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Thanks for your post Marvin, but clearly you misunderstood me.

For starters I said that millions and millions are willingly to pay good money for a bigger screen and that even shitty companies like HTC use bigger screens that beat the one used on the iPhone on every metric. Right or wrong?

However, I didn't say that it was my goal to have that device. Right or wrong?

My goal was more of a midrange product that suits me. I wanted iOS but Apple is the only one incapable to produce said device. Again, compare the s3 mini to the iphone 4.

Apple is milking it. I don't admire Samsung and obviously the s3 mini was overpriced but I got it on a nice vodafone deal and is already rooted and bloat free.

About the Mac Pro situation, it wasn't about the number of machines being sold. It is much more than that and you know it.

About the cMBP 13", I don't have and never wanted that machine because it is overpriced trash. I have an 2011 i7 air and it is the best thing I ever bought, a marvel. Compare that mbp to the retina models, the air, the 15" cMBP... the 13" is so slow, underpowered, outdated and until recently it was the best seller. Feeding on ignorance.

And there's no excuse for lack of stores. Are you seriously bringing the money argument when Apple has so much and selling 4 year old devices for 400 euros? Please. Of course I'm not asking favors, and the store by otself would give publicity and confidence to the ones that are looking to buy apple devices on the country, even if they never go to the store.

And then iTunes for Android. This is about monetizing a platform that is here to stay and has huge market share while gaining leverage with Google, just like it was done with Microsoft. Who bought a PC because of it?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Didn't that Vodafone deal save you some money to hop over to Spain, where Apple has [URL=http://www.apple.com/es/retail/]10 Stores[/URL]? They are working really hard on getting more Stores, but yes, some countries 'rely' on [URL=http://www.apple.com/pt/buy/apr/]APR[/URL]'s.

How in the world can they make iTunes for Android? Please tell me how they can possibly guarantee a fluid, responsive, enjoyable experience for their users? Never mind that writing software for a stolen software product would seem kinda stupid, wouldn't you agree? Especially if they stole it from you to begin with.

If you want iOS, then make a choice of what's available. I don't go to BMW and try to get a truck (maybe they have one, don't know, but surely you get the point). he iPad mini seems like a large phone when compared to HTC and others. Can't you use that with VoIP and a BT headset? That way you'll get iOS, which is what you want. No way to get iOS on HTC or whatever hardware. Ever.

The laptop issue is completely beyond my comprehension.

[quote]A few of your observations made you look like someone without an ounce of education.[/quote]

Good thing Marvin is courteous and has shown great sportsmanship previously, lending me to believe he won't ban you for writing something as derogatory as this. Then again, sometimes the world surprises me. It certainly did today.
  • Reply 4 of 8

I won't say you're right or wrong, but...

If you could do it so much better, then why aren't YOU running a 500 billion dollar tech company?  Go ahead and implement your ideas and show us how your plan is better than Apple's.

We've seen that you can talk big...

• Reply 5 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    For starters I said that millions and millions are willingly to pay good money for a bigger screen and that even shitty companies like HTC use bigger screens that beat the one used on the iPhone on every metric. Right or wrong?

The iPhone sold 31m last quarter with billions in profits - it's over 3x more units than HTC. There's an article here saying HTC might make its first ever loss in over 10 years:

http://www.cultofandroid.com/37112/htc-predicts-first-ever-loss-for-q3-2013/

There's no point in selling millions and millions of phones if you don't make much money because there's no money to expand operations.

Apple has gone down the route of selling screen sizes that are optimal for one-handed use. That's their choice and they are selling more units than every other Android manufacturer except for Samsung. If people are bored with it or prefer bigger screens, they'll stop buying eventually.
    About the Mac Pro situation, it wasn't about the number of machines being sold. It is much more than that and you know it.

The only real problem was skipping Sandy Bridge but remember how long it took for the Mini to be updated when it went unibody. There were articles all over the place saying they'd killed it off. Apple not only redesigned the Mac Pro but moved the production line to the US. It's not a segment for impulse buys, it's one that typically has very long customer upgrade cycles.
    About the cMBP 13", I don't have and never wanted that machine because it is overpriced trash. I have an 2011 i7 air and it is the best thing I ever bought, a marvel. Compare that mbp to the retina models, the air, the 15" cMBP... the 13" is so slow, underpowered, outdated and until recently it was the best seller. Feeding on ignorance.

The Air sells really well. It has to because Apple's average laptop selling price is ~$1270. I'm not following what your complaint is. If you got a cheaper laptop and you are happy with it then why bother about the 13"? The 13" is faster than the Air:

http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

Even though the Air i7 comes within the same range as the MBP i5, a 13" i7 Air costs $1249 and the cMBP costs $1199 and the cMBP you can put 16GB of RAM in and your own SSD.
    And there's no excuse for lack of stores. Are you seriously bringing the money argument when Apple has so much and selling 4 year old devices for 400 euros? Please.

The way they make so much money is by making good business decisions. You also can't just think about the present. Stores cost money to run all the time and those costs eat into profits. Is there a particular location you'd like them to open a store in?
    And then iTunes for Android. This is about monetizing a platform that is here to stay and has huge market share while gaining leverage with Google, just like it was done with Microsoft. Who bought a PC because of it?

PCs came first and hundreds of millions had them before iTunes. Plus iTunes for Windows encourages the purchase of an Apple mobile device. iTunes for Android does nothing for Apple but take away a reason to buy an iOS device. They don't make all that much money from music and they wouldn't sell Android apps.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    philboogie wrote: »
    Didn't that Vodafone deal save you some money to hop over to Spain, where Apple has 10 Stores? They are working really hard on getting more Stores, but yes, some countries 'rely' on APR's.

How in the world can they make iTunes for Android? Please tell me how they can possibly guarantee a fluid, responsive, enjoyable experience for their users? Never mind that writing software for a stolen software product would seem kinda stupid, wouldn't you agree? Especially if they stole it from you to begin with.

If you want iOS, then make a choice of what's available. I don't go to BMW and try to get a truck (maybe they have one, don't know, but surely you get the point). he iPad mini seems like a large phone when compared to HTC and others. Can't you use that with VoIP and a BT headset? That way you'll get iOS, which is what you want. No way to get iOS on HTC or whatever hardware. Ever.

The laptop issue is completely beyond my comprehension.
    So by your logic I should go to Spain to buy a phone?

Windows was a stolen product. ITunes on windows is embarassing. The experience is poor but it makes sense to have it. Same thing with Android.

And Apple had a deal for me... a 4 year old device for twice the price of a nice dual core, jelly bean, 1 gig ram s3 mini.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    So by your logic I should go to Spain to buy a phone?

No, of course not; you're already happy with the s3. Two phones wouldn't make sense to me. Unless you want to drop that and go for an iPhone; then I'd go to an APR, or, guess what, even easier: www.apple.com/pt
    ITunes on windows is embarassing. The experience is poor but it makes sense to have it. Same thing with Android.

Wouldn't make any sense for iTunes to be on Android.
    And Apple had a deal for me... a 4 year old device for twice the price of a nice dual core, jelly bean, 1 gig ram s3 mini.

This dual core, jelly bean, 1GB s3 doesn't run iOS, so what's the point?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    dupe