Rumor: First video of working 'iPhone 5C' shows off Web browsing capabilities

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A low-quality video posted to a Chinese website on Monday offers what is purported to be one of the first looks at a working version of Apple's rumored low-cost "iPhone 5C," with the device shown navigating the Online Apple Store with iOS 7's Safari app.

Render
Rendering of iPhone 5C in white.

If legitimate, the short clip, posted to Chinese tech blog C Technology (via Sim Only Radar) as a "hands on" video, is the first time Apple's rumored "iPhone 5C" handset has been seen completely assembled and powered on.

Due to the video's low quality and somewhat questionable content, AppleInsider cannot vouch for its authenticity and offers the following for purposes of discussion.

Not much can be gleaned from the roughly 50-second video, though the handset in question appears to sport a red or pink plastic shell, one of the features industry watchers expect to see in the iPhone 5C. At first glance, only the bright backlit screen can be made out from the grainy image, though a closer look reveals both an ear speaker and front-facing camera aligned in much the same way as Apple's current-generation iPhone 5.

Only one app, Safari, is highlighted in the clip, while browsing is limited to Apple's webpage.The handset appears to be operating on a Wi-Fi, as a plane icon indicating Airplane Mode can barely be made out at the top left corner of the screen next to what are assumedly connection status bars. Page loading speed, scrolling and gesture input all seem to be in line with current generation technology, in line with analyst predictions that the 5C will forego high-end internals to keep build costs down.

Also seen on the right hand portion of the device's screen is Apple's AssistiveTouch icon, an accessibility feature built into iOS meant to help with UI navigation.

It should be noted that the rumored 5C's design is thought to be very similar to Apple's current iPhone, meaning the video may simply show a "hybridized" handset with the internals of an iPhone 5 running iOS 7 beta shoehorned into a "leaked" plastic shell. Previous images of the plastic casing have shown minute differences from the iPhone 5's aluminum back, such as screw anchor placement for the logic board, implying that an internal component swap out would be difficult to execute cleanly.

Apple is widely expected introduce the iPhone 5C alongside a next-generation flagship handset being called the "iPhone 5S" at a special event on Sept. 10. A number of major cellular carriers in the U.S. are rumored to have blacked out vacation dates on and around Sept. 20, indicating a possible release during that time period.

Most recently, AppleInsider reported that AppleCare employees have been restricted from taking vacations between Sept. 15 through 28, suggesting a launch during that period.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    Looks legit to me. Also it appears that it's operating on airplane mode with WiFi enabled.
  • Reply 2 of 71

I hate these leaks. And wishing, on the main day, the iPhones 5[C,S] should look very very very radically different. Industry goes WOWWW!  I really wish.

• Reply 3 of 71
    nchianchia Posts: 124member
    Of course it's legit, just listen to the music!

More interesting for me is all of theses "leaks" mean iOS 7 GM is locked in?
  • Reply 4 of 71
    Looks legit to me. Also it appears that it's operating on airplane mode with WiFi enabled.

WiFi is off when in airplane mode until now, why change it?
  • Reply 5 of 71
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    broadbean wrote: »
    Of course it's legit, just listen to the music!

More interesting for me is all of theses "leaks" mean iOS 7 GM is locked in?

Yeah I'm guessing we won't see anymore UI changes and the icons are probably staying as is.
  • Reply 6 of 71
    With iOS 6 you can activate plane mode and then turn on wi-fi. That's how you can still surf on planes over wi-fi.
  • Reply 7 of 71
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

I hate these leaks. And wishing, on the main day, the iPhones 5[C,S] should look very very very radically different. Industry goes WOWWW!  I really wish.

How "radically different" can an iPhone really look, considering it's a minimalistic design wrapping a 4" screen, needs a home button, and has to keep functionality in mind while being non-offensive for hundreds of millions of people in every region of the world? Some of you live in a fantasy land where you want companies to make decisions and products based on fiction, instead of what makes sense and is practical. Should the phone look like an octagon? Or have a massive hole in the middle? Or be made out of some weird material, just to be "radically different" for the sake of it? I don't get it. I'm sure Apple would make it "radically different" if it made sense to do so, and if would then be a better product for the hundreds of millions of potential buyers, not to excite some nerd. 

Oh, and if you "hated" these leaks, you wouldn't be visiting an Apple rumor site every single day. Some of you people are extremely strange and nonsensical. 

• Reply 8 of 71
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

For a 50 IQ point increase, name the website you posted this on.

• Reply 9 of 71
    Looks like UI is adapted to the color of front glass. On the video Safari's UI is black.
  • Reply 10 of 71
    sergesf wrote: »
    Looks like UI is adapted to the color of front glass. On the video Safari's UI is black.

Safari UI goes only black when u turn on private browsing. Looks like the guy turned private browsing on. Why why would he do that now :) ?
  • Reply 11 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Should the phone look like an octagon? Or have a massive hole in the middle? Or be made out of some weird material, just to be "radically different" for the sake of it?

they should have a low calorie iPhone with a massive hole in the middle
  • Reply 12 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by TogetherWeStand View Post

WiFi is off when in airplane mode until now, why change it?

Turning Airplane Mode on will still disable WiFi but you can then re-enable WiFi on it's own while staying in Airplane Mode... Can't remember when this got introduced but it's been a feature for some time now...

Edit: jcbigears beat me to it! image

• Reply 13 of 71

Quote:

How "radically different" can an iPhone really look, considering it's a minimalistic design wrapping a 4" screen, needs a home button, and has to keep functionality in mind while being non-offensive for hundreds of millions of people in every region of the world? Some of you live in a fantasy land where you want companies to make decisions and products based on fiction, instead of what makes sense and is practical. Should the phone look like an octagon? Or have a massive hole in the middle? Or be made out of some weird material, just to be "radically different" for the sake of it? I don't get it. I'm sure Apple would make it "radically different" if it made sense to do so, and if would then be a better product for the hundreds of millions of potential buyers, not to excite some nerd. 

Oh, and if you "hated" these leaks, you wouldn't be visiting an Apple rumor site every single day. Some of you people are extremely strange and nonsensical. 

Wise words.

It is strange how those who call Apple - a design-whore mostly, meaning it is all about design (  keep in mind, those people DO not know what design means. They often think it is scribbling, ence the rounded-corner patent tirade  ), are the same crying desolation when Apple keeps its consistency design-wise.

• Reply 14 of 71

Quote:

They did do something radically different. iOS 7 and Biometrics. Those are radically different but practical stuff.

• Reply 15 of 71
    Am I the only one that finds the iPhone 5C ugly? They could have designed it like the rear of the new iPod at least or similar to that. I think Apple is running out of ideas.
  • Reply 16 of 71

Quote:

Quote:

One thing Apple can still surprise on still is price. :) Of course they run the risk of that getting leaked a day before the event as well.

• Reply 17 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by stylorouge View Post

Am I the only one that finds the iPhone 5C ugly? They could have designed it like the rear of the new iPod at least or similar to that. I think Apple is running out of ideas.

What the...? I don't get it when "people" vomit this. I could understand the previous sentence, but the bolded part has nothing to do with it.

So... Let's rationalize a little. If they made a phone that is a copy of another Apple product (iPod), it would be original. Since it's different, they are running out of ideas? What? Do you even have a brain?

Anyway... This video can't be seen as legit for obvious reasons, but I am really liking how the 5c is turning out to be. Even if it stays at the 400 - 450 € price tag, it will be a great, up-to-date new and fresh offering. My (irrelevant) complains about that part of the spectrum would disappear. They even seem to be focusing more on software again, and with all those datacenters getting ready, services will only get better.

I would still like to see something different in other categories. There's no room for the 13" cMBP anymore, or the iPod classic. A 17" retina and SLI would kick some serious ass. Prices on the retina models should cover the cMBP price range. The air is awesome but desperately needs an IPS screen. iPad mini meets retina. iPad has a "mini-like" make up. iMac is updated, Pro is released. More updates to software suites like iLife and iWork. Bring back iWeb.

(dreams)

A bigger screen iPhone line to complement the 5s. A new TV paradigm. A new watch paradigm.

(dreaming about dreams)

Apple buys TESLA. Musk becomes CEO. :)

Edit: Oh, I forgot! IGZO and Liquidmetal on every single device!

• Reply 18 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Apple buys TESLA. Musk becomes CEO. :)

He doesn't need to be the CEO. Just Senior Vice President of Car Engineering or something so he will be focused on inventing things than working as CEO like oversee everything, micro managing, negotiate with partners and carriers, etc etc. His skills and talent will get wasted being Apple's CEO. Even if he's after legacy, recognition or spotlight, he'll get that a lot working as SVP at Apple.

• Reply 19 of 71
    What I feel is the most interesting part when discussing Apple's design is that from my POV they are obviously making some effort to significantly increase market share in areas of the world that obviously have a different preference when it comes down to design.
    In short, I could very well see that the 5C is targeted mainly at folks in China, India. Plus I think it might appeal more to younger people.
    Which to me for the first time clearly shows the bridge they have to gap between "design we guys like and feel is the best" and "design many many other people prefer".
    You might call this deviation from the "path of purity" if you like, or "stupid not to compromise in colours because that way you'd miss a huge opportunity". Wonder where the border is. Apart from that Steve will be right even with this one when he said: it's easy. People will buy it. Or not. Can't recall at what occasion he said this. But he did.
  • Reply 20 of 71
    Oh, and the article title really made me chuckle: it's like. Wow,...man!...new iPhone can actually browse the web! ;)