Apple's rumored 'iPhone 5C' Quick Start guide, retail packaging reportedly photographed

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Here's another leaked photo of an alleged 5C. Something just doesn't look quite right with these phones. The display doesn't look to be flush with the plastic, and the plastic even looks like it has a bit of a lip around the edges. And the packaging doesn't really look like packaging we've seen before from Apple. Also, I don't know if it's the lighting or what, but sometimes these shells look very light, very pastel, and then othe times (like the photos below) they look darker, brighter and more vibrant. What gives?

There's just something about this whole 5C that makes me think we're missing an important piece of the puzzle. Like this phone will actually be price cheaper than expected off contract or will only be sold in certain markets like a China. Look at any of Apple's current cheaper products (iPods, iPad mini, Mac mini, etc) and none of those products actually look cheap. I hate to say it, but this 5C does. So if these leaks aren't fake I hope the product will be priced cheap.

iphone-5c-yellow.jpg

iphone-5c-blue1.jpg
  • Reply 42 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

iphone-5c-yellow.jpg

iphone-5c-blue1.jpg

Although these coloured wallpapers would never be my choice, it surprises me how disharmonious iOS 7 appears to be with some wallpapers. The blue and pink ones in particular look terrible. The lack of shadows becomes really apparent at this stage. On iOS 6 it doesn't matter, the OS provides sufficient contrast where it matters.

• Reply 43 of 65
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    kallt wrote: »
    Although these coloured wallpapers would never be my choice, it surprises me how disharmonious iOS 7 appears to be with some wallpapers. The blue and pink ones in particular look terrible. The lack of shadows becomes really apparent at this stage. On iOS 6 it doesn't matter, the OS provides sufficient contrast where it matters.

These pictures also show iOS 7 with black text instead of white, even if they are just printed overlays:

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/design/

I can't make out icon drop shadows in the photos either like you can see in the iOS 7 site.
  • Reply 44 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

T

The packaging looks the same in both photos to me. Also, to some people saying that apple would never use that bg color, I think it would like great in a store. To see a wall of one color, then another.. It may or may not be the actual installed bg, but if so it's not hard to change the bg. I'm curious what they'll do in place of the iPhone 4, or if they'll just drop the free variant. That's probably a big question to many.

Ok, that was perspective error then.  I thought they were 'cups' that the phone or part of the packaging would stand up in; that is they were similar width-ways to the old inserts you had for the iPod/iPhone docking stations.

However, having looked at the later pics from the side I can see how it works.

• Reply 45 of 65
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    Apple would not use a pink background to show off their new iOS 7 icons. Fake.

Not really- the iPod Nanos do it currently- it's just for the packaging anyway:

http://www.apple.com/ipod-nano/
  • Reply 46 of 65
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Here's another leaked photo of an alleged 5C. Something just doesn't look quite right with these phones. The display doesn't look to be flush with the plastic, and the plastic even looks like it has a bit of a lip around the edges. And the packaging doesn't really look like packaging we've seen before from Apple. Also, I don't know if it's the lighting or what, but sometimes these shells look very light, very pastel, and then othe times (like the photos below) they look darker, brighter and more vibrant. What gives?

There's just something about this whole 5C that makes me think we're missing an important piece of the puzzle. Like this phone will actually be price cheaper than expected off contract or will only be sold in certain markets like a China. Look at any of Apple's current cheaper products (iPods, iPad mini, Mac mini, etc) and none of those products actually look cheap. I hate to say it, but this 5C does. So if these leaks aren't fake I hope the product will be priced cheap.

iphone-5c-yellow.jpg

iphone-5c-blue1.jpg

These look completely real to me and completely believable too. 

- the "lip" effect is an optical illusion caused by the transparent plastic holdfasts at the corners

- the packaging is very, very similar to the iPod touch packaging (so not new at all).

- the graphical, lack of shadows effect is intentional (they are selling "flat" and "simple" here after all)

- the colours change with the lighting effect, like all coloured materials, especially ... plastics. 

I'm thinking they will be priced lower than most people expect.  They have to be around $300 to compete for marketshare with Android, it's anyones guess whether Apple will do what it usually does and price them a bit higher than they "should" ($350-$400) or do what they do only once in a long while and price them a lot lower than expected ($200-$250).  

I don't think it looks "cheap" at all, it looks totally "new" instead.  And it seems unlikely they are destined for "certain markets" as the world doesn't really work like that anymore.  How could they possibly stop it being sold around the world, and for what crazy reason would they want to?  If a customer in Maine wants an iPhone 5c, why wouldn't they allow them to have one?  Makes no sense. 

Lots of little American girls and boys will be getting one of these for Xmas for sure.  

• Reply 47 of 65
    T
    The packaging looks the same in both photos to me. Also, to some people saying that apple would never use that bg color, I think it would like great in a store. To see a wall of one color, then another..

Except Apple doesn't out their high price, thus highly theft tempting, products on the floor. The article is dead off on that notion.
  • Reply 48 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Apple would not use a pink background to show off their new iOS 7 icons. Fake.

Why wouldn't they?

How about these for thoughts. It's just a printed bit of plastic so it might just be showing the color of the phone to make it easier for resale.

I'm pretty sure that Apple will have left in the option to change the background.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doxxic View Post

Three things make me think these pictures are fake:

- the phones are on while packed.

- the phones are pink, while the more credible pictures always show white, red, blue, yellow, and green.

Facepalm!

They aren't on, it's just a cover to show what it'd look like.

They are doing a gold iPhone 5S to sell well in China and the Middle East, they'd be mad not to do a pink one to sell well to women/girls.

• Reply 49 of 65
    rogifan wrote: »

There's just something about this whole 5C that makes me think we're missing an important piece of the puzzle. Like this phone will actually be price cheaper than expected off contract or will only be sold in certain markets like a China.

I don't see Apple doing this much just to have a cheap phone for one or two markets.

If they are making this phone it is more likely to replace the 30pin sporting 4S. Have this and the full 5s as the options. Using 'fun' colors and a tougher shell make it hopefully more appealing to kids and teens, and more durable.

It could be sporting a mix of iPhone 4S and 5 bits perhaps with smaller size choices. Like say this is 8 and 16 and the 'full' iPhone is 32 and 64. Scaled so the 32 is the $199 price.
  • Reply 50 of 65
    kallt wrote: »

These are shipping plastic stickers. They don't 100% reflect iOS. Why bother for something is about to be ripped off and trashed.
  • Reply 51 of 65
    The more I think about this the more I come to the conclusion that the 4/4S cannibalized the 5 more than Apple was expecting or wanted. So they're not going to make that mistake again. The flagship model will be the premium device. It will look and feel that way and will have some brand new features that the low cost model doesn't get. People who aren't as price sensitive can more easily be upsold to the flagship phone. And the design of the lower cost phone will make it cheaper to manufacture so Apple can reach a price point that will make it worth while in the markets they will be pushing this hard in, like China. What will be interesting is to see how hard Apple pushes the 5C in North America.
  • Reply 52 of 65
    evilution wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they?
    How about these for thoughts. It's just a printed bit of plastic so it might just be showing the color of the phone to make it easier for resale.
    I'm pretty sure that Apple will have left in the option to change the background.

Facepalm!
    They aren't on, it's just a cover to show what it'd look like.
    They are doing a gold iPhone 5S to sell well in China and the Middle East, they'd be mad not to do a pink one to sell well to women/girls.
    Why do people keep saying Apple is doing a gold phone to pander to China? Especially when these low cost colored plastic phones are supposedly geared towards China?

First of all the phone isn't going to be real gold. It will be a champagne colored anodized aluminum. It seems more likely that Apple wanted to introduce another color or two to the flagship model and since the low cost phone is also going colored, Apple decided to keep the flagship model in metallic tones and not use bright colors like the low end phone is getting. I highly doubt they chose this color to pander to a specific region or race. Besides apparently one of the most popular after market color options for the 5 is gold, so this champagne colored phone may end up being really popular in North America and Europe.
  • Reply 53 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

These look completely real to me and completely believable too. 

- the "lip" effect is an optical illusion caused by the transparent plastic holdfasts at the corners

- the packaging is very, very similar to the iPod touch packaging (so not new at all).

- the graphical, lack of shadows effect is intentional (they are selling "flat" and "simple" here after all)

- the colours change with the lighting effect, like all coloured materials, especially ... plastics. 

I'm thinking they will be priced lower than most people expect.  They have to be around $300 to compete for marketshare with Android, it's anyones guess whether Apple will do what it usually does and price them a bit higher than they "should" ($350-$400) or do what they do only once in a long while and price them a lot lower than expected ($200-$250).  

I don't think it looks "cheap" at all, it looks totally "new" instead.  And it seems unlikely they are destined for "certain markets" as the world doesn't really work like that anymore.  How could they possibly stop it being sold around the world, and for what crazy reason would they want to?  If a customer in Maine wants an iPhone 5c, why wouldn't they allow them to have one?  Makes no sense. 

Lots of little American girls and boys will be getting one of these for Xmas for sure.  

Agreed. The 5C looks better than I thought it would. Not my personal cup of tea, but still better than the Lumia and most candy-colored Androids.

As far as price, I find it interesting that these phones come with the tool to unlock the SIM card. Currently only unlocked iPhones come with that tool, so I'm guessing Apple expects to sell a lot of these 5Cs unlocked. That being the case under $400 is definitely where the price would need to be for the majority of these to sell unlocked.

I'm thinking $350 for the entry level 8GB model/s

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

These pictures also show iOS 7 with black text instead of white, even if they are just printed overlays:

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/design/

I can't make out icon drop shadows in the photos either like you can see in the iOS 7 site.

Looks like some of the icons were redone slightly as well. I'm thinking this leak is legit though.

The font color changes depending on the background so that makes sense.

• Reply 54 of 65

Quote:

The more I think about this the more I come to the conclusion that the 4/4S cannibalized the 5 more than Apple was expecting or wanted. So they're not going to make that mistake again. The flagship model will be the premium device. It will look and feel that way and will have some brand new features that the low cost model doesn't get. People who aren't as price sensitive can more easily be upsold to the flagship phone. And the design of the lower cost phone will make it cheaper to manufacture so Apple can reach a price point that will make it worth while in the markets they will be pushing this hard in, like China. What will be interesting is to see how hard Apple pushes the 5C in North America.

I think the 5C will be marketed just like the iPods.

It's interesting that there will probably not be any new iPods this year, so maybe Apple plans to use the 5C as it's fun youth driven market product for the holiday shopping season.

The 5C will presumably be cheap enough to be bought out right as a gift (under $400), and it'll sport the fun and new iOS 7 right out of the box. Sounds like the perfect gift, and maybe Apple will throw in some surprise parental control features for it as well?

• Reply 55 of 65

Quote:

Why do people keep saying Apple is doing a gold phone to pander to China? Especially when these low cost colored plastic phones are supposedly geared towards China?

First of all the phone isn't going to be real gold. It will be a champagne colored anodized aluminum. It seems more likely that Apple wanted to introduce another color or two to the flagship model and since the low cost phone is also going colored, Apple decided to keep the flagship model in metallic tones and not use bright colors like the low end phone is getting. I highly doubt they chose this color to pander to a specific region or race. Besides apparently one of the most popular after market color options for the 5 is gold, so this champagne colored phone may end up being really popular in North America and Europe.

I forecast that the Champagne (if not the graphite model) will be the most popular color for 5S in North America as well. People will want their all new iPhone 5S to stand out from all of iPhone 5s out there, so they will probably opt for the new color/colors rather than last years Slate and Silver models.

• Reply 56 of 65

First let me say you've got a systemic problem with your new logon process.  I was going to post a brief amused message in passing so I created an account, it took me to who knows where, my dyslexic mind took another twenty minutes to get back here......................................

So, all I wanted to mention is, it's amazing how fast the whole discussion degenerated into a conversation about Color, and Ping on top of that

• Reply 57 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

These are shipping plastic stickers. They don't 100% reflect iOS. Why bother for something is about to be ripped off and trashed.

If Apple didn't bother about it, they would've just used cardboard packaging as it did with the iPhone 5. Clearly, Apple wants to show off the product, so the way in which it is presented does matter. Why then use images that don't accurately depict what will be on the screen? It is this attention for detail that Apple used to be renowned for.

• Reply 58 of 65

The display doesn't look to be flush with the plastic, and the plastic even looks like it has a bit of a lip around the edges.

Yep, sounds about right. 

And the packaging doesn't really look like packaging we've seen before from Apple.

It looks just like the packaging we've seen for years.

There's just something about this whole 5C that makes me think we're missing an important piece of the puzzle. Like this phone will actually be price cheaper than expected off contract or will only be sold in certain markets like a China.

It will HAVE to be for anyone to actually want to buy it. People are complete idiots, yeah, but even they recognize pointlessness when they see it. The 5C will have to be different from what we expect.

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Why bother for something is about to be ripped off and trashed.

First day reading about Apple, huh? image

• Reply 59 of 65
    Sorry everyone I still don't think this looks like normal Apple packaging. Now the green phone below does, but it looks different than the other photos. Or maybe it just seems that way because of the angle of the photos.

green_iphone_5c.jpg
  • Reply 60 of 65
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Sorry everyone I still don't think this looks like normal Apple packaging. Now the green phone below does, but it looks different than the other photos. Or maybe it just seems that way because of the angle of the photos.

green_iphone_5c.jpg

I just don't see what you're getting at.  This is identical to the others except the sticker has been taken off.  

Apple has always used such stickers for products that you can see through the box like this also, so this one would seem to be less "Apple-like" than the ones with the stickers. 

Edit: actually I take it back, the Apple logo is upside down on this one, so this is obviously the upper part of the box, (with the iPhone inside), laid on top of the inverted lower box, which is why it looks slightly different.