Windows 8 jumps past Apple's OS X with 7.4% market share

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    XP is like a free OS in China. They don't even bother with Windows 7, XP runs everything and works with all the cheap USB junk. It's not like there's new hardware coming out that actually needs Windows 7 or 8 either. And corporations are usually on XP because all the shitty "enterprise" software can never be upgraded to Windows 7 without massive rewriting and cost, so they just leave it be.
  • Reply 22 of 75
    As esquared mentioned, with Windows on ALL pcs this comparison is literally apple and oranges.
  • Reply 23 of 75

Windows comes installed on every PC. Box-makers have no choice. 

Meanwhile Macs continue to set the bar when it comes to the synergy of form and function. For years and years now. 

(oh, and actual PROFIT, too.)

• Reply 24 of 75
    I think Apple could gain more marketshare if it trimmed its margins just a little bit. Love the Mac, but it is pricey. I know the quality is good, but I can spec out a gaming rig I build myself for less that will run circles around any iMac, and I know Apple pays less for their parts than I pay. However, I do concede that Apple has unique motherboards that are probably more costly to make than an ATX form factor board, and my home made PC would still be a Windows machine and it would still be a big freakin' box that sits on the floor, gathering lots of dust from the carpet that has to be cleaned often. Still, it would be nice to see the Mac get to 20% marketshare...
  • Reply 25 of 75

Apple owns the top-tier of the market. The top of the retail pyramid. This is pure gold for anyone in the industry. Lower volume, higher profit. 

• Reply 26 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Windows comes installed on every PC. Box-makers have no choice. 

In all fairness; (i) Macs come pre-installed with OSX; (ii) Apple does not* give box makers a choice.

* and should not

• Reply 27 of 75
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

In all fairness; (i) Macs come pre-installed with OSX; (ii) Apple does not* give box makers a choice.

* and should not

I don't get this...  On the mac, there are no box makers since everything is made by Apple - there are no other box makers.

• Reply 28 of 75
    No surprise here. Apple's business model will prevent it from ever gaining significant marketshare. Windows 8 blows, IMHO, but that won't prevent it from gaining share especially as OEM's are forced to bundle on their new PC's. Windows 7, however will be the dominant PC operating system for the next few years...
  • Reply 29 of 75

It's a post-pc world. iOS and (I hate to say it) Android are destroying the regular pc industry. Steve Jobs definitely saw it coming when he announced we're moving into a post-pc world years ago. I wouldn't say Microsoft is doomed but they will not be the dominent player they used to be.

• Reply 30 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by karmadave View Post

No surprise here. Apple's business model will prevent it from ever gaining significant marketshare. Windows 8 blows, IMHO, but that won't prevent it from gaining share especially as OEM's are forced to bundle on their new PC's. Windows 7, however will be the dominant PC operating system for the next few years...

PC sales are dying. Consumers are realizing an appliance like the iPad does everything they need.

• Reply 31 of 75
    karmadave wrote: »

Dominant PC operating system, yes. Enjoy the ride.
  • Reply 32 of 75
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    ruel24 wrote: »
    I think Apple could gain more marketshare if it trimmed its margins just a little bit. Love the Mac, but it is pricey. I know the quality is good, but I can spec out a gaming rig I build myself for less that will run circles around any iMac, and I know Apple pays less for their parts than I pay. However, I do concede that Apple has unique motherboards that are probably more costly to make than an ATX form factor board, and my home made PC would still be a Windows machine and it would still be a big freakin' box that sits on the floor, gathering lots of dust from the carpet that has to be cleaned often. Still, it would be nice to see the Mac get to 20% marketshare...

1. Why should Apple care about getting to 20% market share? What would it do for them that they don't get now? Hint: selling more boxes doesn't mean more profits - and if they had to cut prices, they might actually earn less. There's a reason why Apple makes most of the industry's profits.

2. Where's your evidence that Apple could significantly grow market share with a price cut? I'm not sure anyone has ever measured the price elasticity of Apple's computers. A large fraction of the PC market wouldn't switch to Macs at ANY price.

In the end, I trust Apple to know what they're doing more than some random stranger on AI.
  • Reply 33 of 75
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member

Apple needs another "Think different." campaign...

They need to run more TV ads for their Macintosh products...

The public needs to know more about why the Mac is a better computing experience than the PC...

I believe Apple is focused too much on promoting iPhone and iPad at the moment, and is not working on promoting the Mac.

• Reply 34 of 75
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Plus, embedded Linux absolutely trounces OS X when it comes to microwave ovens.
  • Reply 35 of 75
    Rosario, yes I agree with you on that point. Though I was fortunate enough to get a Windows 8 license for free from their special giveaway ( http://thebigdog.yzi.me/windows8?ref=4R70fmHxc ). Really glad I jumped on it at the right time.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    Soon Microsoft will be sitting in ALL the deck chairs of the sinking ship. Congrats to them.
  • Reply 37 of 75
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    andy-uk wrote: »
    I think Apple had a golden opportunity to take market share from Microsoft when Windows 8 was announced in 2011. If they'd priced the MacBook aggressively I'm sure they could have won over lifelong Windows users who, like me, were unconvinced by the new OS but instead Apple lowered the spec of the MacBook retina range (no IR receiver, no Firewire port, no dedicated graphics card, no optical drive, no user access for hardware upgrades) and raised the price. Not smart.
    The 13" MacBook Pro stayed exactly the same price as its been since its debut in June of 2009. In fact, they upgraded it last year improving the processor, graphics, architecture, and Ram- all at no cost increase.

Now you're trying to compare the classic with the retina which is a brand new Mac all to its own. Which is unfair.

So everything you said was factually untrue.
  • Reply 38 of 75
    This does put desktop computing in perspective, especially when you realise that the vast majority of this user base is corporate. Yes it's true mobile is the growing market but within corporations where real number crunching and documents get generated, windows is still king. Unfortunately that will not change until Apple offers a serious contented for Office and Excel in particular. OSX really hasn't made a big dent in the corporate market if these numbers are to be believed.

It would be very interesting if OSX was able to run on PC/Laptop platforms and was promoted as such.
  • Reply 39 of 75

I wonder how much Apple really wants the home computer market. If they wanted more revenue from home computers they would bring back the Mac vs. PC ads. The Windows 8 OS is so annoying I'm sure writers could come up with thirty reasons the Mac is better than Windows 8. It would be fun too.

The new Mac Pro looks great. What could they do with a less powerful home desktop unit that is much more powerful than a Mac Mini? Top of the line i7 chips and tons of ports would be the way to go. it could be a shorter version of the Mac Pro. The thing that is very impressive about the System 76 desktop units are the amount of ports they have. I would also like a disc drive as an option. That way it could make me happy and those of you who think they're archaic wouldn't have to get one. You could order a second hard drive in that space.

Since Vista I've really hated Microsoft. The more they fail the happier I am. These days I'm only concerned about Linux and OS X. If I ever buy a tablet or smart phone I'll delve into whichever OS comes with the device I buy. The proof that Microsoft is in the toilet is the tiny bit of market share it has almost a year into the release of Windows 8. Remember that Microsoft is working its way into cars. It is probably exploring other devices too. If one of those takes off they could rebuild themselves in a new market. Apple did the same thing with phones, then tablets. What is next for both of them?

• Reply 40 of 75
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I believe MS doesn't support XP anymore, at least update wise.

They do until April 2014. Then custom support only for $200 per year per machine through 2017