Shazam app gets faster, better recognition and integrated Twitter previews in update

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Music and TV show audio recognition app Shazam pushed out an update on Monday, bringing faster performance for older Apple handsets as well as deeper social media integration with Twitter.

Shazam

Shazam and its for pay partner app Shazam Encore both reached version 6.2.1 with the latest update, which promises higher performance, new Explore features and, for U.S. users, enhanced TV capabilities.

According to Shazam's release notes, the apps feature "much faster" recognition, especially tuned for the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS. In addition, the software has been tweaked to better recognize songs and TV shows in crowded or loud environments.

Tighter integration with Twitter is also included, with followers able to play track previews in the microblogging service's app or Web portal, as well as through Shazam's Twitter Card.

Explore charts, which were introduced as a content discovery tool in a previous update, are now "more dynamic" and show a rolling list of popular media from the past seven days.

Finally, U.S. users are able to access new TV functions in-app, though the feature was not described in detail.

Shazam weighs in at 17.8MB and can be downloaded from the App Store for free, while the ad-free Shazam Encore, which offers full track playback with Spotify, can be purchased for $6.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Improvement to speed up for iPhone 4 an 3 Gs sounds great but isn't value for the iPhone 5 user. Nice but not must have ;-)
  • Reply 2 of 10

Originally Posted by MacHarry de View Post

but isn't value for the iPhone 5 user.

So you missed the part where it's faster overall, huh.

• Reply 3 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Shazam is the epitome of bloat ware.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Shazam is the epitome of bloat ware.

agree ...  and "ad-ware," and "screw-the-user-ware," etc., etc. 

It's a shame, because recognising music is such a magical, useful feature but to have it in the hands of these idiot shysters is just wrong.  

I don't for the life of me understand why iTunes doesn't recognise music.  It would be far more useful than "genius" or "radio." 

• Reply 5 of 10
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Until 30 seconds ago I had no idea Shazam would recognise TV shows.  Seems weird to me, but I'm off to try it out....

• Reply 6 of 10
    Sound hound. Does similar, more tightly focused and less bloated.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

People still use Shazam?  I was always more of a Soundhound guy until Google added song recognition into their search capabilities.

• Reply 8 of 10
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I use the product Red version no ads for years and part of the proceeds go to a good cause.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shazam-red/id341382680?mt=8
  • Reply 9 of 10
    hill60 wrote: »
    I use the product Red version no ads for years and part of the proceeds go to a good cause.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shazam-red/id341382680?mt=8

**** that crap. I'd rather buy a decent Product Red product.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Sound hound. Does similar, more tightly focused and less bloated.

I don't know, after a quick gander Soundhound looks pretty bloated as well.