AirPort Express stock-outs at Apple retail stores and Best Buy may hint at upcoming refresh

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'd prefer the update process be expedited, as stated. It is, in this case, no more difficult than plopping a new board into the same case and running it through the gambit of EM tests. The product holding clamps don't even need to be rebuilt. Certainly that isn't true of their computers that use new chips.

Whats to say that some Apple products haven't already got ac built in, much like bluetooth that was activated in the iPhone with a software update.

• Reply 22 of 29
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Whats to say that some Apple products haven't already got ac built in, much like bluetooth that was activated in the iPhone with a software update.

Because they would have activated them when they released the new Airport Extremes and Time Capsules.

And nothing has been released since then.

• Reply 23 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

802.11ac. Why Apple doesn't update all their products with new tech at once just boggles my mind. They do want us to adopt new tech, don't they? They seem to be on both extremes about that: They'll take something like Thunderbolt and use it thirty years before anyone else would… and then they go and wait months to actually get 802.11ac into any of their devices, much less all of them. 

Because 

1) the current AExpresses worked fine with the new Extremes and TCs, and with the MBAs released this midsummer.

2) critical mass is in iOS devices.  this timing makes sense. Putting out a new Extreme base station 4 months before allows those with MBAs (who are spending $1XXX) to have the ability to exploit over 300mbps... That is a select few [I would venture to guess most people [99%] who own apple endpoints and Apple Airports have a <100mbps Internet uplink, and no internal server that absolutely demands over 300mbps service.   Most would be quite happy with getting 50mpbs between their Air device and local Itunes library for syncing, and their 25mpbs downloads from the interwebs) who DEMAND 600mbps+ performance out their wireless network would be buying a full basestation anyway, and spending $299 for that after upgrading all their internal wiring to Cat6, spending $100+ a month just on 50mbps Intertubes, and having a PetaByte server of the entire PirateBay collection is a mere pittance.   It's a order of magnitude pairing.

Now... Once Apple 'sells' iPhones with 'ac' on them, that will shift to a feeding a buying spree... top of mind... "We announce today a new phone, and a new wireless standard... buy the phone for $299 at your local VeriSprint&T store, and buy one these little beauty's for $99 and get the FULL bandwidth, FARTHER than curretnly possible"

2) a 4 month lag is not like a 3 year product roll-out.

3) since it's a draft standard, getting a platform out there to verify it, and work out the bugs (ala MBA networking) is a big deal.   Best not to go to market to sell 100million iPhones and iPads, without some 'field' experience with the draft std.

As for the extremes,

While I agree (FireWire comes to mind for me), I think they are pretty good sizing a performance envelope and picking a technology to run with.  Moving to USB in 1998 was a serious move.  

And 'ac' is a sub standard under the 802.11 spec.  They are riding this horse a long time by your definition.  they've built in Wireless since the original iMac, even as a non portable.   This is like moving from USB 2 to USB 3, not like moving from SCSI to Thunderbolt.

Now Power Chips... they ran that horse to long... but that was because IBM/Moto couldn't innovate the heat/power consumption curve that a MBA really required.

• Reply 24 of 29
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Well an update is about time. However I'd like to see a slightly more involved update. In that regard I'd like to see at least 128GB of storage for iTunes music (preferably 256GB). In effect add a music server functionality to the unit and allow streaming to iOS devices.

This would require an update to iTunes allowing users to split their libraries into music and "other" media. This is needed anyways. Especially for those of us with lots of video ( developer and WWDC videos).

In any event if you travel with two or more Apple devices it actually makes a lot of sense to have your music in a common place. Some might argue that is the iPod/iPhone but then you are killing the battery every time you stream something. I need to think on this some, but a "serving" ability in the Airport Express would be nice. If not iTunes conventional file sharing would be nice.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    evilution wrote: »

Actually it is pretty easy to say that isn't the case. The development of the standards is a public endeavor. Further the chip vendors are fairly forward about when hardware is ready. In a nut shell there has to be hardware available for it to end up in Apple hardware. Since none of this stuff has been revved since the new hardware arrived there is no chance of it contains the latests standards support.
  • Reply 26 of 29

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

OK, so you've proven that you HAVEN'T ever done product development or managed a product line.

So instead of further snide comments, couldn't you say something as to the other idea put forth?

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

We would have seen the chips in the teardowns, it would have been activated already, and you mean like 802.11n in the 2007 iMacs, not Bluetooth, and not the iPhone.

• Reply 27 of 29
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    So instead of further snide comments, couldn't you say something as to the other idea put forth?

I already did - and you simply proved that you don't understand enough about manufacturing and product development to understand the most basic product management concepts. You also showed that, as usual for you, you weren't interested in learning anything. At that point, there's nothing left but snide comments.
  • Reply 28 of 29

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I already did - and you simply proved that you don't understand enough about manufacturing and product development to understand the most basic product management concepts. You also showed that, as usual for you, you weren't interested in learning anything. At that point, there's nothing left but snide comments.

Spectacular. Except you provided no new information to learn, nor did you correct me at any point.

• Reply 29 of 29

Well, if you have new TC, you don't need extenders. I had an old one plus that little  box (2012 model) and, with the new TC, all devices seem to ignore it and just connect to TC. It mostly sits idle, playing music every now and then. 

New TC seems to have 3 times the range (100 ft to 2 bars on iphone5) in my unscientific experiments :)