Set to depart Nokia, Stephen Elop eyed as top candidate for CEO of Microsoft

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

Why not announce this with Ballmer's retirement? Why not delay Ballmer's retirement announcement a couple of weeks so they could announce Elop as the next CEO? They already know this guy, why haven't they given him the job already?

I don't see this happening.

MS still cannot help itself it seems.

So they're still rearranging the deck chairs, Elop as the new CEO or not.  Let's see how things look in a year.

• Reply 22 of 39

I cant think of a better candidate for CEO. Elop has failed in every leadership position he has taken.  His latest, being the most destructive...taking Nokia and flushing it down the failed Windows Phone toilet.  I can not wait for him to increase the fail rate at Microsoft. This is great!!!

• Reply 23 of 39

What about Satya Nadella?

• Reply 24 of 39
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Not saying they couldn't change their mind, but the only announcement the board has made so far is that they said they were going to pick from amongst their own ranks.

i.e.- someone from the board would be tapped as the next CEO.  

• Reply 25 of 39
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

My god, we've gone from Uncle Fester to Comedian/Actor Robert Wuhl.

Tell me he's not the spitting image...

• Reply 26 of 39
    melgross wrote: »
    There is no way a company the size of Microsoft gives someone the top position because of loyalty alone.

What's the alternative explanation? That he would be the right man for the job?
  • Reply 27 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Aww… I'd hoped AI would have posted the GOOD version of this picture.

You mean this one?

32359673-1459-47fd-ac2d-db0f62227623_Ballmer.gif

• Reply 28 of 39

The .gif you mean?

edit: pipped by BigMac2
  • Reply 29 of 39

Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

That's the one… it's almost comforting in its creepiness now.

• Reply 30 of 39

The more I think about this, the more balmy this whole deal sounds.

Wait...

• Reply 31 of 39

Quote:

That's the one… it's almost comforting in its creepiness now.

Here is a compilation of Ballmer's "goof"

http://news.yahoo.com/steve-ballmer-gif-retirement-party-153638957.html

• Reply 32 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

2) He was a Microsoft agent from the start. He drove Nokia's share price down to a level that Microsoft could afford (less than Google paid for Motorola, less than Microsoft even paid for Skype). He handcuffed Nokia to Microsoft's operating system, got rid of all of Nokia's software talent and cancelled every 'plan B' project. He backed Nokia into a corner where Nokia was no longer in a position to refuse Microsoft's offer. He played his role perfectly and is the perfect candidate to become CEO of Microsoft.

I hate it when the conspiracy theorists are right.

BINGO!

• Reply 33 of 39
    andysol wrote: »
    That interviewer was very annoying... how many times can a guy say I'm not going to answer?

And that makes it OK?
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Well it's a Win-Win deal. But not for Microsoft or Nokia.

• Reply 35 of 39

Quote:

In that picture I see the dead eyes of a circus clown.

• Reply 36 of 39
    elop=flop. the shortest distance between two points. microsoft's time has come. microsoft's time has passed.
  • Reply 37 of 39

Fire one guy for running the company into the ground and hire another who will undoubtedly do the same....sounds very Microsoftian to me. I really hope this is not the case for them. 

On another note, I still believe that Nokia would've done well to purchase Palm/WebOS and push it's own platform. To me the only problem that plagued WebOS was that Palm could never deliver good enough hardware to go with it. Nokia doesn't have that problem. Imagine these new series of phones that Nokia's been producing, but instead of running Windows Phone they were running an updated/iterated version of WebOS. now THAT would be something very competitive that I believe would have no problem carving out a very strong 3rd position in the market.

• Reply 38 of 39
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I'll say this: Elop and Ballmer both respect the personal property of others who don't buy Microsoft. /s

Yeah. Looks like they found a spoiled brat with social skills deficit to replace a spoiled brat with social skills deficit.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    melgross wrote: »
    Strange, as Elop was thought to be at risk at Nokia because of the failure of Win Phone gaining enough sales after this amount of time. Also, Nokia was trying very hard for several years to get rid of their networking g business, which will now be their main business.

Well... what is realistic expectation of new platform's success, on market with two heavyweights sparring for the last 5 years or more?

Lumia line has good growth and my understanding is that it brought Nokia back to profitability... but they did start from cold zero. Asha line has underperformed, but isn't that basically remaining of Symbian platform?