Apple fixes iLife for iOS apps' compatibility issues ahead of iOS 7 launch

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has pushed out an update for its iLife line of iOS apps to address compatibility and stability issues just a week before the company is expected to unveil the newest version of iOS.

Tuesday's update brings iMovie to version 1.4.2, GarageBand to version 1.4.1, and iPhoto to version 1.1.1. None of the descriptions for the updates go into much detail on their features beyond saying that the update "addresses compatibility issues," though the GarageBand update says it "addresses minor issues related to general performance and stability."

The updates may be tied to Apple's recently confirmed media event scheduled for September 10. Industry watchers generally expect that Apple will reveal two new versions of the iPhone ? one a higher-end model, the other a polycarbonate-backed lower-end model ? and a final version of iOS 7.

The new version of iOS will sport a new design that does away with the skeuomorphic aesthetic seen throughout earlier versions of the operating system. Tuesday's update could be aimed at ensuring full compatibility when iOS 7 rolls out.

All three updates are available in the App Store currently. iMovie is a 497MB download available for $5. GarageBand is a 584MB download that costs $5. iPhoto, too, costs $5 and weighs in at 151MB.

GarageBand requires an iPhone, iPod, or iPad running iOS 5.1 or higher, while iMovie requires iOS 6.0 or higher. iPhoto requires an iOS device running iOS 6.0 or higher.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15

Sigh, when are they going to update the OSX version of iPhoto to have the same feature set as the iOS version

• Reply 2 of 15
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Maybe they secretly have the new icons inside and will switch over when iOS 7 is installed? :)
  • Reply 3 of 15

Is it possible that they will update OSX and iWork and iLife (on both plataforms) to be more in line with the new design language?

• Reply 4 of 15

There are no iOS 7 icons bundled in the packages (yet).  I just went through the resource folders after the update and it only contains the iOS 6 icons.

• Reply 5 of 15
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Is it possible that they will update OSX and iWork and iLife (on both plataforms) to be more in line with the new design language?

It seems to me that if they release iOS 7, they have to release the new iOS 7 update to iCloud, and to do that they have to update the iCloud iWork apps even if only to update the icons.  It makes sense to update the apps in iOS and OS X at the same time.   

It could be that after years of waiting they are finally getting their finger out and doing some actual work on iWork.

• Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It seems to me that if they release iOS 7, they have to release the new iOS 7 update to iCloud, and to do that they have to update the iCloud iWork apps even if only to update the icons.  It makes sense to update the apps in iOS and OS X at the same time.   

It could be that after years of waiting they are finally getting their finger out and doing some actual work on iWork.

I really hope so.

But I'm even more interested in OS X's overall look. Is there any chance to change icons and default "theme" to be more like iOS? I think it would make sense for obvious reasons.

• Reply 7 of 15
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    One thing that really annoys me: a photo album AND iPhoto. You don't have two separate apps on the Mac. Why have two separate apps on the mobiles? Just seems a little sloppy.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    nm

• Reply 9 of 15
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

One thing that really annoys me: a photo album AND iPhoto. You don't have two separate apps on the Mac. Why have two separate apps on the mobiles? Just seems a little sloppy.

iPhoto is a paid app, and the majority of iOS users probably don't have it. So Apple can't just discard the integrated Photo Album app. You can always hide it if it bothers you.

• Reply 10 of 15
    focher wrote: »
    What happened to the rumor of apple possibly offering iLife as part of their "download free" lineup?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Originally Posted by jman225 View Post

What happened to the rumor of apple possibly offering iLife as part of their "download free" lineup?

I don't recall that ever being a rumor.

• Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jman225 View Post

Perhaps we can make a list of Apple rumors and then evaluate what ever happened with those rumors?

While Apple rumors are fun to hear and react to, you can always pinpoint the moment in time when they are verified as true - when Apple confirms it. All the rest is the geek equivalent of TMZ.

• Reply 13 of 15
    The two apps that frustrate me most are iMovie and iPhoto. I had a version of iMovie on my iPhone 3GS that worked perfectly. The next update told me that it was incompatible with my iPhone because I needed a front facing camera. Who shoots video with a front facing camera? On my iPod touch it also told me that it needed the compass! Why for gods sake? I had deleted the old version of iMovie to make room for the new version an cannot go back to the old version. Why doesn't Apple let you install an earlier version that works?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    cornchip wrote: »
    I'm with you.
    I tried the iPhoto app, and while I was sorta impressed I just can't fit it into my "workflow". Too many media libraries already! And on the iDevices there simply aren't any ways to save big amounts of data over time, like a growing photo library. Does it all transfer to iCloud or iPhoto on your mac? Or what's the preferred long term workflow here?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    As a developer, what's really going to be interesting is how Apple will actually accept apps for the new kids category. Currently they are rejecting apps without a parental gate, but they have given no guidelines really on what this parental gate should do / or work like in order to get approved. Hopefully this comes soon.