Prototype Samsung Galaxy Gear smart watch shown off in pictures

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 155
    Unrelated to Samsung I don't get why anyone would buy and wear a smart watch. We're supposed to wear a smart watch AND carry a smart phone AND use a tablet...? When is enough enough? Maybe I'll understand it after Apple releases theirs to help me understand. 
    I agree with your point about most people not wanting to wear that thing. I think the idea behind Apple's interest is not having multiple devices with screens (I'd say 1-2 if those), but to wear biosensors that change your health and lifestyle choices based on valuable info they provide.
  • Reply 142 of 155
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    On the bright side, this will give ammunition to the later articles on how Samsung copied Apple's iWatch.  This will be the part where they show "what Samsung smart watches looked like before the iWatch came out."  

Followed by the shot of the Samsung watch that looks startlingly identical to whatever Apple comes out with next year.  :)

Exactly right.
  • Reply 143 of 155
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It looks to be about 12am. That picture is from Norway, right?

Nailed it.  That picture was taken around 12am at the Alta Fjord in Alta, Norway.

• Reply 144 of 155
    The Samsung Galaxy Gear looks weird.
    http://bit.ly/15kW1OJ
  • Reply 145 of 155
    10 hour battery life... for a watch?! So if you get up at 8 am, your watch dies at 6 pm? You have to recharge it during the day? Great excuse for teenagers staying out way past midnight, though.
  • Reply 146 of 155
    Hopefully Apple will power the watch part of the device with a standard watch battery so the watch will tell the time even when the smart watch battery is expired.
  • Reply 147 of 155

I have said it before and I'll say it again, not samsung and not apple will ever get this iwatch business into mainstream use unless big ass flares and paisley 'body' shirts come back into fashion big time.

At best it will be a niche market for joggers and the like.

In fact I would not be surprised if Apple's take on this is just a big smokescreen to throw others off the track, if Apple has a new product it's sure to be something from left field, it won't be worn on the wrist. We are not yet in Futurama territory.

• Reply 148 of 155
    They should go with pocket watch instead of wrist watch. Just attach gold chain to s4 and add coupon to local tailor to sew in pocket for it.
  • Reply 149 of 155
    wisdomseed wrote: »
    This is the place where Apple type innovation is really required. Okay so Sammie's watch in the pic is fugly, brutally fugly. It is a Curly double take, ugly. But the hideousness of it didn't bother me as much as a 10hr battery did. It wouldn't make it through a workday. That is stupid. And why they hell would they need a wi-fi antenna on a watch? But that begs the question, "Just what do you need from a watch?'. And what should you be going through to get it. Is the watch an extension of the phone in your pocket, or something in an of itself? 

A big problem will be battery life, although the Fitbit I have (the One) lasts a few days off of a quick charge. Apple can win this. Easy.

I totally agree with you. It seems that some of people that would go for this watch will end up charging THREE devices every night: Smart phone, Bluetooth earpiece, and the stinking smart watch too! That's kind of a pain...

And yes, as you said, is this device an extension of your phone or a device of its own? I mean, is the purpose of this device to simply make us lazy to the point where we would rather buy a smart watch just so that we don't have to make "the great effort" of taking the stinking phone out of our pocket or holder? We are getting pretty pathetic as a society if that's its ultimate purpose.
  • Reply 150 of 155
    gcom006 wrote: »
    And who the hell wants to do FaceTime/Skype on a smart watch, really?!? Just hold your arm up in that position for 30 seconds and tell me it's a good idea.

You said it my friend, Gorilla Arm Syndrome.
  • Reply 151 of 155
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eckergus View Post

I mean, is the purpose of this device to simply make us lazy to the point where we would rather buy a smart watch just so that we don't have to make "the great effort" of taking the stinking phone out of our pocket or holder? We are getting pretty pathetic as a society if that's its ultimate purpose.

I have to wonder if that's what people said about the invention of the wrist watch back when pocket watches were the norm.

• Reply 152 of 155
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Sony just introduced their smartwatch version two. Not that much of an improvement in the looks dept IMO.
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/04/sony-smartwatch-2/
  • Reply 153 of 155

I'm not really sold on the whole watch idea anyway. As has been said by this fine collection of folks, the implementation is what matters. I don't wear a watch now as it is. I work in front of my Mac all day. In the car or out and about I have my iPhone. I don't buy tech for tech's sake. It has to improve my life or help me be more efficient for me to put my dollars down.

Even if Apple decides to move into this, I can't imagine it is something I would buy. We'll see.

(of course, I'm not implying that I am typical, or that everyone else thinks like me....in fact I know they don't)

• Reply 154 of 155

I don’t know about this one, it seems a little big for my wrist. I guess it is a good start for that fabled best smart watch but I will wait… But it looks good on you honest ;) .

• Reply 155 of 155
    kia12111kia12111 Posts: 1member
    I can't wait till that watch phone come out I'm going to be on it