New 'Stanford 2' Apple Store reveals new architectural design language

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple is expected to revamp the architectural design of its Apple Store outlets as it opens new locations worldwide, the first example of which was revealed on Monday at the forthcoming "Stanford 2" store in Northern California.

As reported by ifoAppleStore, the new Stanford location features an open design with three all-glass walls and a steel roof overhang running around the store's perimeter. The architecture allows for a huge amount of natural light to cascade in, as well as maximum product exposure to passersby.

Inside, the wide space is covered with gray Italian stone tiles, while the rear wall is made from a similar gray stone that holds a long backlit display unit. Two doors in the wall lead to a second retail area with additional wooden display tables.

Apple also reworked the plaza immediately outside of the store to maintain symmetry, reconstructing a pair of bench/planter features flanking the store's front door.

Stanford Apple Store
View from side of Stanford 2 Apple Store.

Apple's new architectural style will also be seen at future stores in Portland, Ore. and Aix-en-Provence in France.

The publication said that products were arriving to the Stanford 2 Apple Store on Monday ahead of a possible opening day on Sept. 14.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Am I missing something? What's new about this? It looks similar to the stores I've seen in Melbourne and Sydney.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Just in time for the new iPhones event!

Now MSFT will need to change their store to ape Apple... again.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jcbigears View Post

Am I missing something? What's new about this? It looks similar to the stores I've seen in Melbourne and Sydney.

I don't know about the Melbourne store, but the Sydney store has stone columns and is built into a city block while this has three walls that are solid glass. The roofs are also a little different

• Reply 4 of 13
    I love the Apple stores. They are just like beautiful modern "museums" where one can abmire beautiful crafted pieces of technology. (sigh). What can I say? I love Apple culture.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Just amazing looking, but I don't like the lack of functional exterior barriers to prevent 'smash and grab' thefts.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Well that glass could easily be stronger than a simple solid wall.

Looks a smidge like the yacht deign? Flat protruding horizontals with transparent simple verticals?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    This way consumers will realize how difficult it is to read in direct sunlight. Maybe future screen tech will adapt and this design will showcase how the screen changes with the daylight so you can see its content.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Just amazing looking, but I don't like the lack of functional exterior barriers to prevent 'smash and grab' thefts.

Just like with Apple's iTunes Store strategy against piracy, these designs are meant to be visually striking and inviting for the honest customers who flock to the store to buy lots of products. Far more attention must be paid to facilitating commerce than to isolated incidents of crime.

Though a smash and grab may be possible, those glass panels look to be about 1.5" thick and possibly tempered. Imagine the weight! I sure wouldn't want to be inside a crash vehicle with most of one of those panels crashing down on me like a glass guillotine. If nothing else, the fallen pieces could easily crush the perps and/or create a formidable barrier to escape.

• Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Just like with Apple's iTunes Store strategy against piracy, these designs are meant to be visually striking and inviting for the honest customers who flock to the store to buy lots of products. Far more attention must be paid to facilitating commerce than to isolated incidents of crime.

Though a smash and grab may be possible, those glass panels look to be about 1.5" thick and possibly tempered. Imagine the weight! I sure wouldn't want to be inside a crash vehicle with most of one of those panels crashing down on me like a glass guillotine. If nothing else, the fallen pieces could easily crush the perps and/or create a formidable barrier to escape.

This is what happens:  

• Reply 10 of 13
    The 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica California is very similar and beautiful. I saw it the other day and was blown aqua by its openness and large wide ceiling.
  • Reply 11 of 13

Looks very similar to the Scottsdale, Kierland store, except for the glass side, but the whole building looks so open when passing and it stands out from the building next door.

• Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by indigo80 View Post

Looks very similar to the Scottsdale, Kierland store, except for the glass side, but the whole building looks so open when passing and it stands out from the building next door.

I was just there yesterday am....and that was my first thought when I saw this photo. 

P.S. That store is always busy, but it is spacious enough that it's OK. I can still get to handle the stuff on the tables.

• Reply 13 of 13

The grand opening with t-shirts for the first fifteen hundred guests is tomorrow morning Saturday September 7 at 10 am. I'll be there about 4AM to get in the queue.

5:40am and I am the only person here. I'm number one in the queue and there is no number two. ! ????