Sony's new iPhone-compatible Cyber-shot lenses set to launch this month starting at $250

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by willrob View Post

There's no mention of what format the images are. I assume it's too much to hope there is a way to shoot RAW, but I suspect they will be JPEG, at least on the phone. While the larger 1 inch sensor has more features, it's only 3x zoom. Is that due to the larger sensor size?

rumors are no raw, jpeg only.

• Reply 22 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

I am waiting for the first camera designed for "Selfies Only" photography.  With only one button - takes your picture and immediately uploads it to your Facebook page.  What else would anyone ever need?

a new social site, no longer called "face"book, but xxxbook ?

• Reply 23 of 49
    Was it just me or was the shot of the telephoto lens elongating timed well with the introduction of the female protagonist.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    This is really cool, the major problem with it though is that it requires the Sony Playmemories App. I currently have the Sony Action cam that uses this app. The app is aweful. If this would somehow integrate with the built in camera app or give you an option of 3rd party apps it would be a no brainer, but as long as its tied to playmemories its gonna be a PITA.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    If they could find a way to work with Apple so that the lens could feed photo apps you already have, this would be a huge hit. I love Sony hardware. I own an A77 and it's the greatest camera I've ever used. But limiting these QX lenses to using Sony software will turn them into a disappointment.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

If they could find a way to work with Apple so that the lens could feed photo apps you already have, this would be a huge hit. I love Sony hardware. I own an A77 and it's the greatest camera I've ever used. But limiting these QX lenses to using Sony software will turn them into a disappointment.

maybe this is or is not what you mean...

i use a nex-6, and the iPhone app allows me to take any pictured from the nex-6 (using the mini wifi generated by the ned-6) and push them directly into the apple camera app. ( i think the app is play memories)

• Reply 27 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by socalaviator84 View Post

This is really cool, the major problem with it though is that it requires the Sony Playmemories App. I currently have the Sony Action cam that uses this app. The app is aweful. If this would somehow integrate with the built in camera app or give you an option of 3rd party apps it would be a no brainer, but as long as its tied to playmemories its gonna be a PITA.

I agree the playmemory app is poor. It works - but I could have thrown together a pice of dog and pony demo in a day or so that would be nicer to use. It does do its job though.

My bigger concern for this system - is generally how convenient is it really going to be. Sure - you take a lens out of your pocket, clip it onto your iPhone , but then what? I would hope pressing a button on the lens is going to wake the phone and send it directly to the control app. I Hope - but i doubt. I will have to get used to asking everyone to be quiet for a few minutes, while i set it up, then ask them to recreate the spontaneity.....

Also more pictures without me in them - since no one i'm likely to be with  has the patience...

• Reply 28 of 49
    Another extremely niche product that Sony will cancel in a few years. You hit a home run with the PS4 and a ground out with this one.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    Wonderful idea. Look forward to seeing how well it is implemented.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by willrob View Post

There's no mention of what format the images are. I assume it's too much to hope there is a way to shoot RAW, but I suspect they will be JPEG, at least on the phone. While the larger 1 inch sensor has more features, it's only 3x zoom. Is that due to the larger sensor size?

Might have similar options to the RX100 II?.

This is a bunch of win for me, i'd like to get one of these things, I guess the real test is, what will the iPhone 5s camera have? 

The QX100 has a 1 inch sensor & optical zoom using a zeiss lens :O so pretty damn good. 

• Reply 31 of 49

Nerd! Dude needs a GF bad!

• Reply 32 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macslut View Post

Nope, it's just a stand alone.  While it attaches to a camera, it doesn't function as just a lens, as in, it doesn't pass light through it and on to the iPhone's sensor.

That's not to knock the product, but it's an important point. 

Oh, if your question is rather this is just the glass, then no, how could it be? That would be silly to even think so. How could you possibly take raw image data over wifi to another device?

Is this a full camera without the add-on, no. It has a CMOS but no post-processing without the body, via an iPhone or its own that I have read. 

• Reply 33 of 49

I will buy this lens and everyone will like me and cute girls will recognise my childlike wonder and life will be good. Videos like that should come with a health warning, I'm feeling slightly nauseous

• Reply 34 of 49

Wireless 'viewfinder'? Sounds like a lot of delays and lag. Thus making the spontaneous photo difficult to take. GoPro wireless with the remote app is a dog! Waiting 3 seconds to see what I'm actually framing?!?! Plus I bet the playmemories app most likely is horrible too with few updates. Sigh...

• Reply 35 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by biosci View Post

Wireless 'viewfinder'? Sounds like a lot of delays and lag. Thus making the spontaneous photo difficult to take. 

Mobile phone cameras and point-and-shoots were never particularly good at lag-hating applications (e.g., sports) anyway. You use a DSLR for that. We'll have to see if the lag is absolutely intolerable, or just a minor annoyance. Meanwhile, the image quality from this thing should blow away anything you could ever get from a mobile phone, including that new 40mp Nokia, so it's definitely something worth thinking about.

• Reply 36 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Nerd! Dude needs a GF bad!

Looks like he's doing just fine at the end. 

• Reply 37 of 49
    Nice iOS7 shirt.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    As two others have said, the killer here is the Sony Software. If Sony were to provide a developer API so this lens could worked with apps as good as Pro Camera, Instagram, Eyem etc. they would have a killer product.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Oh, if your question is rather this is just the glass, then no, how could it be? That would be silly to even think so. How could you possibly take raw image data over wifi to another device?

It wasn't my question.  I was answering the question, and you just repeated me.

Quote:

Is this a full camera without the add-on, no. It has a CMOS but no post-processing without the body, via an iPhone or its own that I have read. 

It does post-process to the extent that it saves an image out as a JPEG to a Micro-SD card in the camera and can send that image to the iPhone via the Sony app.  It's a camera in every way except that it doesn't have a viewfinder or screen.  You can take it shoot pictures filling up the Micro-SD card and then import pictures into your Mac or PC just like any other camera without even using a smartphone (although you wont be able to see exactly what you're shooting or have shot).

Really the concept is pretty limiting.  Many newer cameras do exactly what this does but include a display/viewfinder.

• Reply 40 of 49
    Very impressive! But having to shell out $250 is just too much unless it has a very high quality lens with a pro SLR capability, then it will sell. With this, I would rather save and keep my money in the wallet and continue shooting with my existing Canon EOS Rebel. Just teasing, will Apple have an old digital camera buy back program to promote the sale of this?