Apple taking shipments of 'Set Top Boxes' ahead of Sept. 10 event, hints at new Apple TV product

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Recent bill of lading information from the U.S. Department of Homeland security shows Apple recently took three shipments of a "Set Top Boxes" from a known partner supplier in China, suggesting the company may be planning to unveil a new Apple TV at a special event on Sept. 10.

Apple TV

The logs, discovered by global trade research firm Panjiva (via GigaOm), show Apple took delivery of three shipments from mid to late August from BYD Precision Manufacture in Shenzhen, China. Each bill of lading refer to the contents as some form of "Set Top Boxes."

In chronological order, Apple received shipments described as ?Set Top Box with Communication Function" on Aug. 11, ?Set Top Boxes? on Aug. 18, and ?Set Top Box with Communication Function? on Aug. 25. Shipments were large, the first being 7.04 metric tons, followed by two identical batches weighing in at 16.63 metric tons.

According to the Pajiva Shipment Search tool, BYD has only supplied Apple with one shipment prior to those in August, being a "PC Portable" on Aug. 18. The most recent record of similarly named "Set Top Boxes" shipments was from Hon Hai in December 2012 and contained units bearing the A1427 model number found on the current-generation Apple TVs.

There have been no rumors regarding a new Apple TV product, though Apple's upcoming iPhone products have captured the spotlight in recent weeks. The company has been aggressively pushing out updates for the existing set-top streamer, however, adding channels like Vevo, Disney, Weather and Smithsonian in late August, while a beta of the next Apple TV software released in July was found to have reinstated iTunes purchasing.

Apple last refreshed its Apple TV product in March 2012, adding 1080p output to the unit while retaining the prior model's design.

Earlier on Tuesday, Apple sent out invitations to a special event scheduled for Sept. 10, at which the company is expected to unveil a next-generation iPhone and possibly a low-cost handset.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44

I would really like to see something different in AppleTV. I'm selling my AppleTV 2 right now so it would be awesome to pick something up to replace it fairly soon. I was expecting some type of actual TV though. Maybe we'll see both?

• Reply 2 of 44
    Would love to see 802.11ac support in the new Apple TV.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    What it should have:
    A USB port that can be used for an external drive.
    The ability to run iOS apps.
    The ability to support PLEX.

If it has those three things, I'm all in even if it cost more than $99.

AppleTV is a nice product but I don't think it's a good as the Roku 3 due to Apple's control over third-party channels.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    I have trouble believing there is *any* variation of "set top box" that is actually a good strategy for the "future of TV."

It's probably just more USA-only crap anyway. Some kind of way of integrating USA-only cable companies into USA- only TV sets that will be hailed by the US press as some kind of miracle.

Meanwhile the world yawns.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I have trouble believing there is *any* variation of "set top box" that is actually a good strategy for the "future of TV."

It's probably just more USA-only crap anyway. Some kind of way of integrating USA-only cable companies into USA- only TV sets that will be hailed by the US press as some kind of miracle.

Meanwhile the world yawns.

i don't think they can launch a subscription service where you can subscribe any channel you want in the world. obviously this has nothing to do with apple and its all american media entertainment laws made by american government if i'm not wrong. i would love that as i'm an indian and staying in china but love to watch american tv shows.

you are right about one thing though.

yawn.

• Reply 6 of 44
    I believe Gene Muenster just climaxed
  • Reply 7 of 44
    MG Siegler wrote that he had inside info a new TV product that was not a TV. That smelled credible and this could be it.

Assuming this new device weighs the same as the current Apple TV (about a pound: .6 lbs and another .4 lbs with packaging), we're talking somewhere just shy of 200,000 units. It could be heavier. Pure back-of-the-envelope and a lot of assumptions there.

If this shipment is all they plan on stocking at launch, that seems to be nicely sized for a US trial. Another if...IF this is a new device or even the same puck with significantly greater functionality, it'll be a major hit and quickly stock-out.

I'm not sure if I'm more excited by a rumored iWatch or a rumored new Apple TV device!!
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Icaras View Post

Would love to see 802.11ac support in the new Apple TV.

Hmmm...it could "just" be the 802.11ac. Man, it's gonna be a very expensive fall updating my devices to 802.11ac. 

• Reply 9 of 44
    Hoping for it the last Apple TV upgrade (besides minor) was 2009(I think).
  • Reply 10 of 44

Isn't there some tech related event tomorrow? Hmm.. well I'm sure it's nothing important. Anyway, Apple may update the Apple TV next week! 

I doubt it would be a huge update, just a warm up, allowing the Apple TV to gain some momentum this holiday season before they unveil the real thing. It would be great to see Apple demo some of those new game controller APIs with a new 802.11ac Apple TV. And don't worry Gazoobee, I'm sure the APIs will work in Canada too ;)

• Reply 11 of 44
    Can you peeps at Appleinsider start freaking proofreading? I'd like to think I'm spending my time reading insightful information written by adults. Thanks.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    If it has 802.11ac and an A6 processor in it then we should see full iOS on it. Would definitely buy one.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Apple TV with 4K support?
  • Reply 14 of 44
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    All I want from AppleTV is a new remote, and apps. Both seem inevitable. Has the time come?
  • Reply 15 of 44
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

That's why Canadian wine is terrible. Grapes are too sour.

• Reply 16 of 44
    Couldn't it just be a refreshed airport base station / time capsule?
  • Reply 17 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisBKLYN View Post

I believe Gene Muenster just climaxed

And it's not even Sept 10.

• Reply 18 of 44
  • Reply 19 of 44
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    elmoofo wrote: »
    Can you peeps at Appleinsider start freaking proofreading? I'd like to think I'm spending my time reading insightful information written by adults. Thanks.

you're new here, aren't you? they don't give a rat's behind ...
  • Reply 20 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kzbk81 View Post

Apple TV with 4K support?

Really? 4K support? Where is the 4K content? Oh, I know. It's about 2 years away...