Google Authenticator for iOS update wipes all on-board account data

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google on Tuesday rolled out an update for its Google Authenticator two-step verification app, reworking the title to support Apple's Retina display and the iPhone 5's four-inch screen, but at the same time erasing all account data saved on the device.

Google Authenticator

Google Authenticator hit version 2.0.0 with the latest update, finally bringing Retina display-ready graphical assets to the app. There is a major bug in the procedure, however, as updating appears to erase all settings and tokens.

As for the app itself, functionality has not been changed, though the UI has been revamped with larger text and an overall aesthetic closer to Google's other iOS titles. The feature set remains the same, with automatic setup via QR code, multiple account support and time-based or counter-based code generation.

Google Authenticator comes in at 1.1MB and is a free download from the App Store, though backing up account data is highly suggested before installing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Warning: updating to 2.0.0 will WIPE OUT all your Tokens !!!
  • Reply 2 of 19

Yup, wish I had logged in to all those accounts before the update wiped their tokens! 

• Reply 3 of 19

Has anybody not had their tokens wiped out? Typically Google: oops we didn't QA this at all, but oh well here's 2.0.1.

Update: Amazon Web Services just sent a message not to update, yet it's still in the store.

https://forums.aws.amazon.com/ann.jspa?annID=2091

• Reply 4 of 19
    I really wish I'd read this before updating. Doesn't bode well for iOS 7 as it will auto update apps and I've not seen how you can turn this off.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fireblue View Post

Doesn't bode well for iOS 7 as it will auto update apps and I've not seen how you can turn this off.

You can turn it off in Settings.

• Reply 6 of 19
    erioerio Posts: 28member
    Wow, the process is kinda long, yet is it that difficult to follow directions? Log into Google, go to "Account", click on "Security", click on "edit" in "2-step verification", look for "Mobile application", then click on "Move to a different phone", select iPhone, then click on "Continue". Lastly, scan the barcode. Done!
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by erio View Post

Wow, the process is kinda long, yet is it that difficult to follow directions? Log into Google, go to "Account", click on "Security", click on "edit" in "2-step verification", look for "Mobile application", then click on "Move to a different phone", select iPhone, then click on "Continue". Lastly, scan the barcode. Done!

Yay! Condescending! -_-

The process is worse when you realize people use it for other services as well, not just Google. (*gasp!*)

Some companies require a call to support and verification of identification to remove the authenticator from the account before you can even log in. 

• Reply 8 of 19
    erioerio Posts: 28member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomadic0ne View Post

Yay! Condescending! -_-

The process is worse when you realize people use it for other services as well, not just Google. (*gasp!*)

Some companies require a call to support and verification of identification to remove the authenticator from the account before you can even log in. 

You're welcome, and good luck with that!

• Reply 9 of 19
    Looks like the update has been pulled from the App Store. It briefly appeared on my phone this morning, but disappeared from the "Updates" list before I was able to click on it.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by erio View Post

My Amazon AWS account is set up for two-factor authentication when logging in. Changing things on Google was easy, but then again it's not a robust two-factor authentication as you only need the password to manage and access your account as log an you're accessing from a 'pre-approved' device.

Two-factor for AWS is a pain in the ass, but it's the most secure service I access.

• Reply 11 of 19
    I use it on Google, AWS, and another webhost. It's wiped out all my saved items a few times in the last few months. I've turned it off everywhere but Google until after iOS 7 is out (since Google will text me a code too)
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Don't forget that you can easily use Duo Security's mobile application with Google's two-factor. Any service that supports TOTP (Time-Based One Time Passwords) will work just fine. Also, the app has been tested on iOS 7 and been working for weeks.

Here are some further details, http://guide.duosecurity.com/third-party-accounts
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Google morons. How much would it have cost to test this GD function. Typical. Hope it wiped out all your codes too Larry.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Google morons. How much would it have cost to test this GD function. Typical. Hope it wiped out all your codes too Larry.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    I would be perfectly happy if Apple were to wipe Google apps off the App Store. I don't use their maps, and would go Bing if I needed to. If Google Android is "stolen technology," why continue to dignify it? Apple maps is plenty good enough for me, and getting better all the time. Google apps for Apple are a Trojan Horse aiming to prove that there's really no difference between the platforms. Go Walled Garden!
  • Reply 16 of 19
    maltzmaltz Posts: 453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I would be perfectly happy if Apple were to wipe Google apps off the App Store. I don't use their maps, and would go Bing if I needed to. If Google Android is "stolen technology," why continue to dignify it? Apple maps is plenty good enough for me, and getting better all the time. Google apps for Apple are a Trojan Horse aiming to prove that there's really no difference between the platforms. Go Walled Garden!

Of course, you have the option of running your iPhone Google-free now.  Why do you feel the need to force everyone else to run theirs that way too?  Personally, I prefer a little healthy competition pushing Apple (and Google) to get even better, and I'll just mix and match to use whoever's app best fits my needs.

• Reply 17 of 19
    maltz wrote: »
    Of course, you have the option of running your iPhone Google-free now.  Why do you feel the need to force everyone else to run theirs that way too?  Personally, I prefer a little healthy competition pushing Apple (and Google) to get even better, and I'll just mix and match to use whoever's app best fits my needs.
    All I'm saying is that there is price to be paid for supporting a competitor who is giving away for free what you are trying to sell. If Google succeeds at this game you may not have Apple to mix and match from. It'll be Google alone.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    I will be turning off auto-update on IOS7. Is there an another authenticator app that anyone could recommend please?
  • Reply 19 of 19
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    I lost all mine during a iOS7 beta update where the app wasn't even changed... don't really feel like losing them again.