Apple working on mystery product that may ship with new 17W power supply

Comments

• Reply 41 of 99

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Exactly what the new 17-watt adapter could be used for remains unknown.

ARM-based MacBook Air?

• Reply 42 of 99
    One brick to plug both your iPad and iPhone into. 12 + 5 = 17. Makes pretty good sense to me.
  • Reply 43 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wait, so two USB ports on it? That seems dumb.

Yes, I have a bunch of Dual USB Chargers. They are wonderful especially with more than one device to charge. Just like Dual DC chargers in the car, when you have one plug.

• Reply 44 of 99
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

Out of curiosity (not to challenge you - I honestly don't know), how would they go about this considering the touch versus mouse dichotomy? A cursor on an iOS interface? Completely touch based? I'm intrigued by the latter, though I have reservations about the accuracy of the finger as a pointer when it comes to placing a cursor in a Pages/Word document...it's clumsy. I find that when I have to correct an error on an ipad or iphone, I have to delete the entire word most of the time. If an iOS laptop isn't marketed to the writer crowd, why bother with a laptop in the first place? If a keyboard provides enough utility to provoke Apple to create an iOS laptop, it seems they'd need to create a much easier way to place a cursor... Writing pages per day, it's certainly easier to place one with a mouse or a dedicated touch pad/arrow. When the original iPad came out I bought the keyboard with it, hoping I'd be able to set up impromptu offices and type away, but editing and inserting is far too slow for me.  I certainly want it to happen and want there to be a solution, but...I'm wondering whether others are seeing a solution that I don't, or if most people simply aren't concerned with editing what they write. But if that were true, like I said, why bother with a laptop?  Thoughts?

Apple has a strong stance on what should and shouldn't be touch-screen based. And I doubt they would put a touch screen on any "desktop" system - a computer meant to be used while set down on a surface.

There are two things to overcome when switching from a touch-based display to an external touch based device; absolute positioning and direct content manipulation. On the desktop, because of size constraints, pointer positioning is relative, meaning movement is tracked from its last location on the screen. "Hits" are also a secondary action - usually a button down. A touch event is no different to the system than a mouse down event - the difference is that mouse positioning is instantaneous on a touch screen and a separate action on an external input device. Positioning and "hitting" are one action on a touch screen display - breaking them out into two actions was figured out long ago.

Even on the Mac though, it knows the type of pointing device that is connected and changes its behavior accordingly... take scrolling; if a trackpad is connected, one finger to move the pointer, two to scroll. If a touch mouse is connected, move the mouse to position the pointer and one finger to scroll, if a regular (non-touch) mouse is connected, the scroll bars appear by default and use them to scroll the content.

OS X is already capable of dealing with different types of input devices and it would be trivial for Apple to add external input to iOS; throwing a "pointer" on the screen when an external pointing device is detected would be easy enough. Just as when an external keyboard is detected, the on screen keyboard is never brought up.

Apple took the time to do copy&paste right, they'll also figure out the best way to allow external input devices to connect to iOS devices and when they do, it won't be long before we see iOS on other computer form factors where touch screens won't be the best option.

• Reply 45 of 99
    It could be um a slimmed down version of the Apple II e?
  • Reply 46 of 99
    Just call it iPad Pro, it'll be just large then the old iPad with the new thiner bezel.
    Be great for artist, designers with the increased screen size.
  • Reply 47 of 99
    edit: oops, someone else posted this same 2-outlet charger idea an hour ago...........
  • Reply 48 of 99
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    djzapp wrote: »
    This is a dual charger that apple will "officially support" 12W for iPad and 5W for iPhone = 17W. I can see this with all the "charger issues" as of late from third party Manufacturers.

I don't see the advantage. When you buy an iPhone or iPad, it comes with its own charger. Why not just plug them in side-by-side?
    wookiee69 wrote: »
    Combo Apple TV/Cable box for Time Warner customers.

That would be nice, but 17 W seems pretty low. Existing cable boxes use a HUGE amount of power. The current Apple TV only uses 6W, so that would be almost 3 times as much, so maybe it would work.

IF this thing is real (which is a huge 'if' at this point), I don't know why they were so quick to drop the idea of a 13" iPad. For some applications, that would be even better than the 10". When the iPad first came out, I don't think anyone (outside of Apple, perhaps) envisioned that it could be used for the massive amount of content creation that is now possible. For some design work, a larger iPad would be nice. While it wouldn't have made sense to start out with multiple sizes, now that the market is well-established, a few sizes doesn't hurt.

Of course, it could also be my iPad Pro. :smokey:
  • Reply 49 of 99
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I think the new iPads will charge faster because of this.

Faster charging would be a convenience feature.

• Reply 50 of 99

Yes, customers were demanding more power for their personal devices, and the new device will come in an array of colors...

• Reply 51 of 99
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wait, so two USB ports on it? That seems dumb.

Thanks for that; the stock sure needed a ton more pointless and obvious lies¡

Well I tend to have two chargers plugged into one of my convenient wall outlets charging my iPhone and iPad most every night and traveling sometimes there's only one outlet free without unplugging something in the hotel...

• Reply 52 of 99
    So they're designing a new power supply, well more power to them… :embarrass uff da
  • Reply 53 of 99
    Sounds like an updated iPad charger with an extra USB port for charging your iPhone simultaneously. So many third party chargers have dual USB ports, the convenience factor is quite high. 12 W 5 W = 17 Watts
  • Reply 54 of 99
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Its for a bigger ipad imo, something in the 12" to 13" range.

• Reply 55 of 99

[Non sequitor.]

• Reply 56 of 99
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    rarild wrote: »
    So they're designing a new power supply, well more power to them… :embarrass uff da

It's the device it's for.

I think a games machine.
  • Reply 57 of 99

13" iPad Pro w/ pressure sensitive stylus.

• Reply 58 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

Yes, customers were demanding more power for their personal devices, and the new device will come in an array of colors...

Obviously another shoddy Samsung knockoff

• Reply 59 of 99
    my best friend's sister makes $63 an hour on the laptop. She has been out of work for eight months but last month her pay check was $13971 just working on the laptop for a few hours. see this website xurl.es/2qc30
  • Reply 60 of 99
    my best friend's sister makes $63 an hour on the laptop. She has been out of work for eight months but last month her pay check was $13971 just working on the laptop for a few hours. see this website xurl.es/2qc30