Apple promises to 'brighten everyone's day' at Sept. 10 iPhone announcement

Comments

• Reply 141 of 164
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Perhaps they are referring to the bright new icons in iOS 7.

Perhaps they are referring to iPhone, iOS, iMac, Mac Pro and Airport Express announcements.

Given that there is no way there will be those two shades of light blue in an iPhone, I believe you are correct, that this is an allusion to iOS 7 being brighter, which it certainly is.
  • Reply 142 of 164
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    ascii wrote: »
    Predictions:
    - iPhone 5S & 5C
    - iOS 7 release date announced
    - New Mac Pro
    - 4K Cinema Display
    - Mavericks release date announced
    - New Apple TV

I'd love your list to be true. My suspicion however is Mac Pro will be a while later, perhaps at its own event.
  • Reply 143 of 164
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Predictions:

- iPhone 5S & 5C

- New Mac Pro

- 4K Cinema Display

- New Apple TV

I virtually guarantee that you're wrong. Apple wouldn't be stupid enough to drown its own marketing message with competing announcements. I suspect that either the MacPro and 10.9 will be mostly silently released because they have long been announced, or there will be a separate event, particularly if a 4k CinemaDisplay would be part of the game.

Similarly a new AppleTV, if it's not just a silently slipped in minor update, would likely have its own event, unless it's very tightly integrated with the new iOS, which is conceivable.

The list of things that you think will be announced is perfectly within the realm of the possible, but not in a single event, or else Apple starts being stupid. It's more effective to have each specific product message penetrate the news by itself, rather than having a slew of Apple announcements that compete for air time and paper surface in media outlets.

• Reply 144 of 164
    The biggest disappointment next week would be the absence of a large screen iPhone - I am sure if that happens Samsung will be dancing and laughing knowing there market share will go up again!!
  • Reply 145 of 164

Predictions:

- iPhone 5S & 5C

- New Mac Pro

- 4K Cinema Display

- New Apple TV

The most reasonable and logical prediction I've seen in a long time.

Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Apple wouldn't be stupid enough to drown its own marketing message with competing announcements. 

Absolutely nothing in there "competes". What are you even talking about?

Similarly a new AppleTV, if it's not just a silently slipped in minor update, would likely have its own event, unless it's very tightly integrated with the new iOS, which is conceivable.

Why would a spot update to hardware get its own event? Think about things before saying them.

The list of things that you think will be announced is perfectly within the realm of the possible, but not in a single event, or else Apple starts being stupid. It's more effective to have each specific product message penetrate the news by itself

And what gives you the impression that Apple cares about that anymore?

Originally Posted by philky View Post

The biggest disappointment next week would be the absence of a large screen iPhone - I am sure if that happens Samsung will be dancing and laughing knowing there market share will go up again!!

You know that's a lie. Why waste our time spewing this crap? 

• Reply 146 of 164
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post

Possibly so. And we won't know until we know. But just going off Apple's previous pattern, I expect that the iPhone 5 will be around for at least one more product cycle, if not two - no matter what the 5C ends up being. The only question I really have is, which model(s) will next get a bullet, the 4 and/or the 4S? The market for smaller screen smartphones seems to be pretty diminished. I don't know what the margins are for either. But does it make sense to keep producing and selling the small(er) screen iPhones? I don't know the answer to that either. But I'll be curious to see how long the 4 and 4S survive.

None of the 5, 4S or 4 are staying around. Say good bye to them. Goodbye fair friends.

Quote:

Predictions:

- iPhone 5S & 5C

- New Mac Pro

- 4K Cinema Display

- New Apple TV

The 5C will be released in the next week or so. It will run iOS 6 to begin with, and be basically a cheap iPhone 5. The iPhone 5S and iOS 7 will be targeted for October. That might be the 1st, but they won't give a date. The Mac Pro is certain. So is Mavericks, which is pretty ugh done (put a fork in it).

The Apple TV and the Cinema Display, I don't know. Don't think so.

• Reply 147 of 164
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I'd love your list to be true. My suspicion however is Mac Pro will be a while later, perhaps at its own event.

Mac Pro won't have it's own event, it'll be bundled in an event with the new iMacs and/or new MacBooks.
    philky wrote: »

Sh1t, Sammy should release a 6" phone, oh wait. Troll off.
  • Reply 148 of 164
    I'm pumped for the announcement. In case anyone was interested I found some leaked photos of both the iPhone 5C and iPhone 5S here: http://macaltu.blogspot.com/2013/09/iphone-5s-and-iphone-5c-to-be-announced.html

Thought it was a good find so I thought might as well share it
  • Reply 149 of 164
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

I virtually guarantee that you're wrong. Apple wouldn't be stupid enough to drown its own marketing message with competing announcements. I suspect that either the MacPro and 10.9 will be mostly silently released because they have long been announced, or there will be a separate event, particularly if a 4k CinemaDisplay would be part of the game.

It's *because* the Mac Pro was already introduced at WWDC that having it released at this event won't overshadow the iPhone. Also the iPhone 5C is looking very China focussed, so they may want to have the Made in the USA Mac Pro there just to balance that.

• Reply 150 of 164
    I think in iPhone 5C
    C Denotes COLOR, 5C is COLOR SERIES
  • Reply 151 of 164

i Think in 5C 

C = COLOR

so iPhone 5C =  iPhones COLOR SERIES...

• Reply 152 of 164
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    J
    sog35 wrote: »
    and Motorola did such a great job of IMPLEMENTATION.

True innovation is so much more than having a good idea and slapping a product together.
    yep. Who remembers "But there have been mo3 players for years so who would buy one from Apple?"

Uh huh.
  • Reply 153 of 164
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

J

yep. Who remembers "But there have been mo3 players for years so who would buy one from Apple?"

Uh huh.

Exactly. And that's what so many people (even "journalists") often seem to miss when they talk about innovation or whether or not a product may find success in the market. How often has Apple been first-to-market with particular product categories? I mean, the iPhone was not the first smartphone. The iPad was not the first tablet. And as you pointed out, the iPod was not the first mp3 player.

While being first *may* give an initial marketing and sales advantage, it's whoever that comes in next, with a better mousetrap, that is going to run the table.

• Reply 154 of 164
    Bring the iPad Mini 2 with Retina. I don't care about the iPhone 5S or the 5C!
  • Reply 155 of 164
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

I'm hoping they keep Retina off the Mini for now, I'd much rather have a better performer, with longer battery life.

• Reply 156 of 164
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    crowley wrote: »
    I'm hoping they keep Retina off the Mini for now, I'd much rather have a better performer, with longer battery life.

I think we're at the point where you can have both.
  • Reply 157 of 164

Performance and battery are relative measures, so I disagree.

When the chips stream video without any noticeable heat and the battery lasts all week, that's when I might think that retina is worth it.  But all other things being equal, a non-retina will always have better performance and battery, so for now retina is a distant third in my preference priorities.

Just my humble onion, other onions are available.

• Reply 158 of 164
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    crowley wrote: »
    Performance and battery are relative measures, so I disagree.

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">When the chips run without any noticeable heat and the battery lasts all week, that's when I might think that retina is worth it.  But a</span>
    ll other things being equal, a non-retina will always have better performance and battery, so for now retina is a distant third in my preference priorities.

Just my humble onion, other onions are available.

The new Nexus 7 with a much higher res "retina display" and an even smaller battery than the original still has longer useful battery life than it's predecessor Since it's common knowledge Apple's iOS power efficiency is better than anything an Android OEM could come up with why would you doubt Apple could do it?
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7231/the-nexus-7-2013-review/2
  • Reply 159 of 164

Why would I doubt Apple could do what?  I'm sure they can make a retina iPad Mini that has decent performance and battery, but I'd rather have better than decent and not have the Retina screen.

Two units with otherwise equivalent hardware, but one has a retina screen with 4x the resolution than the other.  The non-retina will always have better performance and battery life.  I'd rather have that one.

Retina is a nice-to-have that is way down my list of wants.

• Reply 160 of 164
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    I can only hope the cameras are better, because frankly, they are not very good in iPhone 5. My girlfriend's Android phone has a significantly better camera.