First look: Sony's iPhone-compatible QX10 and QX100 Cyber-shot lenses

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Sony held an event in New York on Wednesday to give members of the press their first hands-on with its new iPhone-compatible QX10 and QX100 high-quality camera lenses. AppleInsider was on-hand for a first look at the new accessories.

Sony

The QX10 and QX100 were officially unveiled in a presentation by Phil Molyneux, president and chief operating officer with Sony. Both devices are set to launch later this month, and are available to preorder now through Sony's online store, Amazon and other authorized resellers.

Both are wireless cameras that lack extensive controls or even a dedicated screen or viewfinder. Instead, those duties are relegated to a smartphone that is connected to the device over peer-to-peer Wi-Fi.

Both cameras are compatible with Apple's iPhone when running the latest version of Sony's PlayMemories Mobile application, available for free on the iOS App Store. The cameras will also work with an iPad, if users want an exceptionally large viewfinder.

Both the QX10 and QX100 will ship with an expandable, secure clip that's compatible with a range of smartphones. Using this, the lens can be attached to the back of an iPhone, and together the units will work in tandem as a high-end camera.

Sony

Hands-on

The camera lens clips easily and securely to an iPhone. We tried picking the device up by both the phone and the lens, and did not come away with the impression that either device would be easily dropped.

Sony

Connecting the iPhone to a lens was relatively simple through Sony's app. We did experience a few random disconnects, but this could have been due to the fact that numerous members of the press were on-hand attempting to connect their own smartphones to the devices.

Each QX-series camera is securely connected through a unique password that can be found printed in the accessory's battery compartment. The lenses will also use Sony's standard camera batteries.

Sony

The low-end QX10 will come in both black and white colors. One demo unit provided by Sony paired a white QX10 with a white iPhone, and the two matched each other quite well.

Once the camera is paired, the official Sony application can be used to snap pictures. Pictures can be stored on both a microSD card found within the lens itself, as well as automatically transferred to the iPhone. High- and low-quality transfer options are available to conserve storage on the connected smartphone.

Sony

The peer-to-peer Wi-Fi connection between the iPhone and QX10 allowed for minimal lag between devices when viewing the camera's perspective live. We didn't come away with the impression that the wireless connectivity would cause any issue when snapping pictures.

Things were a bit slower when automatically transferring photos to the iPhone. Given the size of the lenses on the QX10 and QX100, transferring a full-size image over Wi-Fi direct to the iPhone took a few seconds. Users looking to rapid-fire photos may want to turn off the auto-transfer functionality.

Sony

The wireless connectivity of the QX10 and QX100 is also important, because it allows the cameras to be controlled and viewed remotely from a smartphone. Each camera includes a tripod mount on the bottom for remote sturdy placement. However, Sony cautioned that the cameras are not intended to be used a great distance from a Wi-Fi-connected device.

Sony has pitched the QX10 and QX100 as "game changing" accessories that will appeal to consumers who want high-end pictures, but are more comfortable snapping pictures on their smartphone. We tend to agree: The pure pocket-ability of these accessories makes them an appealing option for someone who wants to conveniently snap pictures on the go, but may not have the space to carry a DSLR or even a compact digital camera on them.

Sony

Tech specs

The QX series cameras leverage Sony's existing heft in imaging into attachments that make a smartphone capable of capturing images in the quality range of a higher-end dedicated point-and-shoot device. They both connect wirelessly to a smartphone through Sony's PlayMemories Mobile app, available in the App Store for free. That app allows the smartphone to serve as the viewfinder for the camera, which can be used while attached to the phone or remotely. The smartphone can release the shutter, start and stop movie recordings, and adjust common photographic settings such as shooting mode, zoom, and autofocus area.

On iOS, the QX series cameras will pair with devices through Wi-Fi, and images taken will be stored both on the lens camera's internal memory and on the paired device. Android users will have the option of pairing the devices by touch using near-field communications technology.

The QX100 features a 1.0-inch, 20.2MP Exmor RCMOS sensor, the same one featured in Sony's acclaimed Cyber-shot RX100 II. Sony has paired that sensor with a fast, wide-aperture Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T lens with 3.6x optical zoom and a Bionz image processor. It also has its own dedicated control ring for camera adjustment.

The Qx10 model packs an 18.2MP Exmor RCMOS sensor and 10x optical zoom Sony G Lens. It also features built-in Optical SteadyShot image stabilization, as well as a number of shooting modes to choose from, including Program, Auto, Intelligent Auto, and Superior Auto.

Both devices will become available later this month from Sony. Customers can also preorder both from Amazon right now, though. The QX100 retails for $498, while the QX10 will sell for $248. Both items will see release on September 27 and should ship from Amazon thereupon or shortly thereafter.

Other announcements

In addition to the iPhone-compatible Cyber-shot lenses, Sony also announced a number of other new cameras at Wednesday's event. They include:
  • The Alpha 3000, an easy-to-use, ultra-right camera with a DSLR feel and style. Ideal for consumers who want to get into a DSLR but are intimidated by the size. Priced at $399, available in September.
  • The NEX-5T, an upgrade to the NEX-5R introduced last year. It's a compact mirror-less camera that includes Wi-Fi, but also adds NFC compatibility. This camera includes all of the same functionality as a DSLR, but is more portable. A flip-up LCD on the device can be pointed forward to allow for "selfies." Priced at $799 available in September.
  • The HDR-AS30V is a new action camera that includes integrated GPS. This feature, with enhanced software, allows an overlay to be placed on recorded video with tracked speed and distance. The sports camera also includes NFC and Wi-Fi. Also announced as part of the AS30V is a wrist-worn live remote with a screen that will show live video from the camera. This year's action camera is about 25 percent smaller and lighter than its predecessor. It will be available in October for $299. Remote will be in December for $150.
  • The Music Video Recorder HDR-MV1 is a compact camera with full HD video recording and linear PCM CD-quality audio. It sports a high-performance built-in microphone that can also record from external mics or a sound panel. Built-in Wi-Fi with NFC will allow users to quickly upload video to social media, allowing bands to quickly broadcast their performances on the Internet.
  • Finally, Sony also revealed the FDR-AX1, the world's first prosumer 4K camcorder for under $5,000. It's an all-in-one video camera designed for filmmakers working with modest budgets. This will be able to output video to two new 4K TVs also announced by Sony Wednesday: a 65-inch model for $4,999, and a 55-inch 4K HDTV for $3,499.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    It looks like a neat option, but my biggest question is whether it will enable the flash capability when taking a picture on your phone. Can you use the flash on your phone when you take a picture with the Sony lens. If not it's limited to daytime use.
  • Reply 2 of 84

Hmmm.... champagne and white....

• Reply 3 of 84
    Hmm... interesting.
  • Reply 4 of 84
    There seems to be confusion (among various reports) whether the WiFi connection to an iPhone is through a WiFi network (base station) or if it's a peer-to-peer connection. One of Sony's own videos seems to imply you need the network (base station). Here's a screen grab of the section of the video I'm talking about:

i-r4BfnP7.jpg

If it was peer-to-peer, you'd think Sony would include that in the text.

Obviously, if it's NOT peer-to-peer, the lens just became FAR less useful for folks with smartphones that lack NFC. I can't imagine Sony would have worked it that way. Still, the wording of that text blurb is curious.

The full video is here:

Mark
  • Reply 5 of 84
    This is the future of point-and-shoot . . .
  • Reply 6 of 84
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member

It would be nice to have the option to connect the lens to the lightning port for photo transfer (either while shooting or afterwards).  Also as a way to mitigate WiFi connectivity issues in saturated areas.  But overall, this looks pretty good.

• Reply 7 of 84
    Great. A 1" CMOS sensor! F 1.8!! All good in the zoom model, although I wish they would have had a f/2.5, instead of 4.9, at the tele end. Still superb. For $500, you're getting a DSLR, pretty much.

Question: Since the connection of the lens to phone is through P2P, does it mean I can be out in the wild taking photographs without any available Wi-Fi?
  • Reply 8 of 84
    Seems clunky to me. Get out your lens, turn it on, get out your camera, start it up, find and run the dedicated app, and then you're ready to take a photo of that precious moment in time... that happened two minutes ago.
  • Reply 9 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Seems clunky to me. Get out your lens, turn it on, get out your camera, start it up, find and run the dedicated app, and then you're ready to take a photo of that precious moment in time... that happened two minutes ago.

Because, with an SLR, you always have it out of the case, hanging around your neck, turned on, with the lens cap off, ready to shoot at a moment's notice.  There's an initial setup time for any camera which isn't a point-and-shoot.

• Reply 10 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by abarry View Post

Great. A 1" CMOS sensor! F 1.8!! All good in the zoom model, although I wish they would have had a f/2.5, instead of 4.9, at the tele end. Still superb. For $500, you're getting a DSLR, pretty much.

Hardly! Hanging one of these Lens-Style Cameras on your smartphone makes it a point & shoot, NOT a Digital SLR.  It's not even close to being a Digital SLR.

Mark

• Reply 11 of 84
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

If you're in a hurry and didn't expect to be taking pictures at all, then you'll just use your iPhone as usual--the lens in your pocket won't prevent that. And if you weren't expecting to be taking pictures, then you left your dedicated camera at home anyway, so that's no better.

If you WERE expecting to take pictures, then just as you'd have decided to lug your dedicated camera, you would instead decide to attach this camera to your iPhone. "Getting it out" and "turning it on" are not steps you can avoid with a regular camera either. Finding the app? Put it in your Dock. It's not as though adjusting the settings of a regular camera is an instant thing.

A standalone camera has its place, but lacks the photo apps (editing, organizing, sharing) and Internet connectivity of an iPhone. This new line allows a new option to combine the features of both. I welcome it.

Lack of peer-to-peer would of course be bizarre and a deal-breaker! My AR.Drone flying camera works out in the wild with no base station (it IS one, essentially) so there's hope. (True peer-to-peer without the cam acting as a base station would be better, so you could still be on local WiFi if available for sending photos. Useful to avoid your data cap... vital with an iPod Touch.)

• Reply 12 of 84

Apparently, the "I want to look as stupid as possible" market is much larger than I thought. This product will be just perfect for the ignoramus using an iPad to shoot several hundred photos while sitting in front of me at my kid's school play.

• Reply 13 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

Hardly! Hanging one of these Lens-Style Cameras on your smartphone makes it a point & shoot, NOT a Digital SLR.  It's not even close to being a Digital SLR.

How is it not?  You don't have to attach it to your phone (you can carry it separately or mount it on a tripod), the $499 model has a real (not optical) zoom, it uses high-quality sensors and lenses.

The only thing missing really is a good way to grip it when you want both the phone and lens together.  But I have no doubt accessory makers aren't far behind with a proper handheld mounting bracket.

• Reply 14 of 84
    Quote:

Using this, the lens can be attached to the back of an iPhone, and together the units will work in tandem as a high-end camera.

high-end? you are not being serious are you? 

Quote:

Users looking to rapid-fire photos may want to turn off the auto-transfer functionality.

Hence not even close to high-end

As I said before, this will do a lot to change the way we take pictures. Helium balloons (tethered) for large scenic and group shots and weddings. Hopefully no more in the mirror self portraits. This can easily be put onto a boom or a mono pod to gain different angles. It looks like a lot of fun. I just wish this was the quality of Canon glass, but hopefully, Canon will see this and introduce their own. 

• Reply 15 of 84

Why does the larger lens have only a 3.6x zoom, while the smaller one is 10x?  

• Reply 16 of 84
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

The high-end version is basically a $750 Cyber-shot RX100 II camera where the iPhone is the screen and all the controls.  Seems like an awkward tweener product.  It's not that much more compact/portable than the real camera and it's not that much cheaper and I give up the dedicated controls.  A $100 product that is smaller (and isn't as high quality, obviously) makes a lot more sense.

• Reply 17 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Hence not even close to high-end

Uh, did you miss the part about it storing the images to a memory card on the lens?  The auto-transfer feature is only to get the pictures to your phone (if you need that).

Please, all you pro photographers, enlighten us unwashed masses on how this is not a reasonable DSLR (obviously not for professionals, but for most others)?

• Reply 18 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

The high-end version is basically a $750 Cyber-shot RX100 II camera where the iPhone is the screen and all the controls.  Seems like an awkward tweener product.  It's not that much more compact/portable than the real camera and it's not that much cheaper and I give up the dedicated controls.  A $100 product that is smaller (and isn't as high quality, obviously) makes a lot more sense.

I think you are missing the advantages from a photography viewpoint. Read my post two up from yours. 

• Reply 19 of 84
    To answer the question regarding peer-to-peer or requiring an existing WIFI network, of course it won't require an existing WIFI network. It'll work anywhere. Peer-to-peer via a wifi connection between the phone and the lens. There's a photo above that includes information that explains the wifi password is unique and is printed in the batter compartment.

As for the flash question... I can't find anything on it. From the pictures it looks like, at least on the iPhone, the flash isn't obstructed. So I don't see why it couldn't be triggered via Sony's app. The question is will the lens obstruct the flash's reach.

Clunky? Obviously you've never traveled with a variety of camera gear. This looks like it might be THE perfect travel photography setup for the average person. Pretty much everyone has a smartphone. Now they can turn it into a powerhouse point and shoot.

This is quite possibly the best move Sony has ever made in the smartphone market. Creating an accessory like this that supports the iPhone and other Android phones and is smartphone agnostic is a brilliant move.

The best camera is the one you have with you, and while the iPhone and current high end Android's have fantastic cameras, they aren't an RX100 and this makes it possible to have an RX100 at the ready. Perfect not just for travel but everyday carry. Anyone that doesn't see the value in this is blind.

Can't wait to take the QX100 for a spin myself. I just returned from a trip to Panama and Costa Rica and would have loved to have had this while traveling.
  • Reply 20 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by reydn View Post

This is the future of point-and-shoot . . .

Correct, as they won't be available until later this month :P