Rumored 'iPad mini 2' and 'iPad 5' shells get detailed comparison in new video

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Following up on a video released on Tuesday, a new high quality clip has hit the Web comparing and contrasting rear aluminum shells of Apple's purported next-generation iPad mini and full size iPad.

iPad mini 2

The short video, uploaded to Unbox Therapy's YouTube channel, features what appears to be "leaked" rear casings supposedly bound for Apple's next-generation iPad and iPad mini. While pictures of the parts have been circulating for some time, the clip offers a closer look at how the two tablets may compare when released.

In Wednesday's comparison, the shells' dimensions were compared and contrasted. Most interesting is a nearly identical thickness, or depth, suggesting the upcoming 9.7-inch iPad has slimmed down from the current generation.

Both shells share the same design carried over from the existing iPad mini, with curved, non-tapered edges and a substantially flat back. The shared design would bring parity to Apple's tablet lineup, making a decision to buy more about specifications than looks.

Also of note are the "mirrored" Apple logos, which look to be made of polished metal. The current iPad features a plastic covered cutout that doubles as an antenna window, while the iPad mini's Apple logo is merely polished out of the aluminum case.

Unsurprisingly, the supposed next-gen iPad mini shell bears no significant changes from the current model. There has been little to no talk of major design changes since iPad mini rumors began to circulate earlier this year. Most speculation has been concerned with internal upgrades, or more specifically, the inclusion of a Retina display.

Whether the next-gen mini will boast a high-resolution screen like its bigger brother is a hotly contested topic, though reports from August claim Apple's display suppliers are already ramping Retina panel production for a fall launch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Can't wait. Look forward to battery life ratings and heat dissipation reviews. Apple has really done a great job with their heat management in all of their new product designs vs their previous iterations- rMBP, iMac, Time Capsule, Airport Express, and iPhone 5
  • Reply 2 of 12
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    This douchebag should totally be a sports announcer.

"... and a big shout out to my friend stinky for shooting this video and remember, cheezits will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no cheezits." (wave product at screen)

More substantively ... how is the new mirror-finish Apple logo actually different from the *current* mirror finish Apple logo? I've heard it's different too, but it looks identical on the video and to make a big deal of it and mention it as "the one cosmetic difference" and then not even elaborate is amateurish. It's not like he had a lot of content to work with anyway.

This guy knows nothing. He's a talking head wanna-be announcer.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

"... and a big shout out to my friend stinky for shooting this video and remember, cheezits will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no cheezits." (wave product at screen)

He's thanking the one who provided those iPad 5 and iPad Mini 2 casings. I think, you're the douchebag for over-analyzing other people. 

• Reply 4 of 12
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I like the black back of my iPad Mini. Hopefully Apple doesn't ditch the black completely.

I would also like to see the full sized iPad come with a black back.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

I will probably upgrade my ipad 3 this year. 

• Reply 6 of 12
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

So if the 5 shell is the same thickness as the mini does that mean mini gets retina?

• Reply 7 of 12
    rogifan wrote: »
    So if the 5 shell is the same thickness as the mini does that mean mini gets retina?

It means the thickness obviously isn't a factor...

I see retina in the mini as the next logical progression, as they did with iPhone 4 at the same price as the 3GS.

Have spoken to a couple of people who plan on the mini, but only if has retina.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    gazoobee wrote: »
    douchebag... knows nothing... talking head wanna-be announcer.

Wow, tell us how you really feel.

As far as YouTube reviews go I thought he was pretty professional - not yelly or nervous, or waffling extra crap.

If they're legit then will make a big difference to usability as far as weight goes. From what I've seen in reviews & opinions that's one of the main reasons some prefer the mini.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    makingdots wrote: »
    He's thanking the one who provided those iPad 5 and iPad Mini 2 casings. I think, you're the douchebag for over-analyzing other people. 
    Is douchebag an official English word yet? If not it should be.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post

Is douchebag an official English word yet? If not it should be.

Why wouldn't it have been?

• Reply 11 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

More substantively ... how is the new mirror-finish Apple logo actually different from the *current* mirror finish Apple logo? I've heard it's different too, but it looks identical on the video and to make a big deal of it and mention it as "the one cosmetic difference" and then not even elaborate is amateurish. It's not like he had a lot of content to work with anyway.

This guy knows nothing. He's a talking head wanna-be announcer.

I disagree.

• Reply 12 of 12
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I find that polished Apple logo on the iPad 5 casing curious. On earlier scoops of both the new iPad and iPad mini rear casings we saw a cut-out for the logo, but not the part itself, meaning its not just polished onto the case but added as a separate component later on. So maybe that logo is a little bit of Liquidmetal, as it looks far nicer than the polycarbonate insert on the iPad 4 while also retaining RF transparency. It would be a nice classy little touch together with a sapphire crystal, finger print reading, home button that these new iPad's might come with as well.