Inside Samsung's Galaxy Note 3 & Gear media blitz in Times Square

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    could not resist - gushing video - but look how sluggish it is -

• Reply 42 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

They're also spending quite a bit on product placement, almost every time a smartphone is shown on a TV show or movie it's a Samsung.

In that show Under The Dome, the whole town only uses Microsoft Surface tablets. Weirdest town ever.

• Reply 43 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Ugh. Sluggish doesn't begin to describe it.

• Reply 44 of 90
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Those slotted screws look tacky. Even I know whenever you use slotted screws in a finished application such as on electrical switch plates. etc, you always make sure that the slots are aligned, not just Helter Skelter any random angle they end up. No attention to detail.

I thought I was going to be the only anal-retentive freak to notice this ;)

Well I guess it is appropriate to have them misaligned if the torque being correct is the more important factor. For example in cabinetry it looks nice having them align but that means all the screws are either over tightened or loosened to some degree up to 90°. In the case of antique fire arms when the esthetics require the slots to align, what some would do is tighten them to the proper torque and then mark the desired alignment. Then remove the screw, weld up the slot finish the head smooth and recut the slot at the desired angle. I suppose there is a case to be made for both scenarios as mentioned previously 

• Reply 45 of 90

kill it before? it lays eggs...

(stolen from another site - no apology)

• Reply 46 of 90

Sad thing too about the Gear is it is only a companion or interacts with the Galaxy Note III only.  It won't work with any other Galaxy phones.  What a fugly wrist phone.

• Reply 47 of 90
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post

The new microsoft

No, no, no, Microsoft used "Where would you like to go today?", Samsung is using "What would you like to do?".

Obviously Samsung is completely different.

• Reply 48 of 90
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    In that show Under The Dome, the whole town only uses Microsoft Surface tablets. Weirdest town ever.

Maybe that's why they are in a dome. Could be worse, everyone could have Kins.
  • Reply 49 of 90

So Apple events are sold out within 60 minutes while Samsung has beg and bribe random passerby (with no life?) to sit down and watch as they unveil their "innovations".

Pathetic. 

• Reply 50 of 90

They actually released that watch with fanfare? It's bloody hideous!!

I'm really praying Apple has some better ideas up their sleeve.

I'll stick with this for now, it's served me well for a long time and still gets looks

• Reply 51 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Ah, c'mon!  There's "super awesome stuff going on here!" plus "The boxes are super cool!".  

Totally dude! ;)

/s

Must - find - barf - bag

• Reply 52 of 90
    Samsung's bribing of people walking through Times Square reeks of desperation -- just a little less desperate than its rush to beat Apple with the watch. The Zune will be a smashing success in comparison.
  • Reply 53 of 90
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Here is what I find interesting and I think many people are thinking the same thing. iWatch, is it a real wrist watch or something else, did the  competitors rush to out market Apple on a product which was not what they thought. Someone here already eluded to, iwatch could be the next apple TV, they may have renamed it so not to confuse people with ITV which is a completely different experience.

I am thinking that apple has now move on to the next great thing while Samsung and other are trying to out pace apple on the Phone side only to find that Apple has now move into a completely different market. Apple did it with the Ipad, everyone was chasing the next phone only to be blind side on the table side. Everyone was think about the next ipod only to find out that apple was planning a phone.

It would not surprise me at this point to hear next week that apple announces the new phones with iOS 7 as expect but they show off the real iwatch which is not a wrist watch. Then watch the competition say but what about the watch we though you were making a watch.

People care about their health. No more so than those who exercise or play sports. This is a large sector of most communities. A watch-like device is very, very convenient under these circumstances for quickly viewing whatever parameters are displayed. Useful parameters such as heart rate, speed, power output, distance covered, time, cadence, location, interval performance and management, blood oxygen and lactic acid levels during exercise, blood glucose levels, body temperature, predicted performance at current rates etc, require sensory input. Apple has displayed an interest in this field, such as seen in the alliance with Nike. Therefore, it seems that if Apple is interested in wearable computing that any device be capable of interrogating the body or convenient sensors. Remote methods of determining valuable parameters have been studied for some time, such as here - http://spie.org/x48866.xml. (The speckle technique discussed here is interesting, as Apple's mouse would employ laser speckle to determine movement.) It is conceivable that a wearable Apple device could therefore be capable of determining some parameters quite independently and either display these or send the data to an iPhone for further action such as alerting the wearer (or medical service) to possible harm. (Interestingly, differential measures show promise in better predicting the onset of a potentially harmful condition - http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/different-blood-pressure-in-right-and-left-arms-could-signal-trouble-201202014174. Perhaps Apple could release dual, networked, wearable devices lol.)

If Apple were to release an iWatch, it would provide greater functionality than currently available devices, hopefully preparing a new chapter in biometrics and personal, health and fitness networking even if relying on a iPhone for some of the processing or communications tasks. Great opportunities present for Apple that Samesung's announcement hasn't sullied.

All the best.

• Reply 54 of 90
    Agree with everyone who wonders if Iwatch was just a fake out for the competitors. Perhaps Tim Cook will say that the head is the next frontier of wearable tech. So next year Samsung will reveal the Internet Hat? Hair band?

Will we all be laughing at this watch and Google Glass in a year?
  • Reply 55 of 90
    gtr wrote: »
    Android users must be looking forward to moving from phablets to wriblets...
    As far as the SamWatch, "clunky" as one poster said comes to mind.
    I will not lie as a consumer I really want an iPhablet but can make due with an iPhone & a mini iPad.
    As an investor I envision the all in 1 Phablet disrupting the PC/small smart phone/tablet market in emerging markets & having a large impact in the western worlds as well.
  • Reply 56 of 90
    Yes... Keep spending massive amounts of cash on those questionable promotions Samsung, while Apple lets the world beat a path to their door. In fact, Samsung should buy up ALL of the advertising slots for the next Super Bowl.
    Samsung already like spends 3 times more in advertising, but 1 apple commercial and 100 Samsung will still allow apple to win.
  • Reply 57 of 90
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Samsung already like spends 3 times more in advertising, but 1 apple commercial and 100 Samsung will still allow apple to win.

Win what?
  • Reply 58 of 90
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Win what?

Mind share, customer satisfaction, devotion, loyalty, respect, admiration, brand recognition, enviable profit margins not to mention stock value.

• Reply 59 of 90
    Dumbest watch idea! period.
    When Samsung learn to make technology work for purpose, not just for the sake of technology like its Samsung Galaxy which full of technology but most not really useful.

1. Why I need a camera and video?
    2. I need much longer battery life.
    3. Display SMS and time, simple notification etc that shown by a phone.
    4. Simple remote for control music.
    5. Heart rate etc monitoring.

If it cost $300, it needs to be really compensated for a phone but just a separated gadget.

Sorry, Samsung, I am not a geek.
  • Reply 60 of 90
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

That's actually a pretty watch- the gold is nice if it were smaller for a girl (or for a big girl). But girls won't buy this. Nerds will. Hence why it won't be successful. When apples watch comes out it'll be hip and successful. Not to mention not huge, clunky, sluggish, etc. people wonder why apple "takes so long" sometimes... They get it right. You see that lag? Apple wouldn't want their name on that crap.