New high-res pics may again show Apple's 'iPhone 5S' fingerprint sensor

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Another leaked part allegedly for Apple's next-generation "iPhone 5S" claims to show the fingerprint scanning component that is expected to be concealed under the handset's home button.

Home
A component claimed to be Apple's "iPhone 5S" fingerprint scanner. Pictures via Sonny Dickson.

The new high-resolution images published on Thursday by Sonny Dickson show a circular component that is presumed to fit underneath the iPhone home button. At its center is what could be the fingerprint scanning mechanism.

Lending some credibility to the validity of the part is the fact that it's identical to another component shown off on Tuesday in lower-resolution images. But the latest pictures give an even better look at the part that could be the defining feature of Apple's next flagship iPhone.

Home
A component claimed to be Apple's "iPhone 5S" fingerprint scanner. Pictures via Sonny Dickson.

The leaked parts show a home button component that is considerably more complex than the component Apple used in the current-generation iPhone 5. Another leak from last month also suggested that Apple has implemented a number of internal design tweaks to accommodate a scanner beneath the home button.

Evidence of the rumored feature was also discovered in a beta of iOS 7. A reference to a "Biometric Kit" and another describing an image of a person placing their thumb over the home button for "recognition" were found hidden within the pre-release software.

Home

The rumored "iPhone 5S" feature is believed to be powered by Apple's $356 million acquisition of AuthenTec last summer. The firm described that its "semiconductor-based sensors are based on both capacitive and radio frequency (RF) technology that detects an image of the fingerprint ridge and valley pattern beneath the surface of the skin, thus capturing sharp and clear fingerprint patterns from the live layer."

AppleInsider noted more than a year ago that AuthenTec's AES850 component, called "the world?s smallest authentication/navigation smart sensor in a durable package," appeared capable of serving as an iPhone home button. Such a feature could allow an iPhone to securely and quickly identify a user for tasks such as unlocking the device or entering a password.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    None of this makes any kind of sense at all. I suppose all will be revealed soon though.
  • Reply 2 of 64

Certainly looks different than the current home button. Only five days until we hear all about it officially :)

• Reply 3 of 64
    They need to give Siri different vocals. I need my iPhone to have HAL's voice and greet me when it realizes it's me via fingerprint sensor.
  • Reply 4 of 64
    Thank you, Sonny Dickson.

Who needs WikiLeaks when there's iPhoneLeaks

:)
  • Reply 5 of 64
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member
    This is *considerably* smaller than the AES850 sensor though. What is this?
  • Reply 6 of 64
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Lordy, lordy how I hope this is true. Innovation can come in small degrees and be mind blowing. Right now my iPad is without password protection because I am a lazy sod. Machete at my side is my only protection until fingerprint button comes. Then my only worry will be the safety of my index finger, to which am quite attached. :D
  • Reply 7 of 64
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member

One has to wonder whether they could pull fingerprints from the photo of the hand?

• Reply 8 of 64
    That same name keeps coming up in leaks... Surely with that many billion in the bank he could be tracked and "silenced"...

Gotta wonder how he gets the stuff, and if he's actually raking in much cash from it?
  • Reply 10 of 64
    What part of this does the finger slide over?
  • Reply 11 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

Lordy, lordy how I hope this is true. Innovation can come in small degrees and be mind blowing. Right now my iPad is without password protection because I am a lazy sod. Machete at my side is my only protection until fingerprint button comes. Then my only worry will be the safety of my index finger, to which am quite attached. image

mine too - i wics there was a method that some apps could be launched (selected by user) without entering a password, safari, video, kindle etc.. Anytime i lend my iPad to my kids or anyone else while im driving, means i gotta enter a password, or tell them out loud. Now my email and anything else sort of private is exposed.

• Reply 12 of 64

I would so love having my phone have Hal's voice. What a treat that would be.

• Reply 13 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

One has to wonder whether they could pull fingerprints from the photo of the hand?

No, they can't. It needs to scan multiple skin layers of a finger to be useful, lifting a print by any conventional methods won't work.

• Reply 14 of 64
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    mhikl wrote: »
    Lordy, lordy how I hope this is true. Innovation can come in small degrees and be mind blowing. Right now my iPad is without password protection because I am a lazy sod. Machete at my side is my only protection until fingerprint button comes. Then my only worry will be the safety of my index finger, to which am quite attached. :D

I have to believe these days these things can detect if the finger is alive and well .... I have seen too many movies with removed eyeballs, fingers and hands!
  • Reply 15 of 64
    Consider all the high quality leaks for the iPhone 5s and 5c. We know what they look like, we have seen their components, the boxes they come it. There is video of a 5c running with the screen on. Here is a detailed photo of the 5s fingerprint sensor. OK now ask yourself why there has not been one single leaked photo of the iWatch? Does it not really exist or is Apple building it in a super secret assembly like using robots?
  • Reply 16 of 64
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Now that is one sexy, sexy component.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    That's all nice but real innovation is a fricking big-ass screen. Apple is doomed if they don't release an iPhone in 4",4.5",5",5.5",6" sizes! Doooooooomed! /s
  • Reply 18 of 64
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

I don't think the finger has to slide over with the Authentec scanners. You just touch it. 

• Reply 19 of 64
    Originally Posted by leesmith View Post

What part of this does the finger slide over?

Have you ever slid your finger over your Home Button? There will be no sliding.

• Reply 20 of 64
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I really hope it more than just a finger print sensor... The problem with current sensor technology is that it takes time to register a "passing" value. When we were at Disney, they had fingerprint scanners which took 10 seconds to recognize you as being you. Sometimes the process had to be repeated%u2026

Can you imagine having to unlock your ringing phone while you wait for your finger to be registered or losing "in the moment picture" because your phone won%u2019t unlock fast enough? I don%u2019t know. I guess I will and see how it is implemented.