Apple preparing developers for Safari Push Notifications rollout in Mavericks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52

Hm, I'm not a dev, so maybe one of you can enlighten me. As I understood Craig during the sneak peek of Mavericks he said something like "So if you've an app today that sends push notifications to an iOS device? Well now you can sign up to receive those notifications on your Mac as well. Whether Safari is running or not".

From this I understood that you would be able to receive all notifications for apps that are on your iOS device, e.g. What's App, eBay, Hipstamatic, games etc. Is this correct?

• Reply 22 of 52
    It will definitely be opt-in. You will have to grant permission and can revoke that permission at any time.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    This is not a good feature for the end user. This is only good for the web site owners. I hope this can be completely disabled.
  • Reply 24 of 52

I’ll use it for checking Gmail. I’m struggling to see what the fuss is about to be honest.

• Reply 25 of 52
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bottleworks View Post

This is not a good feature for the end user. This is only good for the web site owners. I hope this can be completely disabled.

You need to read the rest of the comments before adding your own.

• Reply 26 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

I can subscribe to a site using RSS (Apple chose to leave that to third parties, which is fine), and if I really want to follow something, they can provide an app with or without notifications. I do use e.g. Apple Insider's app and did allow it to send notifications.

I do use the browser (Safari in this case) to go to random sites and expect this to be a painless experience. I do not want to be prompted for notification approvals. And I especially do not want my mother to be prompted for this crap. Every time a dialogue she did not expect comes up on her screen, she calls me. Why 10.9 should increase these calls by several 100 percent, for nothing, is simply beyond me. There is nothing this does make better.

So what you are essentially saying here, is that for each website you use, taking this one as an example, you would rather download and install and use a separate native app that handles notifications independently of a single system wide resource, and that because this is your particular poison then no-one else should have the ability to do this in a slightly less bloated manner...? I'd hate to see your iPhone home screen.

As for your poor mother, well as already indicated, at the very worst she might get 1 request for provide Safari with permission to send notifications.  Say no to that, and you're golden, no more requests.  Simple.  No need to make such a fuss.

• Reply 27 of 52

I'm a mod on a Stack Exchange website, and I get notifications of all sorts of things regularly.  At the moment I use a bizarre and awkward combination of RSS feeds, IFTTT and Boxcar to send me stuff that is now notifiable via a system wide resource (should SE choose to implement it).  Sounds good to me.

• Reply 28 of 52

Yea, me neither (regarding people bashing this idea). It's another one of those, if you like it, use it, if you don't, ignore it. There is no way Safari will let something spam your desktop if you never opted in for it. There would also be a setting in Safari preferences to turn off all notifications just like in iOS (If not, people will come up with terminal commands to shut it off). 

I don't see iAds popping up on my notification center on my iPhone (in the homescreen/lockscreen) or the NC on my mac. What makes you think Apple will do that to OS Mav? 

I'd personally love RSS feeds that pop up like Growl on the top right of my screen. Totally harmless. Some RSS feed programs just isn't simple enough. If this feature is built into Safari, it gives me another reason to stay with instead of moving to Chrome. Notifications for game scores, breaking news, new posts on AI, sounds fantastic. 

What I am seeing is a button on the Safari bar where you can add the specific site to your supposed "feed". I just hope this doesn't turn out to be like iOS where after you download an App, the notifications are automatically turned on and start spamming NC. I personally don't like having to go into settings to turn them off myself. Would be horrible if it carried on to my Mac. However, that would be for apps, there's no way visiting a site will cause you to automatically sign up and opt in for its Notifications. Should be more like a "Share to Facebook" kind of button on the site that you can add the feed to Safari "Add to Safari Feed". 

• Reply 29 of 52

I run a very busy bar/restaurant in Shanklin on the Isle of Wight. Many of our customers want to know what live music (and other events) we have planned and on which days. We currently have an Events page on our website - if I can easily send a notification out when I add a new event I'm sure those customers would love it - a lot better than email blasting or events on Facebook (which always seem to get lost in the clutter). Sounds like a win-win for me and my customers.

Understood that this is only for Safari users on Mavericks but I'm cool with that; anything I can do to promote the Mac more is fine by me.

• Reply 30 of 52
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Read this article and still don't know what this notification thing is supposed to accomplish or what current issue it's trying to address.  If it is Apple's solution to the RSS problem, I'd say: "try again Apple".  Maybe once I actually try it out i'll think otherwise.  So far, Feedly works well enough but I wish it would address posting comments on Blogs or pages that include reader comments.

• Reply 31 of 52
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by silversquonk View Post

I run a very busy bar/restaurant in Shanklin on the Isle of Wight. Many of our customers want to know what live music (and other events) we have planned and on which days. We currently have an Events page on our website - if I can easily send a notification out when I add a new event I'm sure those customers would love it - a lot better than email blasting or events on Facebook (which always seem to get lost in the clutter). Sounds like a win-win for me and my customers.

Understood that this is only for Safari users on Mavericks but I'm cool with that; anything I can do to promote the Mac more is fine by me.

I understand your dilemma, I'm assuming you've also tried a twitter or facebook method for promotions?  those seem to work fairly well from my experience.  But I agree, this might be a nicer alternative but it does limit your audience to Mac/Safari users.  not that that's a small audience.

• Reply 32 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I understand your dilemma, I'm assuming you've also tried a twitter or facebook method for promotions?  those seem to work fairly well from my experience.  But I agree, this might be a nicer alternative but it does limit your audience to Mac/Safari users.  not that that's a small audience.

Yes, we already use FB and Twitter to some good effect. I was just responding to all the negativity and pointing out that I can see some positive uses for opt-in applications. Many thanks for your comments.

• Reply 33 of 52
    I simply cannot imagine a more obnoxious "feature" than this.

And yes, we'll be able to turn it off--but how will that work. If I can completely disable it from all websites all of the time with just one setting in Notifications, then that's fine.

But what if it's on a website by website basis? Are websites going to constantly pop up a question asking for permission to spam me?

I use the Cookie app to only maintain permanent cookies from about 25 web sites. At all other sites, all of my web browsers will accept all cookies but then delete them (except for the 25) when I quit the browser. Will the sites where I don't keep permanent cookies keep asking for permission to send me messages?

Sorry, but this is a crap "feature."
  • Reply 34 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

I love 10.9 so far (truly, it is gorgeous), but this is simply a fucking annoyance. I hope nobody uses it.

Could you emphasise what exactly you find gorgeous about it. From what is announced, it doesn't seem too different from ML.

• Reply 35 of 52

Can anyone explain what the difference really is between these push notifications and Twitter? E.g. AI, they send twitter posts of their articles. If they also send push notifications – what do I gain? I get the same information twice. Doesn't sound like an improvement, and sounds as if push notifications are Apple's microblog solution (surely there is a character restriction on these notifications).

• Reply 36 of 52
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    noibs wrote: »

And yes, we'll be able to turn it off--but how will that work. If I can completely disable it from all websites all of the time with just one setting in Notifications, then that's fine.

But what if it's on a website by website basis? Are websites going to constantly pop up a question asking for permission to spam me?

I use the Cookie app to only maintain permanent cookies from about 25 web sites. At all other sites, all of my web browsers will accept all cookies but then delete them (except for the 25) when I quit the browser. Will the sites where I don't keep permanent cookies keep asking for permission to send me messages?

More importantly, how long before you HAVE to leave it on to use your bank's web site or your credit card site or any of the other sites you want to use? Just like popups, they were once optional, but are now absolutely required for many sites.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

More importantly, how long before you HAVE to leave it on to use your bank's web site or your credit card site or any of the other sites you want to use? Just like popups, they were once optional, but are now absolutely required for many sites.

This whole thing has a really bad smell to it.  It's the smell of Apple deciding to kiss the a** of big business at the expense of the users of Apple technology.  I expect this kind of thing from Microsoft but not Apple.

• Reply 38 of 52
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noibs View Post

It is not based on cookies. It is opt-in and yes you will get an invitation to allow push notifications when you first visit a site that has a push package registered with Apple. It works exactly like iOS apps notifications. If you accept the invitation the website and Apple's servers interact to register a token that represents your Mac. If you decline, the web site displays an icon where you can either change your mind and subscribe or if you decide you no longer want notifications, you can unsubscribe.

There is a WWDC session video online for developers that explains it all.

• Reply 39 of 52
    Originally Posted by noibs View Post

This whole thing has a really bad smell to it.  It's the smell of Apple deciding to kiss the a** of big business at the expense of the users of Apple technology.  I expect this kind of thing from Microsoft but not Apple.

What on EARTH are you talking about? Do you similarly whine that you get notifications from Mail because someone sent you a message?!

• Reply 40 of 52
    jragosta wrote: »
    I can picture that lots of sites will require you to turn the notifications on in order to use the site.

Surely not? This will be a feature of safari, which is only one browser; I can't imagine a company would ever deliberately design their website to only be functional with one (which is less popular for desktop users anyway).