Apple working on mystery product that may ship with new 17W power supply

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 99

I know the answer!*

iPad Server.

Basically, it would be the size of two iPad minis, side by side.  You can open two apps at once (multitasking FTW!) or, in teacher mode, pull up a student's screen while other software runs on the other side.  Works as a server to provide specific content and offer a level of control for the client (student) iPads.  Dual processors, 128GB storage.  Book it.  Done.

*well, I made one up, which is the same thing in this game.

• Reply 82 of 99
    I'm gonna say it's for an iPhone or an iWatch (which would use a lightning cable to charge it)
  • Reply 83 of 99
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member

I would not be surprised to see Apple adding a built in keyboard to the iPad.

But would that require a new charger?

• Reply 84 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

I would not be surprised to see Apple adding a built in keyboard to the iPad.

Complete and utter nonsense.
  • Reply 85 of 99
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member
    The product is the 20" iPad Extreme, and it requires more juice to charge the larger battery, just like the 17-inch MacBook Pro requires a larger power supply than the 15-inch and 13-inch. This power supply is clearly for an iOS product, but the wattage is higher than would be necessary for an iPhone. This is indeed an iPad Power supply, mark my word.
  • Reply 86 of 99

An other under engineered $80.00 power supply. Why don't they beef up the small cable interface where it mates with the box. Or design a detachable interface so it can be quickly replaced for a few pennies. Even from the grave Steve is still making a killing!

• Reply 87 of 99
    It could be an ARM based thin client running iOS.

This thin client could connect to iCloud and serve as an iTunesTV, FaceTime station or an iCloud workstation for applications such as Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Notes, Reminders, Find My iPhone and in the future... Apple Maps, iBooks, Messages, Cards etc...
  • Reply 88 of 99
    I
    jonshf wrote: »
    The iPad uses a 12W adapter while the iPhone uses 5W. 12 + 5 = 17. Maybe this will be a new separately sold 17W adapter that can charge two (or even 3) iOS devices simultaneously.
    Third parties have been offering this kind of thing but we all know what Apple thinks about third party power adapters.
    Spot on! This has been discussed previously and is the most likely use case. I can these selling by the millions.
  • Reply 89 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phranke2008 View Post

An other under engineered $80.00 power supply. Why don't they beef up the small cable interface where it mates with the box. Or design a detachable interface so it can be quickly replaced for a few pennies. Even from the grave Steve is still making a killing!

I'd like to see glass fiber optics play a role in chargers and more USB Devices. I could possibly come up with data saying that fiber optics allow a device to charge up to X amount of times faster than copper based wires currently used if I had access to a team of electricians and engineers. I would also use it for the AC box on the wall with the negative and positive prongs of the adapter made of glass or silicone. Let's get rid of copper wiring and replace it with glass!!!! MUAHAHAHAHA!

Or it could be for an Airport Express

• Reply 90 of 99
    Originally Posted by WardC View Post

The product is the 20" iPad Extreme

Eh, that's too extreme. A 15" iPad, however, will rule the world.

…just like the 17-inch MacBook Pro requires a larger power supply than the 15-inch and 13-inch.

But it didn't. The 15" and 17" always had 85w; 13" machines have always used 60w.

• Reply 91 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Eh, that's too extreme. A 15" iPad, however, will rule the world.

But it didn't. The 15" and 17" always had 85w; 13" machines have always used 60w.

Just build a Retina iPad with a display the same size as the 11" Macbook Air's, add a USB port (or wireless USB), and voilà!

(Yes that means iOS will have to work with USB. That shouldn't be terrible.)

• Reply 92 of 99
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    howie wrote: »
    Just build a Retina iPad with a display the same size as the 11" Macbook Air's, a<span style="line-height:1.4em;">dd a USB port (or wireless USB),</span>
    and voilà!
    That would be a very appealing machine.
    (Yes that means iOS will have to work with USB. That shouldn't be terrible.)
    it isn't terrible because iOS does work with USB. The problem is Apples tight control over drivers and other technology that makes third party hardware support difficult. Apples MiFi program has done as much harm to the platform as it has helped the platform.

Honestly though I don't want to see an explosion of drivers on iOS devices, especially third party ones. But Apple needs to do more here to allow people to produce low cost , even one off attachments, for iOS devices. Just including drivers for the common RS232 adapters would do wonders for the platform.
  • Reply 93 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

That would be a very appealing machine.

it isn't terrible because iOS does work with USB. The problem is Apples tight control over drivers and other technology that makes third party hardware support difficult. Apples MiFi program has done as much harm to the platform as it has helped the platform.

Honestly though I don't want to see an explosion of drivers on iOS devices, especially third party ones. But Apple needs to do more here to allow people to produce low cost , even one off attachments, for iOS devices. Just including drivers for the common RS232 adapters would do wonders for the platform.

They should be able to squeeze in 256GB of memory too. iBeacon, Bluetooth of course (already part of iOS 7). Maybe a bigger battery. The inevitable A7X (not Haswell). Etc.

So long as they kept the price point competitive with MBA it might very well sell. I don't know if it could replace MBA, but that might be a concern.

• Reply 94 of 99
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

…just like the 17-inch MacBook Pro requires a larger power supply than the 15-inch and 13-inch.

And yet I've always bought an 85w unit to use as a second power supply for my 13" MacBooks (despite all Genius advice to the contrary).

/threadjack

• Reply 95 of 99
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

And yet I've always bought an 85w unit to use as a second power supply for my 13" MacBooks (despite all Genius advice to the contrary).

Yep, there’s nothing wrong with that. It’ll run cooler, even.

• Reply 96 of 99
    Now that Apple has officially announced the iPad "Air," I'm guessing there's a good chance taht we'll soon see an iPad "Pro" for which this charger would be likely power source!
  • Reply 97 of 99
    bengregg wrote: »
    Now that Apple has officially announced the iPad "Air," I'm guessing there's a good chance taht we'll soon see an iPad "Pro" for which this charger would be likely power source!

That would be nice. It would be even nicer if it came as a MagSafe adapter that would allow the use of the dock connector for other needs. The lack of available ports on the iPads is still a big boner for me. Apple needs to address this some how so even a separate charging port would go a long ways to improving the hardware. Even better would be Apple licensing this port so that we could get direct power input from a car power point. IPADS great portability has me charging it all the time in the truck, so a faster recharge from a MagSafe type connection would be very handy.

Honestly I'd like to see this port on the iPads.

Oh and by the way they need to continue to support charring over USB.
  • Reply 98 of 99
    Must be for a bigger screened iPad.
  • Reply 99 of 99
    bookemd13 wrote: »
    Must be for a bigger screened iPad.

It could be for anything, that includes an AppleTV follow on that supports gaming and other features.