WSJ again claims Apple working on larger-screened iPhones up to 6" diagonal [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple is reportedly testing a variety of next-generation iPhones with larger screen sizes, some up to six inches diagonally, though the devices are not expected to roll out at next week's media event.

iPhone Plus
Mockup of iPhone with 4.94-inch screen, created by Marco Arment.

According to Wall Street Journal reporter Ian Sherr, sources say Apple is experimenting with large-format smartphones, also called "phablets," with display sizes ranging from 4.8 inches to 6 inches akin to products made by rival Samsung.

The sources claim internal discussions are finding Apple more open to launching a phablet iPhone. The company just last year upped the smartphone's screen to a 4-inch panel, the first such change in display size since the iPhone first hit the market in 2007.

Component suppliers say Apple has become particularly interested in the 4.8-inch form factor after recent tests.

The WSJ conveyed identical rumors in July, reporting that larger format iPhones may also be joined by a 13-inch iPad.

During Apple's quarterly conference call in April, CEO Tim Cook was asked about the possibility of an iPhone phablet. He said the company would not ship a device with a larger screen until solutions are found for certain "trade-offs," including battery life, color reproduction and longevity among others. Cook had no comment on whether Apple is experimenting with bigger iPhone products, though it can speculated that the company is at least toying with the idea.

Update: This story was originally based on a tweet and has since been updated to reflect all available information.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 161
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Edited: Okay I cede to the intelligent opinions of this group and I retract my suggestion that the WSJ writer is trying to dampen public enthusiasm for the new iPhones by suggesting that even better, bigger iPhones are coming soon.

The public knows that Apple would never release even big screen phones right away after the impending announcement. Conclusion: My post was utterly wrong.
  • Reply 2 of 161
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Emphasize the word "working". I'm sure Apple is (or has) testing many different sizes for current and future products. Apple has been doing that for years. It's called "R&D". Is this WSJ writer just trying to get his 3.5 minutes of instant Apple gratification via web hits?

Oh wait... never mind.
  • Reply 3 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

sources say Apple is actively experimenting with large-format smartphones, also called "phablets," with display sizes akin to products made by rival Samsung.

Experimenting != Producing

Honestly without a proper pressure sensitive stylus, it would be much less useful either way.

• Reply 4 of 161
    IMO- if they would make the 4.9 size phone (fine phablet... what ever, many people like the size), then allow a bit more openness for lock screen management / keyboards etc that should take away ~90% of Android users usual complaints about iOS (understanding more comnplaints, real or imagined, will be identified soon after).
  • Reply 5 of 161

Let's be fair and acknowledge the fact that Apply may be (not is) copying Samsung this time with the phablet.

*Waits for Applefans to portray this the wrong way in 3...2...*

• Reply 6 of 161
    Yay, iPhone 6 rumors are getting started! Its about time!
    Joking aside, if you read the iOS7 design guidelines it is pretty obvious that they are prepping developers for a variety of screensizes. This device refresh is the last we will see just 3 screen ratios (currently 16x9, 4x3, 3x2) and pixel dimensions in my opinion.
  • Reply 7 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

Let's be fair and acknowledge the fact that Apply may be (not is) copying Samsung this time with the phablet.

*Waits for Applefans to portray this the wrong way in 3...2...*

They simply won't do that unless they can figure out how to solve the current trade off's

• Reply 8 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

They simply won't do that unless they can figure out how to solve the current trade off's

Right. But if they do figure that out, then they will be copying Samsung's display size. 

• Reply 9 of 161
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    mac-daddy wrote: »
    Right. But if they do figure that out, then they will be copying Samsung's display size. 
    Would it really matter that much? Apple would get teased a little like they did with the iPad mini and then everyone would move on.
  • Reply 10 of 161
    Yay, iPhone 6 rumors are getting started! Its about time!
    Joking aside, if you read the iOS7 design guidelines it is pretty obvious that they are prepping developers for a variety of screensizes. This device refresh is the last we will see just 3 screen ratios (currently 16x9, 4x3, 3x2) and pixel dimensions in my opinion.
    Wait - what iOS device uses a 3x2 ratio?
  • Reply 11 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Would it really matter that much? Apple would get teased a little like they did with the iPad mini and then everyone would move on.

Everyone would move on, and rightfully so. But there would be a lot of egg on the faces of many of the usual posters of this site that type as fast as they can to get their Samsung-copying comments posted. 

• Reply 12 of 161
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

"WSJ publishes speculative article trying to dampen public's willingness to buy about-to-be-released iPhones."

Won't work. New phones will sell like crazy. Stock is going up.

I don't believe your accusation that WSJ has a specific agenda to limit sales of the new iPhone.

• Reply 13 of 161

In the last 17 years, Apple has tended not to make utter crap. Why would anyone believe this?

And Apple doesn't copy Samsung.

Originally Posted by reydn View Post

Wait - what iOS device uses a 3x2 ratio?

All iPhones and iPod touches with a 3.5" screen…

• Reply 14 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In the last 17 years, Apple has tended not to make utter crap. Why would anyone believe this?

And Apple doesn't copy Samsung.

All iPhones and iPod touches with a 3.5" screen…

Samsung makes a phablet first. Apple makes one after. 

I'm purely comparing screen sizes of a product, nothing more. So yes, Apple would be copying Samsung. Just like when Samsung copied Apple with a tablet. 

• Reply 15 of 161
    I've been anticipating a gap-filling 6" device from Apple for some time. The "iPad Nano" perhaps?

Eventually: 13" iPad "Pro", 10" iPad, 8" iPad Mini, 6" iPad "Nano" (hybrid phone/pad?), 4" iPhone, 4" iPod Touch%u2026

That 6" middle-ground device could incorporate their evolving voice-based communication (FaceTime, now with the Audio-only feature coming with iOS7), or provide a cellular-based voice option. Either way, between FaceTime and Skype, not much prevents a person from using any iOS device as a 'phone'. Perhaps this will take that further.

By the time it might release, I also see no reason to need to put it up to your head (like a handset). Headphones, bluetooth headset, speaker%u2026 for some even a 'smart watch' option might work. Plenty of options to easily imagine there.

I like the potential in any case!
  • Reply 16 of 161
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

"WSJ publishes speculative article trying to dampen public's willingness to buy about-to-be-released iPhones."

Won't work. New phones will sell like crazy. Stock is going up.

No.  Check your price again.  It's down over $3 today.

• Reply 17 of 161

Samsung makes a phablet first. Apple makes one after. So yes, Apple would be copying Samsung.

NO. SORRY. TRY IT AGAIN. Stop pretending to be so vacuous.

• Reply 18 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

NO. SORRY. TRY IT AGAIN. Stop pretending to be so vacuous.

Sorry. Don't need to try again. Pretty much spoke the truth there. Nor do I need to type in all caps to vent my frustration. 

• Reply 19 of 161
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:

Samsung makes a phablet first. Apple makes one after. 

I'm purely comparing screen sizes of a product, nothing more. So yes, Apple would be copying Samsung. Just like when Samsung copied Apple with a tablet. 

Plus the iPhone-c.  Why come out with a cheap plastic version like Samsung?  Apple shouldn't get into the non-profit cheap market at all.

• Reply 20 of 161

Pretty much spoke the truth there.

No, you lied through your teeth, poorly, and with intent to troll. "Pretty much" isn't anywhere near sufficient, particularly when you know better.