Online Apple Store out of refurbished Apple TVs, hints at possible refresh

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple has either run out of stock or suspended sales of refurbished Apple TVs through its online store, possibly hinting that a new version of the device is in the offing.

Apple TV Refurb
Internet cache of refurbished Apple TV webpage from April.

As noted by AppleInsider reader Brian, the Online Apple Store's refurbished product webpage no longer shows the Apple TV as available for sale. Apple recently cut the price of the refurbished device to $75 in early August, down from $85 as seen in the above image.

While it is possible that Apple has simply run out or suspended sales of refurbished units, the timing of the stockout jibes with recent rumors of a possible product refresh. A report on Tuesday noted Apple took receipt of three fairly large shipments from Chinese partner manufacturer BYD Precision in August, the contents of each described as "Set Top Boxes." The information was discovered in bills of lading from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Until the past few days, there have been little to no rumors regarding a new Apple TV, as most media attention has been focused on an anticipated iPhone lineup refresh. However, Apple has been actively updating the existing set-top streamer's content, adding channels like Vevo, Disney, Weather and Smithsonian in late August, while a beta of the next Apple TV software released in July was found to have reinstated iTunes purchasing.

Apple last refreshed its Apple TV in March 2012, adding 1080p output to the unit while retaining the prior model's design.

The Cupertino, Calif., company has scheduled a media event for Sept. 10 which is expected to see the unveiling of new iPhone models. Although mere speculation, it is possible that Apple may be planning to announce a new Apple TV product alongside the handsets.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34

Hmm. Why, though? The Refurb store often runs out of Mac Mini, for example. That doesn't imply a new Mac Mini is always around the corner.

I think it likely a new Apple TV will be released soon, but unlikely that this has any more to do with it than anything else.

• Reply 2 of 34
    Hmmm Apple TVs in mutiple colors¡
  • Reply 3 of 34
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    I have a hard time believing this is just a hardware update, but there have been zero leaks. Maybe this is the doubling down on security.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Apple has either run out of stock or suspended sales of refurbished Apple TVs through its online store, possibly hinting that a new version of the device is in the offing..

Maybe.

Or maybe they just ran out because not enough people are returning them so there aren't enough refurbs to satisfy demand?

Apple runs out of refurbs all the time.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    "Security" is nonexistent. Too many people along the supply chain opens up opportunities to pay someone for information.

I don't understand how a shipping label stating "set top box "with a communication function is indicative of anything. That is an accurate description of the current Apple TV.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Even once a new AppleTV comes out, they will still be selling refurbs of the old ones. They do it with iPads and Macs, why would this be different.

So to me running out of refurbs seems to mean very little!
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Both 4K / UltraHD and H.265 hardware decode-ready, presumably, via a Broadcom
    BCM7445 chip or the like. Not mentioned at AppleInsider in a while; be sure to look
    for such in the teardown. Of course the wireless bandwidth for 4K even with H.265
    remains out-of-reach for most, but H.265 for pre-existing 1080p would be sweet for content hogs and existing pipes.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    Originally Posted by retiarius View Post

Of course the wireless bandwidth for 4K even with H.265 remains out-of-reach for most…

802.11ac?

• Reply 9 of 34
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

802.11ac?

Not with H.264.

• Reply 10 of 34
    If There is an update I hope the increase the buffer size from 8gb to 16gb. My atv2 stalls about halfway through streaming 16gb HD movies from my mac.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    the online store is out of refurb apple tvs, so it must mean the apple branded automobile is imminent.
    [SIZE=2]
    edit: correct spelling of automobile[/SIZE]
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Let's see: OSX Mavericks = IOS 7, same GUI different devices.
    Better CPU, faster memory, SSD speed, graphics above 326 ppi.
    iCloud connection with all devices, add in my car, home stereo, Apple TV.
    What else is there to improve my experience?

Yes 4K display will be cool. I cannot wait to see it!

1Gbps Internet would be great - I can wait for it.

Unlimited content will be soon.

Future: Convenience, ease of use, Monitor my health! (maybe??)
    Wearable: Blood Preasure (24 Hr), Heart Rate (24hr), Activity (24hr).
    Sides: Food I consumed!, Exercise I did! Calories IN -less- Calories OUT = gain/loss. Easy!

Google Glasses - maybe. Just hope I am not distracted from life to get killed.

Maybe
  • Reply 13 of 34
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stniuk View Post

If There is an update I hope the increase the buffer size from 8gb to 16gb. My atv2 stalls about halfway through streaming 16gb HD movies from my mac.

Seriously?  What movie are you watching that's 16GB?  The Avengers downloaded from the iTunes store is only 2.19GB!

I'm not completely sure what the buffer is on the ?TV2 but I know it isn't anywhere near 8GB.  The RAM is 256MB and the total system memory is only 8GB.  That's primarily used for the OS and the limited apps that are currently available.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

802.11ac?

That's what I'm thinking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Not with H.264.

Why not?  How does H.264 affect the wireless spec?

• Reply 14 of 34
    Hmmm Apple TVs in mutiple colors¡

Maybe it's the fabled AppleTV with 5-inch IGZO display.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    jakeb wrote: »
    I have a hard time believing this is just a hardware update, but there have been zero leaks. Maybe this is the doubling down on security.

Every time an Apple NDA is violated, Tim Cook will murder another kitten.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    stniuk wrote: »
    If There is an update I hope the increase the buffer size.... My atv2 stalls about halfway through streaming 16gb HD movies from my mac.

Run a wire.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

"Security" is nonexistent. Too many people along the supply chain opens up opportunities to pay someone for information.

I don't understand how a shipping label stating "set top box "with a communication function is indicative of anything. That is an accurate description of the current Apple TV.

Siri...
  • Reply 18 of 34
    So you can get new Apple TV for 100 or semi new for 85, this 15% difference seems not enough in regular, but 1/4 vs about 1/6 is a more even deal.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member

Apple has held the Apple TV back for a looong time now. They are building up another killing device kept behind wraps for some time.

This product is years in the making, and it certainly does not rely on an "remote" or "voice" to be controlled. It will reinvent our living room experience, and give Apple a few years heads up like with the iPhone in 2007.

Whatever it turns out to be, I sure hope it involves UHD. But I somewhat doubt we will see anything on september 10th.

• Reply 20 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Seriously?  What movie are you watching that's 16GB?  The Avengers downloaded from the iTunes store is only 2.19GB!

I'm not completely sure what the buffer is on the ?TV2 but I know it isn't anywhere near 8GB.  The RAM is 256MB and the total system memory is only 8GB.  That's primarily used for the OS and the limited apps that are currently available.

That's what I'm thinking.

Why not?  How does H.264 affect the wireless spec?

Most 1080 movies downloaded of the internet come in at 8gb or more, some 20gb or more.