Apple may differentiate 'iPhone 5S' fingerprint scanning home button with silver ring [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And? That's how it is in all versions of Safari.

Home Screens, too.

No, the new Safari icon previously has had a bright red needle. In this picture it looks like the red part is light grey.

• Reply 22 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by K2kW View Post

But does the iPhone 5S do something new besides new font.

The physical design of the phone itself is pretty old-basically an iPhone 4 of almost 4 years ago.

Such an ignorant post. Pulling untrue statements out of your a$$.

• Reply 23 of 69
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Not saying I believe these pics are legit (I have no idea either way) but stop being so obnoxiously confident about everything. There's a variety of reasons Apple could choose to avoid including a wallpaper on the packaging, including the fact that with iOS7 the typography is more difficult to distinguish with a wallpaper, and the fact that they want to highlight the new icons and not have anything else creating clutter. Animated wallpapers are an irrelevant argument, because there's no way they can show that on packaging anyhow. History should teach you to have an open mind. It's not impossible that these might be legit. 
    Why wouldn't they use the wallpaper that is featured on apple.com? Also I've seen plenty of screen shots of people's home screens on iOS 7 and I have no problem distinguishing app or folder names. Seems to me about the same as iOS 6.
  • Reply 24 of 69
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Not that I'm defending their reality, but it could makes sense in light of the plain blue, pink, green etc. backgrounds on the iPhone 5c's.  If the iPhone 5s is being marketed similarly, then the backgrounds on the box art would be black, white, champagne and grey accordingly. 

I'm more appalled at the aesthetics of having a silver ring on the black face of the phone in the first place.  It would look at home on the white models, but the slate black ones will look kind of cheap with the silver ring.  

So you're appalled by something you haven't seen yet? Can we at least wait until the device is actually announced before we crap all over it? :rolleyes:
  • Reply 25 of 69
    chuckd wrote: »

Couldn't agree more. Having an ugly static grey ring kills the elegant look.

A better design would've been inspired by the elegant and nicely executed sleep indicator LED in MacBooks.
    How do you know it's going to be an ugly gray static ring?
  • Reply 26 of 69
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A black background on the Springboard when that hasn't been the case by default (or even a possibility) since iPhone OS 3, as well as hasn't shown up on a box since the same time, and when iOS 7 SPECIFICALLY HAS A FEATURE THAT HIGHLIGHTS ANIMATED BACKGROUNDS?

How stupid do you have to be to believe those images?!

I think the packaging photo is legit. On the leaked shots of various coloured iPhone 5C's in their packaging, the yellow bodied version had a solid yellow background on the home screen (a sticker I know but representative of what the activated home screen would look like) the blue bodied one a solid blue background etc...this is the black/slate version of the 5S so the background's black.

• Reply 27 of 69
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Does anyone else hear Burl Ives?  

That's the first thing that occurred to me, as well.
    Many people are going to be underwhelmed next week on the 10th, because expectations always run so high, given the track record of such innovation excellence. I hardly think Apple would put out anything gauche, but i like that word - it would be e more fitting replacement for 'gear' for new devices coming from other companies.

That's always the case with Apple rumors leading up to events like this. The rumor-mongers get out of hand and predict all sorts of amazing things. If Apple misses a single predicted feature (no matter how unlikely that feature was), the media starts their "disappointing product" mantra.
  • Reply 28 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I'm more appalled at the aesthetics of having a silver ring on the black face of the phone in the first place.  It would look at home on the white models, but the slate black ones will look kind of cheap with the silver ring.  

Couldn't agree more. Having an ugly static grey ring kills the elegant look.

A better design would've been inspired by the elegant and nicely executed sleep indicator LED in MacBooks.

But, isn't the MacBook Pro (which you apparently like) screen just a black bezel with a silver 'ring' (albeit rectangular, with rounded corners) around it?

• Reply 29 of 69

I don't see how you could put your finger on that little scanner and always use the same part of your finger, what if there is dirt and such on your finger? I use a lifeproof case too which covers the home button, so it would be a cool feature as long as it's implemented well.

• Reply 30 of 69
    The black background makes sense (as earlier posters have suggested) and is in line with the leaked 5C boxes, wherein the background wallpaper indicates the actual devices color. Besides, there is no way to demo the parallax effect on a sticker without taking a trip in time to 1980 and stealing a holographic sticker off a kid's lunchbox.

The ring around the home button could be misleading. An earlier poster suggested it could be an LED. That could be done tastefully. Perhaps it would light up after a positive scan then quickly fade away. That would be subtle yet tasteful.
  • Reply 31 of 69
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

The physical design of the phone itself is pretty old-basically an iPhone 4 of almost 4 years ago.

iPhone 4 is three years. The iPhone 5 design is in fact different from the 4 and 4S. iOS 7 is the operating system, it really doesn't have anything to with the iPhone 5S, as it will be available on other devices as well - but yes, there are many, many new features and functionality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why would 5C not have Siri when the 4S does?

I agree, there's no reason not to include it. What I believe will happen, is that the flagship models will get more offline functionality (Maps, Dictation, etc), and the 5C will need to be connected for everything. It may even come with extremely limited storage (8GB) requiring users to create an iCloud account and use it as a main source of storage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I agree. Apple has never changed the design of a product to let users know what features are or aren't available. The only reason for making such a change is if it has a specific function; it could be a capacitive sensor for activating the fingerprint sensor.

However, the silver rings in the invite are to highlight that white is also one of the colors of the bubbles. At least that was my take.

• Reply 32 of 69
    Quote:

AppleInsider has no reason to believe these images are in fact legitimate. But since they do support the theory of a silver-ringed iPhone home button, they are included in this story.

I just found this hilarious.

• Reply 33 of 69

OK, I am going to make a prediction about next week's Apple Event.  There will be two models of iPhone that come out, the 5S and the 5C.  However, I see everyone always refer to the 5C as being the Cheap version.  That doesn't make sense given Apple's track record and their corporate culture.  No, I think the C in this case stands for Color. Let me explain why I say that:

If they make the 5C as the Cheap version, then we are also assuming it will go below the current 5 on the pricing model.  While that can be done now, that says there will be only one iteration of the 5C, and next year when the iP6 comes out, it will drop off the planet.  That seems very unlikely.

Now, look at why it is for Color. One, there is the fact that this is a new model. Newer models will have a higher demand for them.  Even if they are on par with the iP5 spec-wise, they are still newer and it will generate a lot of interest. Secondly, Apple has a lot of experience with making colored cases, from the original iMac to the current iPod Touches and Nanos; it will not cost them much of anything to do this process, especially since they are already doing it with the current iTouch 5. Third, Apple never goes backward in functionality. That goes completely against their corporate culture.

Going off from what I just wrote, here is the new iPhone lineup:

iPhone 5 -- Takes the place of the iPhone 4

iPhone 5C -- Takes the place of the iPhone 4S

iPhone 5S -- Takes the place of the current iPhone 5

I also think that the iPhone 5C will come in two sizes (16GB and 32GB), in the 5 colors predicted (Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, and Purple). Then, the 5S will come in 3 sizes (32GB, 64GB, and 128GB), and in three colors (White, Black, and Champaign).

Will there be biometrics for the 5S, maybe; I give it a 65% chance of being in there.  Will Siri be there for the 5C, 100% definitely yes (refer to Apple doesn't go backwards).

This makes the most amount of sense, but then again I am just speculating.  BTW, does anyone know if Apple is going to live stream this event?

• Reply 34 of 69
    This is news based on past rumors. !! We know this already. The FPS rumors have no substantiation. The picture we've seen is questionable. Yes there is a Biometric Folder in IOS 7 betr. But that's it so far. 4 days to go and we're still not seeing any further proof. If its true this could be Apples best kept secret feature yet
  • Reply 35 of 69

Shut up and go away.

Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

iPhone 5 -- Takes the place of the iPhone 4

iPhone 5C -- Takes the place of the iPhone 4S

iPhone 5S -- Takes the place of the current iPhone 5

Flip it around. Plastic is the cheaper model.

• Reply 36 of 69
    doubt SIRI will be left out of the 5C model especially given the fact that Apple is pushing the whole car intergration/ eye-free bit. That said, I think the finger print sensor will be a 5S exclusive, at least for this year... who the heck knows what will happen next year with the rumored larger screen sizes... just wish that was this year since my 4S is starting to crap out (and so are my eyes, so I could use a screen larger than 4").
  • Reply 37 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

I don't see how you could put your finger on that little scanner and always use the same part of your finger, what if there is dirt and such on your finger? I use a lifeproof case too which covers the home button, so it would be a cool feature as long as it's implemented well.

AuthenTec's technology is supposed to scan below the surface of the skin making dirt and oil not as much of an issue.  I don't know about you, but the home button is so small that I use pretty much the same part of my thumb every time.  I'm sure there is also some software correction to where it doesn't have to be lined up perfectly every time.

Personally, I'm more concerned whether it will be almost instantaneous or if there will be a delay that could get annoying.  Hopefully, it will take less time than it takes to key in a 4 digit PIN.  In any even, I expect it to be a defeatable feature for those that do not like it. 

• Reply 38 of 69
    mjtomlin wrote: »
    iPhone 4 is three years. The iPhone 5 design is in fact different from the 4 and 4S. iOS 7 is the operating system, it really doesn't have anything to with the iPhone 5S, as it will be available on other devices as well - but yes, there are many, many new features and functionality.

I agree, there's no reason not to include it. What I believe will happen, is that the flagship models will get more offline functionality (Maps, Dictation, etc), and the 5C will need to be connected for everything. It may even come with extremely limited storage (8GB) requiring users to create an iCloud account and use it as a main source of storage.

I agree. Apple has never changed the design of a product to let users know what features are or aren't available. The only reason for making such a change is if it has a specific function; it could be a capacitive sensor for activating the fingerprint sensor.

However, the silver rings in the invite are to highlight that white is also one of the colors of the bubbles. At least that was my take.

I agree with everything except offline Siri only for the high end. I would think offline capability would be important for people in emerging markets.
  • Reply 39 of 69
    I am guessing the "Silver Ring" is actually like the apple logo and will bleed light when the sensor scans...just saying.
  • Reply 40 of 69
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    If you don't see Siri on the 5C

It's because on Friday evenings she

Has to think as you drive a whole mile

Only to say "try back in a little while."

In other words, you dreamers, [I]not enough infrastructure[/I]!