Contest: Win Apple's next iPhone & a new iSkin case of your choice

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Case maker iSkin has partnered with AppleInsider to offer readers a chance to win Apple's next flagship iPhone after the highly anticipated smartphone has been released.

contest

Readers in the U.S. and Canada (excluding Quebec) can now enter for a chance to win Apple's next-generation iPhone, plus a new iSkin case of their choice. iSkin's "Win the Next iPhone" giveaway will run through Oct. 18, after which one lucky winner will receive a free iPhone and case.

Entries to the contest require a first and last name, and a valid e-mail address. To enter, visit the official contest page.

Terms and conditions of the contest follow:

Official Rules

When entering iSkin?s Win the next iPhone 5 giveaway, entrants must provide first and last name, and a valid e-mail address. All entries, once submitted, become the property of iSkin. Any incomplete entries will not be eligible. Multiple entries, per email address, are not allowed. GIVEAWAY IS ONLY OPEN TO RESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES, CANADA (EXCLUDING QUEBEC).

Grand Prize, one (1) the next iPhone 5, plus one (1) new iSkin case of the winner's choice, subject to availability. Winner will be awarded the next iPhone 5, plus one new iSkin case or equivalent. This does not include any mobile data or service plan from any carrier.

No purchase necessary. Attempting to falsely claim prizes, or interfere in the operation of the iSkin Win the next iPhone 5 contest will result in the forfeiture of any prizes.

The iSkin Win the next iPhone 5 giveaway, expires on Friday, October 18th at 11:59pm.

iSkin reserves the right to select winners by random from eligible entries received as of the expiry date.

Conditions of Participation

iSkin reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value in the event that all or part of a prize becomes unavailable. Prizes are awarded without warranty of any kind from iSkin, express or implied, without limitation, except where this would be contrary to federal, state, provincial, or local law or regulation. All federal, state, provincial and local laws and regulations apply. Submission of entry into this giveaway deems that entrants agree to be bound by the terms of these Official Rules and by the decisions of iSkin, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this giveaway. Return of any prize/prize notification may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. Any potential winner who cannot be contacted within 10 days of first attempted notification will forfeit his/her prize and an alternate winner will be selected at random. Acceptance of the prize constitutes permission for, winners consent to, iSkin, and its agencies to use a winner?s name and/or likeness for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law. A participant may be prohibited from participating in this giveaway if, in iSkin?s sole discretion, it reasonably believes that the participant has attempted to undermine the legitimate operation of this giveaway by cheating, deception, or other unfair playing practices or annoys, abuses, threatens or harasses any other participants or associated agencies.

Liability

Entrant shall indemnify iSkin, its officers, directors, affiliates, contractors, subsidiaries, agents, employees and partners from and against all claims or suits and any damages or costs (including reasonable attorneys? fees) arising from or relating to entrant?s violation or inaccuracy of any warrantees or representations made relating to this giveaway. iSkin assumes no responsibility for errors that may occur in the transmission of entrant?s entry. iSkin is not responsible for any fraud or misconduct on the part of the entrants. iSkin reserves the right to terminate, modify or amend the giveaway at any time if the fairness, integrity, and or proper administration of the giveaway are jeopardized.

Data Privacy

Participants agree that personal data, especially name and address, may be processed, stored and otherwise used for the purposes and within the context of the giveaway and any other purposes outlined in these Official Rules. The data may also be used by the iSkin in order to check participants? identity, their postal address and telephone number, or to otherwise verify their eligibility to participate in the giveaway and to receive any prize.

Entire Agreement

These terms set forth the entire agreement between the parties relating to the subject matter hereof, and supersede all prior agreements and understandings relating thereto, whether oral or written.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18

By "next iPhone 5", what's that supposed to mean? An iPhone 5 post 5S launch? Or the 5S?

• Reply 2 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

By "next iPhone 5", what's that supposed to mean? An iPhone 5 post 5S launch? Or the 5S?

I take it to mean the newest flagship deivce. I think they are being ambiguous since the naming isn't official at this point. The article/ad does specifically state the latest flagship device so I doubt it would be a 5 or 5c.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    It's now official: AI has officially morphed into iLounge.
    First 3rd party accessory reviews now this.
    Dreadful.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    poochpooch Posts: 768member

i think it means the next iphone 5 off the assembly line. they pick a name and whichever is the next iphone 5 to be assembled after the picking of the name gets that phone and a case (subject to availability). why not? makes about as much sense as ai these days.

all that, and it's a "FEATURE"!
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 View Post

I take it to mean the newest flagship deivce. I think they are being ambiguous since the naming isn't official at this point. The article/ad does specifically state the latest flagship device so I doubt it would be a 5 or 5c.

That's AI, not the rules. What AI says is meaningless. The rules say "next iPhone 5", so that could legally mean an iPhone 5 instead of a 5S. I'd much rather it not said what it says. This is quite disingenuous.

• Reply 6 of 18
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    That's AI, not the rules. What AI says is meaningless. The rules say "next iPhone 5", so that could legally mean an iPhone 5 instead of a 5S. I'd much rather it not said what it says. This is quite disingenuous.

It's clear enough to people who aren't nit-picking.

IF they meant the current iPhone 5, why would they say 'next'? Are they going to give you the very next one off the Foxconn assembly line? I don't think so.

Clearly, they're talking about the phone that will be released next. The only question is whether they mean the phone that people are calling the 5S or the phone that people are calling the 5C (if either of those actually exists). And, frankly, if they want to give me a phone, I don't care if it's a 5S or a 5C.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's clear enough to people who aren't nit-picking.

So any lawyer.

IF they meant the current iPhone 5, why would they say 'next'? Are they going to give you the very next one off the Foxconn assembly line? I don't think so.

You might not, but you know about legal proceedings. When it's that ambiguous, can't a lot be gotten away with?

• Reply 8 of 18
    The announcement of the contest or give-away was poorly written. I don't think anyone is trying to nit-pick, but an ambiguous statement deserves to be raked over the coals.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    So any lawyer.

You might not, but you know about legal proceedings. When it's that ambiguous, can't a lot be gotten away with?

Are you going to enter? Would you enter if it was the 5S and not 5? If no to any of the questions- then you're nitpicking just for the sake of nitpicking
  • Reply 10 of 18
    OK, I just entered the contest, but to do so you have to join the iSkin mailing list. That little gem was hidden.

So let's see I entered a contest for an iPhone 5 (something)that I won't win and I'll be getting even more e-mail that I don't want.

As contests go, this one is poorly run.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    jackzig wrote: »
    OK, I just entered the contest, but to do so you have to join the iSkin mailing list. That little gem was hidden.

So let's see I entered a contest for an iPhone 5 (something)that I won't win and I'll be getting even more e-mail that I don't want.

Or you were born yesterday?
  • Reply 12 of 18
    So a contest to win a single iphone is worth a post on AI ?? Geez guy's!
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Would you enter if it was the 5S and not 5?

I refuse to enter any contest that doesn't lay out its terms properly! Why would you? How are we to know what this device really is? How do you know you're not going to be scammed by legalese? "The next iPhone 5", in the legal terms, does not in any way imply that you're going to get an iPhone 5S. If it said "the 7th generation iPhone", that would be unquestionably the next version–what we call the iPhone 5S. But the only words in the legal bit that can be admitted in court or as proof of offer are "iPhone 5". "Next" is legally ambiguous.

If no to any of the questions- then you're nitpicking just for the sake of nitpicking 

No, if you're intelligent you'll do the same. Don't pretend otherwise. Would you sign up to win a "free car" if the dealership doesn't specify what kind of car?

• Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

It's now official: AI has officially morphed into iLounge.

First 3rd party accessory reviews now this.

Dreadful.

So, consistent with your indignation, I assume you did not register?

• Reply 15 of 18

Entered.

(part of the "downloading now!" category.)     ;)

• Reply 16 of 18
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    jackzig wrote: »

No more than 99.7% of other online contests. In fact, by simply requiring your name and email address, they're less intrusive than the overwhelming majority.

How many online contests have you entered that DIDN'T ask for your email or add you to their mailing list?
  • Reply 17 of 18
    So, consistent with your indignation, I assume you did not register?

Correct- I am here to read Apple Insider information and participate in discussions, not enter spam inducing, product-baiting contests nor read advertisements.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Originally Posted by jackzig View Post

You're giving someone your e-mail address and you're surprised and indignant when you realize they now have the ability to send you e-mail? 

What's wrong with this picture.

…an iPhone 5 (something)that I won't win…

So why were you dumb enough to enter?

…and I'll be getting even more e-mail that I don't want.

It's called the unsubscribe button, legally required on all e-mail of this nature, and usable with a single click.

So… identically to every other contest ever.