iPhone, iPad, iPod among top four mobile devices, driving 39% of ad impressions

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch are three of the top four mobile devices in use worldwide, accounting for nearly 40 percent of all mobile ad impressions, according to new figures out from Millennial Media.

The mobile advertising and data platform's Q2 Mobile Mix device index ranks the iPhone as the single most popular mobile device brand on the planet for the past quarter, responsible itself for 22.5 percent of all mobile ad impressions. In the number three and four spots are the iPad and the iPod touch, responsible for 9.38 and 7.6 percent of impressions, respectively.

All together, the three devices give Apple a commanding lead in terms of mobile ad impression share, with 39.32 percent of all impressions measured by Millennial going through an Apple device. The nearest competing manufacturer was Apple's chief rival, Samsung, with 26.13 percent share. No other manufacturer broke into double-digit share.

Millennial's figures showed that certain trends in the mobile device market continue apace, such as the growing importance of tablets. Whereas Millennial's Q2 2012 look at the market found tablets with a 19 percent share of impressions, devices like the iPad made up 25 percent of impressions in 2013. Feature phones continued to drop in share, falling from seven percent last year to five percent this year.

Notably, Millennial's look at the tablet segment illustrated the peculiar situation Google's Android platform is currently in. Thirty-seven percent of Android tablet sales, according to Millennial, went to Samsung's Galaxy Tab line. Another 28 percent went to Amazon's Kindle Fire line, which runs a forked version of Android that removes Google's services in favor of Amazon's. The Google-backed Nexus 7 accounted for only seven percent of impressions.

Android and iOS continued to squeeze out other mobile operating systems, as well. Android grew from 46 percent in Q2 2012 to 51 percent of impressions in 2013. Over the same period, Apple grew its share from 34 to 42 percent. These gains came at the expense of smaller platforms, with BlackBerry OS dropping more than half its share over the period, while Windows and Symbian virtually disappeared.

The report also found little change in the things device users were using their phones and tablets for. The top three apps, in order, remained games, music and entertainment, and communications. Text messaging was the most popular communication method, followed by video chatting, and instant messaging.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25

iPhone: 22%

Galaxy: 9%

"But but but but… that's because Android can have AdBlock!"

• Reply 2 of 25

the top 20 add up to 71.54%

the rest have each less than 0.5%

and we are missing 28.46%

how many hundreds or thousands of devices?

28.46% is a big percentage for devices that have a tiny fraction of 1% each

the 3 iOS entries in the top-20 add up to 39.23% yet apple is listed with 39.32%

where do the remaining 0.09% come from?

the top 15 manufacturers at least add up to 94%

but 6% for the rest each of which has less than 0.4% is also dubious.

it looks like its based on someone testing this site with all possible devices and a really small data set.

and possibly doing on-the-fly analysis where the dataset still changes while creating reports.

• Reply 3 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, it's because they all change their user agent.

• Reply 4 of 25
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

This is one of those areas in which it doesn't bother me in the slightest that Android isn't at the top of the list.

• Reply 5 of 25
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Or... can it?

http://www.seroundtable.com/google-adblock-plus-pay-off-17039.html

Good old "open" Google :)

• Reply 6 of 25
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Forty percent, eh? That's 2 out of five, 4 out of ten, just to get the value to sinc in for me. All the reason that Apple needs do on search what it can to drive as little of the eyeballs, aka revenue to Goolies. I believe the great search engine's drive with its basturd child was to prevent Apple from dominating mobile and to protect its resource black hole. Sort of backfired on them, eh, Apple the great eyeballer and finger licking user of data that draws in the loot.

No resentment on G's part as all is fair in love and war. So, charge on Siri and what ever else Apple can spring from its own bag of tricks. Where Goolies gets kicked has got to hurt and possibly send a message to the great pretenders that friends don't stab friends in the back.

Now I guess I should read the article. 8-)
  • Reply 7 of 25
    65c81665c816 Posts: 136member
    Wait. Aren't Android apps mostly ad driven apps? Are they not using their add driven apps??!
  • Reply 8 of 25
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mhikl wrote: »
    Forty percent, eh? That's 2 out of five, 4 out of ten, just to get the value to sinc in for me.

It's also 16 out of 40, 36 out of 90; 88 out of 220, and 440 out of 1100. :smokey:
  • Reply 9 of 25
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

They don't say which iPhone so one can only assume that they mean all 3 iterations vs the SGS 4, looking at it that way makes 9% pretty impressive.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

They don't say which iPhone so one can only assume that they mean all 3 iterations vs the SGS 4, looking at it that way makes 9% pretty impressive.

NOPE. TRY IT AGAIN. It says "Samsung Galaxy S". Keep pretending that can ONLY mean "one model". Go ahead. Try it.

• Reply 11 of 25
    NOPE. TRY IT AGAIN. It says "Samsung Galaxy S". Keep pretending that can ONLY mean "one model". Go ahead. Try it.

You're quite right, I did misread it, apologies, but I'm still impressed that their number is that high in a sea of Android phones.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:

Quote:

To be fair, it looks like Samsung Galaxy S appears twice on that list. Emphasis on "appears" because that image is rather poor.

• Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

You're quite right, I did misread it, apologies, but I'm still impressed that their number is that high in a sea of Android phones.

No surprise, though, right? After all, Samsung has been killing other Android brands for 2 years now.

• Reply 14 of 25
    No surprise, though, right? After all, Samsung has been killing other Android brands for 2 years now.

Much to my dismay, I was actually rooting for Motorola until Google bought them.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Number 10 looks distinctly like a 5, while 2 looks like an S. It's weird. 

• Reply 16 of 25
    Number 10 looks distinctly like a 5, while 2 looks like an S. It's weird. 

My thoughts exactly, and it's especially weird since there currently isn't a SGS 5.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

To be fair, it looks like Samsung Galaxy S appears twice on that list. Emphasis on "appears" because that image is rather poor.

They are different.  The #2 spot is the Samsung Galaxy S and the #10 spot is the Samsung Galaxy 5.  Here's a better pic.

• Reply 18 of 25
    droidftw wrote: »

That's been established, but there is no Samsung Galaxy 5 that we know of yet. That potential device is at least 9 months away.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:

That's been established, but there is no Samsung Galaxy 5 that we know of yet. That potential device is at least 9 months away.

Obviously the Samsung Galaxy S5 isn't out yet, but that would get lumped into the Samsung Galaxy S spot with the S3 and S4 anyways.  I assume they're referring to this phone that's been out for 3 years now?

http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/mobile-phone/mobile-phone/smartphone/GT-I5503YKTTEL

• Reply 20 of 25
    But... but... but Google is activating millions of Android devices daily and there are more than one billion active Android devices in service. So, why do iOS devices have most of the ad impressions? I mean, Apple is losing global market share like there's no tomorrow and most analysts figure that Apple will soon be put out of business by fully featured $50 Android smartphones and $150 plastic Android tablets. iPhones with only 4" displays almost guarantees Apple is finished in the smartphone industry. Wall Street believes that Android OS is an unstoppable force that dominates the mobile industry by sheer numbers of users. iOS having major ad impressions must be just a flash in the pan or a last gasp effort to keep Apple hoping for survival amidst a flood of Android devices. Without Steve Jobs' Reality Distortion Field the iPhone is only a shadow of its former self.

/s