First customers already in line for new iPhones Apple has yet to announce

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The first iPhone line waiters have already staked their claim outside New York's iconic Fifth Ave Apple Store, camping in front of the shop's jumbo glass gemstone a full four days before the company will formally acknowledge the new products exist.

iPhone Line
Joe and Brian of Brooklyn, NY were first to queue up Thursday evening for Apple's next iPhone.

As of Friday afternoon, a total of four people could be seen waiting in line for Apple's evolution in mobile computing, even though the company has yet to officially announce some basic, yet semi-critical details such as how much the device will cost and precisely when you'll be able to walk out of a store with one.

Die-hards Joe and Brian -- both local New Yorkers from Brooklyn -- are currently first in line. They told AppleInsider they checked the weather report before rolling up Thursday night and pitched their camping chairs, preparing for the long haul.

Both were adamant that they had no plans to skirt unspoken line-waiter law and therefore wouldn't be taking turns holding down their fort or deviating from their spot -- except when nature calls, that is.

iPhone Line
Justin and John will sacrifice their hygiene indefinitely to help promote employer SellYourMac.

When asked what they plan to do if Apple doesn't release the devices to consumers until Sept. 20th -- a full two weeks away -- Joe and Brian simply shrugged their shoulders and said: "We'll wait!"

The same was case two chairs down, where Justin and John of Cincinnati's SellYourMac.com -- clearly on a promotional assignment -- sat flanking a stack of knapsacks, sleeping bags and bare essentials.

Like Joe and Brian, both appeared to be relishing the onset of the line-waiter experience and were in the process of concocting a plan that would hopefully keep them connected before their initial charges ran dry.

iPhone Line

Apple is scheduled to hold a media event next Tuesday, at which the company is widely expected to unveil both a flagship "iPhone 5S," as well as a lower priced "iPhone 5C" model. Rumors point to a Sept. 20 rollout, as major U.S. cellular carriers issued blackout periods for employees on and around that date.

Lending further credence to the release estimate, AppleInsider reported in August that Apple support personnel have also been restricted from taking vacations from Sept. 15 through 28.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55

I love it! 

Er, sorry... Apple is doomed LOL 

• Reply 2 of 55
    Blimey!
    If they could bottle it, some chemical company would make a killing.

If you read Paul Jenkins, you will get it.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    Has this ever happened before? I know that people camping outside apple stores is standard by now. But 2 weeks in advance?
  • Reply 4 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunkzombie View Post

Has this ever happened before? I know that people camping outside apple stores is standard by now. But 2 weeks in advance?

That depends on release date. If the 10th, then only 4 days. 

• Reply 5 of 55
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Would have been great had Apple managed to acquire some of that vacant land across the intersection on which to build the store. It's a beautiful spot and would form a spectacular backdrop to these images, rather than the dull brown and off-white colours evident currently. (Okay, I'll say outright, 'tongue-in-cheek.)

• Reply 6 of 55
    Idiots. Order it online from the comfort of your own home and get it faster.
  • Reply 7 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

There is no fun in that.

… But, gathering with like minded folks is not a bad thing.

What is bad in having fun?

• Reply 8 of 55
    That depends on release date. If the 10th, then only 4 days. 

I know, but I don't think that they'll announce the product and start selling it on the same day.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    That would be awesome if they did.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

I know right? Why go to a concern when you can listen to the artist on CD from the comfort of your own home?

• Reply 10 of 55

It sounds like fun but don't these people have jobs?!?

• Reply 12 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

There is no fun in that.

… But, gathering with like minded folks is not a bad thing.

What is bad in having fun?

I had fun waiting in line this morning at a non-Apple-owned Apple store. First 50 people got some swag. The store even furnished free donuts and drinks for the waiting line. Now camping out for several days is a whole different level of "fun."

Meanwhile:

Android 4.3 was released to Nexus devices a little over a month ago, but, as is usual with Android updates, it's taking much longer to roll out the general public. Right now, a little over six percent of Android users have the latest version. And if you pay attention to the various Android forums out there, you may have noticed something: no one cares.

• Reply 13 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I had fun waiting in line this morning at a non-Apple-owned Apple store. First 50 people got some swag. The store even furnished free donuts and drinks for the waiting line. Now camping out for several days is a whole different level of "fun."

Meanwhile:
    Android 4.3 was released to Nexus devices a little over a month ago, but, as is usual with Android updates, it's taking much longer to roll out the general public. Right now, a little over six percent of Android users have the latest version. And if you pay attention to the various Android forums out there, you may have noticed something: no one cares.

I think a lot of them are waiting for Mars Bar to update. ;)
  • Reply 14 of 55
    Didn't they already say, the not-possible-day-offs for employees was the 20th?
  • Reply 15 of 55
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    I waited in line for both the iPhone 4S and 5 on release day - great fun. Meanwhile my smug friends who'd ordered online had to wait weeks before their product arrived..

:D

I'd be amazed if the new iPhone was available on release day. I'm certain it will be Friday 20th...
  • Reply 16 of 55

How do they get around doing the basic personal hygine stuff camping like that for days..

Like shower, brush etc.. :) Enlighten me !

• Reply 17 of 55
    connieconnie Posts: 101member
    Yes. They work for sellyourmac.com
  • Reply 18 of 55
    nikilok wrote: »
    How do they get around doing the basic personal hygine stuff camping like that for days..
    Like shower, brush etc.. :) Enlighten me !

Simple: Mouthwash, aftershave, underarm deoderant, and a good spray down with Fabreeze.It also helps to turn your shirt inside-out every other day.
  • Reply 19 of 55

No. They are part of a fraud empire that's rampant throughout Brooklyn and notorious for stealing Verizon and AT&T customer info and taking it to the Apple Store to add 2 lines or more to "their" account. They pay for the phones in cash then unlock them and sell them for full retail price making a nice $450 profit for themselves. The 5S is more important to them than anyone else. This is their job. You will probably hear more about this in the future. And there you have it.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I'm a fanboy but this behaviour is rather OTT - maybe its an age thing?