Version distribution of Apple's iOS remains stable ahead of iOS 7 launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Ahead of an expected Golden Master release of iOS 7, version distribution of Apple's iOS mobile operating system is holding steady from June, with the current iOS 6 on a majority of iPhones and iPads.

Chitika
Source: Chitika Insights

According to new statistics from ad network Chitika, Apple's latest iOS 6 is now running on 92 percent of iPhones and 82 percent of iPads in North America, with the previous generation iOS 5 coming in a distant second with 5 percent and 13 percent, respectively.

To gather the information, Chitika Insights analyzed "tens of millions" of iOS-based ad impressions within the North American Chitika Ad Network from August 15 through August 21.

The numbers are slightly down from an identical study performed in June, though the drop can be chalked up at least in part to devices running beta versions of the forthcoming iOS 7. For the iPhone, iOS 7 comprised about 1 percent of traffic, while the OS accounted for less than 1 percent of traffic generated by iPads.

Chitika

As noted in the company's prior report, the disparity in iOS 6 adoption between iPhone and iPad users could be due to the operating system's feature set, which introduced a host of mobile-minded functions like FaceTime over cellular and enhanced GPS capabilities. Chitika points to analyst estimates that a bulk of tablets are exclusively used on Wi-Fi networks, making the cellular-enabled advancements in iOS 6 a non-issue for many iPad owners.

With Apple shipping its anticipated next-gen iPhones with iOS 7 pre-installed, as well as releasing the OS to iPhone 4, 4S and 5 owners at the same time, version distribution is expected to change significantly in the coming weeks. Much the same occurred with last year's launch of iOS 6.

Apple is widely expected to announce a next-generation "iPhone 5S" and lower cost "iPhone 5C" at a special event tomorrow. If convention holds, the company will also reveal a launch dates for the handsets and iOS 7. AppleInsider will be covering the event live from 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern on Tuesday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19

First-gen products for life!

Theirs, that is. And then I buy a new first-gen product. My iPad should last me until Apple makes a 15".

• Reply 2 of 19

With the exception of the original iMac G5, I've never really had any issues with Apple's Rev A products and I've own a few. IMO, all of Apple products equally have issues of some sort. 

• Reply 3 of 19
    Will iOS 7 be available for download tomorrow or will it be officially distributed when the iPhones start to sell?
    That is the discussion me and my friends are having.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... the disparity in iOS 6 adoption between iPhone and iPad users could be due to the operating system's feature set, which introduced a host of mobile-minded functions like FaceTime over cellular and enhanced GPS capabilities. ... a (sic) bulk of tablets are exclusively used on Wi-Fi networks, making the cellular-enabled advancements in iOS 6 a non-issue for many iPad owners …

This would seem to be a faulty analysis in that it seems based on the widely disproven notion that people actively upgrade based on a rational, analytical analysis of the feature sets of this or that OS.  

It seems more likely to me that a greater proportion of older, less capable and more tech wary users are using iPads versus iPhones who are scared to upgrade or don't know how.  My personal observations and experience would certainly bear this out.  

• Reply 5 of 19
    Originally Posted by Drunkzombie View Post

Will iOS 7 be available for download tomorrow or will it be officially distributed when the iPhones start to sell?

Between tomorrow and 7th iPhone launch for existing devices. Won't be tomorrow; the GM has to be released to devs first.

• Reply 6 of 19
    That, and/or a greater proportion of the 1st gen iPads which cannot be upgraded to iOS 6.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chemeddy View Post

That, and/or a greater proportion of the 1st gen iPads which cannot be upgraded to iOS 6.

Exactly!

• Reply 8 of 19
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Asking that question on a rumor site, less than 24 hours before an Apple event, is crazy. Either you have had one too many drinks already OR you need a drink real bad!

• Reply 9 of 19
    realistic wrote: »
    Asking that question on a rumor site, less than 24 hours before an Apple event, is crazy. Either you have had one too many drinks already OR you need a drink real bad!

I'm not sure what you mean by crazy.
    So far I was sure that the new iOS would be available when the new phone is actually for sale, but since a couple of friends were saying that it is going to be out tomorrow, I thought of asking here
  • Reply 10 of 19
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

There is a good chance iOS 7 GM will be released to developers tomorrow and to the public when the new iPhone comes out. The last few years showed that the GM is the same build as the one released to the public.

• Reply 11 of 19
    I'm not sure what you mean by crazy.
    So far I was sure that the new iOS would be available when the new phone is actually for sale, but since a couple of friends were saying that it is going to be out tomorrow, I thought of asking here

Tomorrow Apple will announce that the new iPhones AND iOS7 will begin to ship on Sept 20th. The new iPhones will be shown tomorrow running iOS7.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Hwat! No graph of the distribution of iOS among the iPod Touches???

What does this forebode??
  • Reply 13 of 19

I just watched the last keynote, again. That OSX guy was just awesome and OS itself looks just like what the Mac needs. Looks like a great and awesome update.

Still....

They should use iOS7-like theme on OSX.

• Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

There is a good chance iOS 7 GM will be released to developers tomorrow and to the public when the new iPhone comes out. The last few years showed that the GM is the same build as the one released to the public.

If memory serves, based on last year the iOS 7 GM will be released to devs immediately following the announcement, the new Phones will be available to preorder (if they do pre order, they don't always) this Friday (13th! hope nobody at Apple is too superstitious) and available to buy in the shops the following Friday (20th). I would expect iOS 7 to be released for everyone else (assuming the rumours of delays for the iPad release aren't true) some time in between - probably next Tuesday a week after GM - as I'm pretty certain I had iOS 6 running on my iPhone 4 for a good few days before I got my iPhone 5.

Edit: Just checked the dates for last year and the iPhone 5 announcement / iOS6 GM were 12th September, iPhone 5 preorders started on 14th September, iOS 6 released for older devices on 19th September, iPhone 5 in shops 21st September so I'd expect a similar schedule this year...

• Reply 15 of 19
    Last year ios6 was released before the iPhone 5, not by much but it was. I expect the same this year. My guess Tuesday 17.9.13.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Anybody know whether Safari for iOS 7 will enable full screen on the iPad?

Thanks.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I am curious to see if the GM finally removed the leather stitching still found on Find Friends or if that is being left as a tribute to he who shall not be named! :)
  • Reply 18 of 19
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Find My Friends is an App from the App Store, so won't be updated with the OS.  Presumably it'll be updated at some point soon and available for update,  but I can't imagine Apple see it as a major priority given everything else they're up against.

• Reply 19 of 19
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

They've kept the fauz leather in the promo shots for the app on the phone pages:

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5c/built-in-apps/

Seems like they're not that bothered about it for now.