Photo of alleged 'iPhone 5S' user guide reveals 'Touch ID sensor' home button

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Just hours before Apple is expected to unveil a next-generation iPhone at a special media event in California, an image has surfaced claiming to show an "iPhone 5S" quick start guide that makes refers to the handset's "Home Button/Touch ID sensor" button.

iPhone 5S Guide
Click for larger, uncropped view. | Source: Nowhereelse.fr

The photo, posted by Nowhereelse.fr, shows what appears to be a user's guide or quick start card for an "iPhone 5S," with text pointing out important features including a "Home Button/Touch ID sensor" button.

As AppleInsider cannot confirm the veracity of the photo's contents, the following for purposes of discussion only.

It is unclear if the purported image shows a quick start card, as seen in a previous iPhone 5C "leak," or a page from a full-color pamphlet. What is clear, however, is text describing a "Touch ID sensor," which presumably refers to a fingerprint sensor many believe will be built into the handset's home button.

It should be noted that the parts references are somewhat of a departure from Apple's usual "Volume Up/Down" and "Ring/Silent" naming conventions seen on the latest iPhone Quick Start Guide, though some of the terminology appears in current iPod and iPad manuals.

On Monday, a Wall Street Journal report seemingly confirmed Apple's foray into biometric security, noting that the high-end iPhone 5S would be the first to sport the feature.

Rumors regarding an iPhone with fingerprint authentication capabilities have intensified in the past week, including recent rumblings of a "silver ring" that encircles the home button. Guesses as to the purported ring's function have ranged from mere aesthetics to a functional piece of Apple's fingerprint sensing solution.

While embedded fingerprint sensors are not new to the portable electronics industry, major tech companies have yet to find a way to make the system appealing to consumers. Early attempts were cumbersome and inaccurate, sometimes requiring multiple swipes to achieve a suitable reading.

The technology Apple is thought to be using is more mature than conventional methods and comes from its 2012 acquisition of biometric security firm AuthenTec. Unlike older swipe-to-scan systems, Apple's version is likely static, meaning a user would merely place their finger on the sensor/home button as they would when waking the phone from sleep.

Apple invited media outlets to a special event scheduled to take place at the company's Cupertino headquarters on Tuesday, at which many expect a next-generation iPhone 5S and lower cost iPhone 5C to be unveiled. Also anticipated is an official release date for the next-generation iOS 7 mobile operating system. AppleInsider will covering the proceedings live starting at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    Is there anything we don't know about the new iPhone? What I see is a bunch of hardware information but less about the deep integration solutions. The Apple USP is the integration, not just a piece of hardware.
  • Reply 2 of 81
    Touch ID? Terrible name. Very un-Apple-like.
  • Reply 3 of 81
    Yawn ! This is getting boring now. I wonder how come no one leaked a video of how this finger print actually works.
    I mean there were video's showing people surfing on the 5C, but not 5S ?
    How come, the 5S is under higher security or something ?
  • Reply 4 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Do you have a better suggestion? FingerPass?

• Reply 5 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

How about branding the technology under the name "Touch Secure" ?

• Reply 6 of 81
    Nowhereelse.fr is starting to piss me off. They're either paying for leaks or they're photoshopping lies. Guess we'll know which soon enough.
  • Reply 7 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Yes, sweet!

• Reply 8 of 81
    So no icon on the home button if true.
  • Reply 9 of 81
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Just noticed the event invitation has a few silver (well, gray) rings amidst the filled colored dots. Sounds like the fingerprint-ID home button will indeed have a unique look.

Will the 5S keep the square icon inside the button? In a sense the single square never made sense: you don't press it to enter ONE app, you press it to get to ALL your apps. A grid would have made more sense (like the Launchpad grid icon on Mac keyboards). And it's cleaner without any symbol, now that there's another marking (the ring) to visually mark the button.

But that square's a tradition!
  • Reply 10 of 81
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    scotty321 wrote: »

Yes, Touch ID. No, it isn't a terrible name. It's very Apple-like, because it's short, simple, plain and descriptive of what it does and is.

Unless you can come up with something better, it's you who are out of whack.
  • Reply 11 of 81

un apple because it is short???  iphone, ipad, iPod, mac pro, safari, quicktime, aperture, logic pro, mail, app store, finder.  

they have a tonne of small names that were apple before the iphone.

• Reply 12 of 81
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    nikilok wrote: »
    How about branding the technology under the name "Touch Secure" ?

Why don't you just send that over to scotty321 for his approval.

Seriously, don't you dare put that obscene word "security" anywhere near even a hypothetical Apple brand name. You really don't have time to be bored, so much to learn.
  • Reply 13 of 81
    Nowhereelse.fr is starting to piss me off. They're either paying for leaks or they're photoshopping lies. Guess we'll know which soon enough.

Here is a theory.
    Nothing at Factories making Apple devices get leaked unless Apple wants it to. I think if they want to maintain secrecy they can. Apple wanted these leaks to happen.
  • Reply 14 of 81
    How about "iD"? :D
  • Reply 15 of 81
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

I think it's clever. "Fingerprint" sounds too much like privacy invasion.

• Reply 16 of 81
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Just noticed the event invitation has a few silver (well, gray) rings amidst the filled colored dots. 

Well, duh!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Will the 5S keep the square icon inside the button? In a sense the single square never made sense: you don't press it to enter ONE app, you press it to get to ALL your apps. A grid would have made more sense (like the Launchpad grid icon on Mac keyboards). And it's cleaner without any symbol, now that there's another marking (the ring) to visually mark the button.

Note also how the new larger circle inside many of the redesigned first party app icons starts to make more sense.

• Reply 17 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

In any case, Samsung is probably pissing their pants. They'll copy Apple's implementation for sure. I want to believe its real anyways.

• Reply 18 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Will the 5S keep the square icon inside the button? ...

Probably not, wouldn't it block the scan?

• Reply 19 of 81
    dunks wrote: »

Hm. Interesting observation. I would not count Safari as it is just round like clock. But iTunes and App Store would require authentication. Therefore. Makes a lot of sense to me.
    Why Siri? Maybe because it gets activated through the button (weak I know).
    Also from this logic you can deduce that it will not be around an "iWallet" since passbook does not have that ring. Which doesn't make sense to me either since they seemingly don't include the tech in the 5C hence cutting off a large portion of potential users.
  • Reply 20 of 81
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Mmmm...

Apple introduces finger-technology, just as Android introduces broken fingers...