Photo of alleged 'iPhone 5S' user guide reveals 'Touch ID sensor' home button

Comments

• Reply 41 of 81
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I think Touch ID is a good name. I wonder if they will integrate it with parental controls, so that, e.g. the parent's thumbprint is needed for a kid to make an in-app purchase?

• Reply 42 of 81
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Fake.

Unless Apple is departing from the usual black and white quick start guides of the last six iPhones.

• Reply 43 of 81
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Yes, sweet!

Nah, then you'd have people talk about "fingering" their iPhones.

• Reply 44 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jordon Eagan View Post

Instead of "Touch ID" how about something a little more imposing sounding ...like "Falangial Authentification and Registration Terminus" ... or F. A. R. T. for short? ... come to think of it, maybe "Touch ID" ain't so bad after all!

Phalangial?

• Reply 45 of 81
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    How about TouchKey, to link it with Keychain?
  • Reply 46 of 81
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    scotty321 wrote: »
    Touch ID? Terrible name. Very un-Apple-like.

If it's used for anything from unlocking the phone to buying apps it may prove a decent name. We don't know what's planned for this sensor, or if it'll start to make its way across other Mac products and not just iDevices. It's definitely an unexpected name, but I'd be hesitant in calling it terrible at this point. Just look at Wii and iPad. Both initially lambasted, both genius.
  • Reply 47 of 81
    So no icon on the home button if true.

Which would make sense considering it is now performing two completely different functions.
  • Reply 48 of 81
    overlord wrote: »
    iPass
    iTouch
    iToucnPass
    iFinger (ops!)
    iSilverHole
    None of these make as much sense as "TouchID" to me.

What does it do? It identifies the user to the phone or to services the phone is connected to.
    How does it do it? You touch it. In the circle.

It might be 20-20 hindsight, but both the name and the removal of the roundedrect icon makes total sense IMO.
  • Reply 49 of 81
    nagromme wrote: »
    Just noticed the event invitation has a few silver (well, gray) rings amidst the filled colored dots.

Well spotted.
  • Reply 50 of 81
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Aint this the first time we see a pic with 5 S?

• Reply 51 of 81
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

That silver band is the KeyRing.

I expect a cheque in the mail.

• Reply 52 of 81
    Everything. Tell us what we "know". How much RAM? What processor? How about the cameras? Maybe the size and weight. How about other hardware and software features? What telephony chip is it using? ...
    You always say this because yes, we don't know the specific specs of the phone.

But for most folks, knowing what it looks like, what each part that goes into it looks like, having high resolution photos of same to pour over, knowing what the packaging looks like, what the marketing materials and how to's look like, along with detailed inside information of the new OS it will run, complete with video walk throughs of every feature is indeed "Knowing everything about the new iPhone."

As everyone says nowadays, specs are irrelevant relative to the actual experience of using the device which we also know just from past history will be both good, and faster/smoother than current models. It's just silly to argue that we don't in fact know pretty much everything there is to know about this new phone.

That's not to say there isn't some missing information and possibly a surprise or two, but clearly they will be minor. Just like last year.
  • Reply 53 of 81
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Wow the stock is selling off already...I imagine by the end of the day the stock will be down 3-5%. No matter what they announce, even if its what everyone expected the stock will tank.
  • Reply 54 of 81
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Fake.

Unless Apple is departing from the usual black and white quick start guides of the last six iPhones.

Huh?

http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1599/en_US/iphone_4s_finger_tips_guide.pdf
  • Reply 55 of 81
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

But for most folks, knowing what it looks like, what each part that goes into it looks like, having high resolution photos of same to pour over, knowing what the packaging looks like, what the marketing materials and how to's look like, along with detailed inside information of the new OS it will run, complete with video walk throughs of every feature is indeed "Knowing everything about the new iPhone."

So from what it looks like they determine what they can do with it? What software it runs, what features it has?

As everyone says nowadays, specs are irrelevant relative to the actual experience of using the device

Right. You can have the best specs in the world, but if there's no software installed all you'll get is an Apple logo that comes up really quickly and stays up until the battery dies.

• Reply 56 of 81
    Finger-Pass is a great name for it. And iFinger too!

"Hello User, what seems to be the problem?"
    "Hi Genius, my phone keeps asking me to Finger-Pass myself in to my iPhone"
    "You need to increase the intervals between times when you need to Finger-Pass yourself in to your device"
    "Great, I'll go and wash my finger"

"Hello User, what seems to be the problem?"
    "Hi Genius, my phone keeps asking me to iFinger myself in to my iPhone"
    "You need to increase the intervals between times when you need to iFinger yourself in to your device"
    "Great, I'll go and wash my iFinger"
    The champagne iPhone will be "Goldfinger," Apple bought the rights to it from Ian Fleming, they also bought "Pussy Galore. " I believe "Pussies Galore" will be used in marketing towards all other phones!
  • Reply 57 of 81
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

KeyRing.

Ooh... now that is a good name.

• Reply 58 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Touch ID? Terrible name. Very un-Apple-like.

Should be some sort of completely unrelated weather term.  Maybe cumulus or hail 

• Reply 59 of 81
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    vl-tone wrote: »
    Do you have a better suggestion? FingerPass?

Finglet.
  • Reply 60 of 81
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Wow the stock is selling off already...I imagine by the end of the day the stock will be down 3-5%. No matter what they announce, even if its what everyone expected the stock will tank.

If too many people think we are going to sell on the news then its going to sell ahead of it. I dont think we rally too much into the event so the sell the news could be limited.

If we would had rally up to 520+ into the event I would be worry more, but the sotck stalled around $500 because of the sell the news fers imo.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with selling a bit of stocks into the event.