Awesome Earbuds

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
In lieu of the extremely oversized earbuds that Apple ships with the iPod, I had to bet some different ones. After months of looking (literally), I finally bought what I believed to be the best pair out there. They are Sony MDR-EX70LP Fontopia headphones. They rock. The sound is as good if not better than Apple's earbuds and they fit in my ears, since they are the kind that go into ear.

I bought mine for $40 from etronics.com. Just thought I'd mention them for anyone looking.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I got a pair of sony's too. I'm not sure of the model, but they're a good fit. Any time now, the audiophiles and snobs will come in here saying how these headphones suck and for only $100 more we can get some [insert unpronouncable name here] headphones that sound SOOOO much better.

But for those of us who can't tell, the sony's are good
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Personally, I've never been able to use earbud style headphones. I've tried a lot, and they just never stayed in my ears. Maybe I have abnormal ears... but B&O makes a pair don't rely on shoving the things into your ear, rather they clip around your ear.

They're fully adjustable, and they sound exceptional for consumer headphones. I got a pair for my girlfriend for her birthday... they go for about $80 on ebay.

Personally, I use a pair of Sony MDR-7506 Studio Monitor headphones. These things are like staples to AV professionals, and they're really not expensive. They can be found online for about $100 depending on where you look. They've got the most accurate reproduction of sound imho.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    idudeidude Posts: 352member
    I'm not a huge fan of earbuds my self, but I don't want to have to carry around 5 lb headphones when I can carry <1lb ones. Big ones are OK for at home, but not when I'm jogging or something.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    OK. here goes: Most earbuds suck.

However, for less than $20, you can get great headphones. Check out the Koss KSC-35s, 50s, or 55s. They sell the 50s at Circuit City for less than $18.

They are small, and you won't find better sounding phones up until the $80 range.

I use Sony MDR-7506s at home (see the 'pics of your computer setup' thread, page 6) and Koss KSC-50s and Koss PortaPROs while out. The PortaPros are good, but they cost $50, and sound similar to the KSC-50s, which cost $16 at Circuit City.

-robo
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Well, up here in boston you can justify wearing the 7506's while out and about because it's so $#%& cold all the time Keeps my ears nice and toasty, and helps drown out the noise of the subway.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    hikohtahikohta Posts: 41member
    hey, i just wanted to inform you guys (and gals) that there are two other great choices (especially if you are a fan of sony and their distinct treble). try the earbud MDR-E888LP. the best earbud's in the world (not to mention the most expensive. there are also the MDR-V900, which are the top studio monitor headphones from sony (read: most expensive). visit etronics.com to get them for REAL cheap (i got from v900s from there, saved about $100+!!!).
  • Reply 7 of 21
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    hikohta - True, the 888s are supposed to be very good earbuds, but the V900s are CRAP. I consider this a statement of fact, not opinion.

Yes, they are more expensive than the 7506s, but if you have been around recording/broadcasting pros, you are unlikely to ever see a pair. You will see tons of 7506s, however. Sony produced some terrible headphones in the 1990s, and the V600 and V900 are among them. The V600 was supposed to replace the V6 of the 1980s, but was so inferior that due to customer outcry, Sony was forced to re-issue the V6, renamed as the 7506.

The V900s have boomy, uncontrolled bass, muffled mids, generally muddy sound. They are more expensive than the 7506s, yet their cheap plasticky construction makes them more prone to breaking. Bad news.

Sorry to rant.. i just have a serious gripe against the V600/900 series, which are sold as 'studio monitor' headphones in chain stores like BrandSmartUSA and BestBuy.

-robo
  • Reply 8 of 21
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    has anyone here used the Bose noise canceling headphones?

I really want to check those out.

I don't really like earbuds, my friend has some optimus earbuds that put out good sound, I think they cost about 40 bucks

I have a 20 dollar sony headphone set that sounds GREAT with good bass, I got it with my sony walkman which also costed 20 bucks

so for about 50 bucks(with taxes) I have a kick ass and cheap portable musc solution

I also have a REALLY nice set of Dj headphones but I don't use those with my portable

I want an iPod!!!!!!

my P.C loving friend is getting a 10 gig iPod because his creative 20 gig player sucks nuts.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    bud_dbud_d Posts: 1member
    Those Bose headphones are wonderful, if you got an apple store near you they'll have them in there, also those earbuds that stick inside your ear should be sold at the store( they are at mine).
  • Reply 10 of 21
    protodadaprotodada Posts: 125member
    hello!

personally, i was disappointed when i received my ipod with the sound quality of the headphone it came with. but i was one of those envious to see someone walking around in new york city with that infamous "ipod white headphone..." so i do use it when i walk around, until the novelty runs out, in public. yes i am superficial.... stilll young at heart..... i do make many eye contacts and smiles doing so....

anyway, at home, i use b & o headphone M3D Jack mentioned above. the sound quality is night and day compare to the original headphone. i also have sony 888 something, but i prefer b & o headphone better (but not their form 2 headphone... i never used it).

anyway, maybe someone can help me.... several years ago, i saw sony ear bud (fontopia ?) headphone in a fancy shop in south coast plaza in california. it was all silver, looked like carved out of aluminum (none of those cheap metal colored sony ones these days) and remembering it being extremely, extremely expensive. perhaps it was limited edition.... does anyone have any idea of this headphone? (side tracked there..... things like this keep me up at night...)

also, where is this "hidden game" everybody is talking about in ipod? i would love to play it... if i can locate it..... thank you for any help...

[ 04-08-2002: Message edited by: ProtoDAda ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 21
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    okay protodata, here is the link to the earbuds you asked for and they are only 80 bucks sam as b&o.<a href="http://www.sonystyle.com/electronics/ssctypg.jsp?hierc=8632x8746x8747&catid=8747"; target="_blank">web page</a>...and the game is in the settings, then go to legal, then hold center button for a frew seconds. have fun!
  • Reply 12 of 21
    protodadaprotodada Posts: 125member
    hello!

thanks ijerry... someone emailed me regarding the brick game... thank you also.... anyway, that is not the headphone i saw.... the one i saw was all stainless steel, looked as it was all carved out of one metal, very futuristic looking and didn't look plastic-y. i remember it being well over 200 some dollars.... i guess i will never see one again.... :-)
  • Reply 13 of 21
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Well I found some that are $200, hope these are them.<a href="http://www.onecall.com/PID_4439.htm"; target="_blank">web page</a>
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ProtoDAda View Post

hello!

personally, i was disappointed when i received my ipod with the sound quality of the headphone it came with. but i was one of those envious to see someone walking around in new york city with that infamous "ipod white headphone..." so i do use it when i walk around, until the novelty runs out, in public. yes i am superficial.... stilll young at heart..... i do make many eye contacts and smiles doing so....

anyway, at home, i use b & o headphone M3D Jack mentioned above. the sound quality is night and day compare to the original headphone. i also have sony 888 something, but i prefer b & o headphone better (but not their form 2 headphone... i never used it).

anyway, maybe someone can help me.... several years ago, i saw sony ear bud (fontopia ?) headphone in a fancy shop in south coast plaza in california. it was all silver, looked like carved out of aluminum (none of those cheap metal colored sony ones these days) and remembering it being extremely, extremely expensive. perhaps it was limited edition.... does anyone have any idea of this headphone? (side tracked there..... things like this keep me up at night...)

also, where is this "hidden game" everybody is talking about in ipod? i would love to play it... if i can locate it..... thank you for any help...

[ 04-08-2002: Message edited by: ProtoDAda ]</p>

WERE THE EAR BUDS Sony QUALIA MDR-EXQ1 ???
  • Reply 15 of 21
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Yes, it's true. Posting in extra large red type actually makes your message travel back in time and help out the people from five years ago.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    I enjoy my stock iPod earbuds. I have the olds ones from way back in the day when the original nano came out. They work fine for me, but by no means are they anything special. But for someone who doesn't see the point in spending >$50 on a pair of great-sounding earbuds just to listen to music, they do just fine.

However, thanks for all the advice you've been giving me, whenever my earbuds crap out, I'll be hitting Sony or Koss up. Muchas gracias (that's "many thanks" in espanol).
  • Reply 17 of 21
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    I had the EX-71SLs in white. They were actually quite good for the money, except for the crappy cord which was too flexy and "rubbery", so it caught on everything. The black ones are better. They are much better than the Apple ones, and they have assymetrical cords to go around the back of your neck which is far better.

I now use Etymotics because they block more noise for the subway. THe B&Os are pretty comfotable as well.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Hey! Hey you guys! You are not allowed to take up a conversation from five years ago as if nothing had happened!

By all means, hash out your ear bud choices, but pause for a moment, say "weird, I have the sense we are being observed by ghosts" and go from there.

That is all.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    The ghost of LoCash I presume?
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

The ghost of LoCash I presume?

Among others, both figuratively and literally.

Really, though, I just though it was funny that someone would make a suggestion for earbuds five years too late (how do you even find the thread?) and then it would just start up again like that was perfectly normal.

I mean, that is one very long pause in the conversation.