iPhone trade-in program roundup: Apple retail, Gazelle, Walmart

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2014
Just ahead of Apple's expected reveal of the new iPhone, Walmart is looking to attract iPhone trade-ins with a new program announced on Tuesday, a move that will bring the retail giant into competition with not only established services like Gazelle, but also with Apple itself.

Walmart's program joins the ranks of established and recently announced programs capitalizing on the high value retention of Apple's bestselling smartphone. In the lead up to the expected announcement of a new iPhone, even Apple has gotten into the action with its own trade-in program.

Apple

Apple's program is based out of its U.S. retail locations, with customers able to bring in functioning iPhone models for trade-in toward the purchase of a new iPhone. Apple's program is likely the most strictured any of the major offerings, as it is only accessible through an Apple retail outlet and can only result in the customer receiving a gift card that must go toward the purchase of an iPhone on contract with a carrier.

Going the Apple Store route also means that customers will likely get less for their trade-in than they could at some other locations. Shortly after news broke of the program's confirmation, reports emerged that the top trade-in value a customer could receive would be $280, though AppleInsider's attempts to confirm this figure with numerous stores was unsuccessful. Apple retail employees will not give out estimates on trade-in value without going through the actual trade-in process.

Notably, Apple's trade-in program is a one-to-one affair: customers cannot bring in multiple older phones to trade in toward the value of a new one. The program does accept older models back at least through the iPhone 3G, though that device's age likely means its trade-in value would be minimal.

Apple's trade-in program is aimed more at providing convenience for customers rather than returning top dollar for their devices. It also helps lock consumers into Apple's system by removing the option of using the trade-in value for anything but credit toward another contracted iPhone. In announcing the program, Apple took a big step onto the turf of one company in particular.

Gazelle

Gazelle has become made a name for itself online handling buybacks of iPhones, as well as Macs, iPods, and iPads. Currently, the service is taking iPhone models all the way back to the iPhone 3G, an 8GB model of which will net the seller $10 if it is in good shape. On the high end, a 64GB model of the iPhone 5 will pull in $350 ? higher than the reported maximum payout from Apple ? so long as it is in flawless condition.

Gazelle's site will give estimates on a device's worth, and the service will confirm that worth with an inspection once it has been sent to Gazelle. Thereafter, customers are not required to put any funds toward the purchase of a new iPhone. Instead, they have the option of receiving payment via an Amazon Gift Card, PayPal deposit, or a standard bank check, delivered by mail within 10 days. They also have the option of donating the value of any devices to a charitable cause.

Gazelle users also have the option of trading in multiple devices at one time. Further, the program is not limited to iPhones. Gazelle's prices on iPhones are currently locked in through October 15.
MacBook Pro MacBook ProFlawless MacBook ProGood MacBook ProBroken
Current iPhone Trade-in Payouts
iPhone 3G 16GB (AT&T or Unlocked) $12 $10 $0
iPhone 3G 8GB (AT&T or Unlocked) $12 $10 $0
iPhone 3G S 16GB (AT&T or Unlocked) $12 $10 $5
iPhone 3G S 32GB (AT&T or Unlocked) $12 $10 $5
iPhone 3G S 8GB (AT&T or Unlocked) $12 $10 $5
iPhone 4 16GB (AT&T or Unlocked) $120 $115 $50
iPhone 4 16GB (Verizon) $80 $75 $30
iPhone 4 32GB (AT&T or Unlocked) $125 $120 $50
iPhone 4 32GB (Verizon) $82 $77 $30
iPhone 4 8GB (AT&T or Unlocked) $115 $110 $50
iPhone 4 8GB (other) $55 $50 $20
iPhone 4 8GB (Sprint) $65 $60 $20
iPhone 4 8GB (T-Mobile) $70 $65 $20
iPhone 4 8GB (Verizon) $65 $60 $20
iPhone 4S 16GB (AT&T or Unlocked) $200 $190 $80
iPhone 4S 16GB (other) $140 $130 $60
iPhone 4S 16GB (Sprint) $160 $150 $70
iPhone 4S 16GB (T-Mobile) $160 $150 $70
iPhone 4S 16GB (Verizon) $170 $160 $70
iPhone 4S 32GB (AT&T or Unlocked) $205 $195 $80
iPhone 4S 32GB (other) $140 $130 $60
iPhone 4S 32GB (Sprint) $165 $155 $70
iPhone 4S 32GB (Verizon) $175 $165 $70
iPhone 4S 64GB (AT&T or Unlocked) $210 $200 $80
iPhone 4S 64GB (other) $140 $130 $60
iPhone 4S 64GB (Sprint) $170 $160 $70
iPhone 4S 64GB (Verizon) $180 $170 $70
iPhone 5 16GB (AT&T or Unlocked) $300 $290 $120
iPhone 5 16GB (other) $210 $200 $80
iPhone 5 16GB (Sprint) $210 $200 $85
iPhone 5 16GB (T-Mobile) $250 $240 $85
iPhone 5 16GB (Verizon) $300 $290 $120
iPhone 5 32GB (AT&T or Unlocked) $305 $295 $120
iPhone 5 32GB (other) $215 $205 $80
iPhone 5 32GB (Sprint) $215 $205 $85
iPhone 5 32GB (T-Mobile) $260 $250 $85
iPhone 5 32GB (Verizon) $305 $295 $120
iPhone 5 64GB (AT&T or Unlocked) $310 $300 $120
iPhone 5 64GB (other) $220 $210 $80
iPhone 5 64GB (Sprint) $220 $210 $85
iPhone 5 64GB (T-Mobile) $270 $260 $85
iPhone 5 64GB (Verizon) $310 $300 $120

Walmart

Walmart's new program is not limited to iPhones either, though those are the devices that will likely yield the highest trade-in values. Beginning September 21, iPhone and other smartphone owners can bring their devices in to any of the 3,600 Walmart Stores and 500 Sam's Clubs locations across the United States in order to get between $50 and $300 in credit.

As with Apple's program, Walmart's trade-in offer requires that a customer sign up for a new two-year contract with AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon. Customers also have the option of signing up for one of Walmart's pre-paid wireless plans.

Walmart declined to go into specifics on what customers could expect in terms of value, but reportedly an AT&T 16GB iPhone 5 in good condition would net about $300 in credit, with more value accruing as the device's internal storage increased. A 16GB Samsung Galaxy S3, however, would garner about $175 in credit.

Walmart's program is similar to Apple's in that it is trading on ease of access and simplicity: customers bring their devices into the store and walk out with a new device. The company's thousands of retail locations will likely aid its program, further crowding in on services like Gazelle.

Amazon

Online retail giant Amazon is also a major player in the iPhone and general electronics trade-in market. Amazon offers the most of any of the major players in terms of value, with a "Like New" 64GB iPhone 5 going for up to $393.25. Amazon's service, though, requires that customers receive their trade-in value in the form of an Amazon.com Gift Card.

The program accepts iPhones back through the iPhone 3G, a 16GB unit of which can net up to $50 if in "Like New" condition. Amazon, of course, will only accept functional devices with only light signs of wear. Multiple trade-ins will be accepted, but only up to a total value of $1,250. Any equipment in excess of that total must be shipped separately. Trade-in values are automatically applied to a customer's Amazon.com account.

Best Buy

Another player in the trade-in game is Best Buy. Best Buy runs an ongoing trade-in offer on a number of device types, not just the iPhone. That program assesses a value for a contract mobile phone and then offers an additional $50 if the customer trades it in and upgrades that device in-store as well.

Occasionally, Best Buy will run an iPhone-specific trade-in program. The last trade-in program Best Buy held was over Labor Day Weekend, when it offered customers at least 50 percent off the on-contract purchase price of an iPhone 5 if they brought in a working iPhone 4 or 4S.

Like Apple and Walmart, Best Buy's offer was contingent upon the customer signing up for a new two-year contract with AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon.

In all likelihood the launch of the next generation of iPhone will probably spur the announcement of another iPhone-specific trade-in offer from Best Buy, as the company looks to capitalize on excitement surrounding the new device.

AppleInsider currently hosts a Trade-In Guide covering not only the various generations of iPhone, but also assorted other Apple products. The Guide also covers offers from other online trade-in outlets, including NextWorth and USell.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Gazelle has become made a name for itself...

I'll say; with those offerings!
  • Reply 2 of 9

I've used both BuyBackWorld and Gazelle in the past. Both of these services are excellent.   I was a Gazelle customer for years but decided to try out BuyBackWorld to sell my 4 and 4s iPhones and a few older blackberry phones I had since they had higher offers.  I was actually made more money and received my payment faster when I used BuyBackWorld.  I would recommend both companies.

• Reply 3 of 9
    To say Best Buy is an occasional player is way off the mark. They always offer the trade-in program. The value given for used electronic devices (including, but not limited to iPhones as far back as the 3GS) is always based off of current market value and condition of the device. It always goes onto a Best Buy gift card, which never expires and never has fees deducted from it. This gift card does NOT need to be used to upgrade your phone. You can save it for whatever your heart desires. The Best Buy trade-in programs you mention in this article were special promotions Best Buy ran to give ADDITIONAL value to trade-ins, contingent upon certain purchase requirements, as part of companywide promotions. During that time, there were extra incentives available, but a customer could have still opted for regular trade in value (which is usually pretty competitive with the retail trade-in market) without making any purchase whatsoever.
  • Reply 4 of 9

I found Nextworth.com (the folks behind the Target trade in program) to have the best offer. They offered $370 for a iPhone 5, 64GB. They only ask a few questions, does it power on , is it fully functional and is the display cracked? They offer a 30 day price lock and pay shipping. They pay in Target credit, PayPal or send you a check.

If you trade in at Target, I think you only get Target store credit and you may not get the full price that you would get going directly to Nextworth. The sales clerk at Target was new to the program when I spoke to him.

Gazelle offered $330 for a good condition (normal wear) iPhone 5, 64GB, $40 less than Nextworth.

Gazelle offered $350 for a flawless iPhone 5, 64GB, $20 less than Nextworth.

• Reply 5 of 9
    skidplate wrote: »
    I found Nextworth.com (the folks behind the Target trade in program) to have the best offer. They offered $370 for a iPhone 5, 64GB. They only ask a few questions, does it power on , is it fully functional and is the display cracked? They offer a 30 day price lock and pay shipping. They pay in Target credit, PayPal or send you a check.
    If you trade in at Target, I think you only get Target store credit and you may not get the full price that you would get going directly to Nextworth. The sales clerk at Target was new to the program when I spoke to him.

Gazelle offered $330 for a good condition (normal wear) iPhone 5, 64GB, $40 less than Nextworth.

There're paying €600 for a 64GB over here on a 2nd hand Dutch site. I'll be selling, paying only €300 for a new one. Plus €29,95 for the freaking dock they never should've taken down in the first place.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skidplate View Post

I checked those prices but BuyBackWorld has higher prices than both Gazelle and Nextworth.

• Reply 7 of 9

I continue to get email reminders to send my phone into Nextworth who offered $370 for my iPhone 5 64GB. When I replied that I have not sent it in because I have yet to find a replacement iPhone 5S, I was emailed the following:

"You have 30 days to send your phone in from the time the trade was created. Your item needs to be post marked on or before 10/4. At this time we are not extending quotes however I would advise you to contact us a couple days prior to when your item is due to be shipped in to find out if we are extending them at that time."

• Reply 8 of 9
    Woa. As of today Nextworth offers $150 for an iPhone 5 64GB. Gadget Salvation, $290!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Here is another interesting take on the subject, an article about the potential reasons behind apple's trade-in program.
    http://youngsday.com/2013/12/18/a-speculation-over-some-companies-recycle-policies/