Apple makes iWork, iPhoto and iMovie free with new iOS devices

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday announced that customers purchasing a new iOS device will find that their iPhone, iPad or iPod touch comes pre-loaded with the company's iWork suite of productivity apps, as well as iPhoto and iMovie.

The software, which includes iOS version of Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iPhoto and iMovie, will be come installed on new iOS devices. Apple CEO Tim Cook listed eligible products as current generation iPhones, iPads and the fifth-generation iPod touch.

Apple's offering is a departure from the current situation that sees users have to purchase the apps separately for download. The offer will tie in nicely with Apple's integrated iCloud support for Pages, Numbers and Keynote, all of which will be available to edit in the cloud sometime soon. A beta version of the Web client at iCloud.com recently went live to users of the service.

iCloud

With the new iPhone 5C and 5S just announced, it is expected that those devices will also come preloaded with the iWork suite, iPhoto and iMovie.

Offering the apps for free will result in a savings of about $40 for users who would have otherwise purchased them in the App Store.

Making iWork free with the purchase of a new iOS device and for current devices will almost certainly give Apple's productivity suite a considerable boost in market share. In doing so, Apple will be stepping onto the turf of productivity giants such as Microsoft and Google, taking on their respective Office and Google Drive suites.

Apple has apparently been preparing for just such a struggle. With the addition of iWork for iCloud, the productivity suite became effectively platform-agnostic, as it works on PCs running Google's Chrome browser, Apple's Safari, and Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46

European anti-trust lawsuit… or no?

• Reply 2 of 46
    iWork online, iWork on all iOS devices: MS Office, pincer movement?
  • Reply 3 of 46

Why would there be an antitrust lawsuit? They are an optional download, and you are not forced to download them, and can download other apps. Also, if there were an antitrust lawsuit on the cards, surely it would be levelled against Apple for including, say, Stocks or Weather. And in the same way, Android, because you also get free apps there, too.

• Reply 4 of 46
    Originally Posted by darkpaw View Post

Why would there be an antitrust lawsuit? They are an optional download, and you are not forced to download them, and can download other apps.

The "pop-up in iOS 7", as well as them being free. It hearkens back to Microsoft's bundling in the '90s.

• Reply 5 of 46
    @ts: darkpaw is correct.
  • Reply 6 of 46

Come off it. It's one pop-up that can be dismissed easily, and does not ever appear again. This is not Microsoft from the 90s.

• Reply 7 of 46
    Originally Posted by darkpaw View Post

Come off it. It's one pop-up that can be dismissed easily, and does not ever appear again.

Still not convinced there won't be a suit.

• Reply 8 of 46
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Come off it. It's one pop-up that can be dismissed easily, and does not ever appear again.</span>

Still not convinced there won't be a suit.

Lodged by who, Microsoft for unfair competition against Office? That would be funny.

Microsoft bundles Office on the Surface RT:

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-gb/which-surface-is-right-for-you

so bundling iWork blows out that comparison point in their ad.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Isn't that just a demo? If not, I rescind any thoughts of anti-trust; there's no way Apple could have that happen.

• Reply 10 of 46
    Something tells me they won't be preinstalled but just free in the store after the launch

And why no love for GarageBand
  • Reply 11 of 46
    Marvin wrote: »
    Lodged by who,

Apple is hit by suits all the time. Doesn't mean they won't be tossed on day one but someone might be stupid enough to file one because they feel Apple should refund those that paid for these apps in the past.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Do I get a refund if I've already bought?
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Something tells me they won't be preinstalled but just free in the store after the launch

Apple.com, in fact.

And why no love for GarageBand 

Perhaps something to do with the music loops included vis a vis licensing?

• Reply 14 of 46
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Do I get a refund if I've already bought?

What do you think?

• Reply 15 of 46

As of right now, said apps are still not free on the App Store. Maybe that starts after September 18.

• Reply 16 of 46
    Any word how this will be reflected in the desktop versions?
  • Reply 17 of 46
    What about the Mac???????????????????
  • Reply 18 of 46
    I don't think it was mentioned that it will be free for current iOS devices. Only offered with new devices. That sucks assuming most of us might only upgrade one phone in the household.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    What do you think?

Depends on what the class action lawsuit brings. :lol:
  • Reply 20 of 46
    Nobody is asking about iPhoto and iCloud. Does this mean we will be able to edit images via the iCloud version of iPhoto? Are online galleries making a comeback to Apple? I hope Apple addresses the incompatibility issues I get between files made by the desktop version of iWork and the cloud version. Does anyone else have this problem?