Apple announces iPhone 5s: Touch ID fingerprint security, 64-bit A7 CPU, new gold option coming Sept

Comments

• Reply 61 of 298
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

I was dead wrong about no 64 bit this time around.. I'm shocked.

• Reply 62 of 298
    gtr wrote: »
    Interesting to see no 128 GB option.

However, I'm sure we'll all live.

That was also my feeling, but I don't expect the pictures to increase in size considerably with the new pixel & sensor size plus the 60fps. So for photography it probably won't matter anyway. I just need to trim my iTunes lib.
  • Reply 63 of 298
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowest Skil View Post

Told you so....

Says the person with 8 posts. I see you created a user profile just to troll and mock Apple fans in this comment section. You don't even understand the Mavericks reference meaning you have no idea or concept of Apple products. Obviously you are here just to troll and should not be taken seriously.

• Reply 64 of 298
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rain View Post

What have they 'innovated' with this phone?

I don't see any physical innovation at all.

Faster chip, camera update, fingerprint security? Wouldn't call that 'innovation'.

The innovation is in the software.

iOS 7 is the innovation... these phones are just vessels to make it sing.

5s is a bit faster... woooo

I don't foresee people chucking their 5's over the Golden Gate Bridge for this hardware update.

People with an iPhone 5 are not really the market since most of them will be under contract for at least 6 or more months before they can get an upgrade credit. This phone is meant to entice the 4S and 4 owners to upgrade. For them it is actually a pretty substantial upgrade. 

• Reply 65 of 298
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

No real surprises here. The leaks and rumors over the last few weeks and months pretty much nailed everything. I was hoping there would be some nice surprise like doubling the storage to 32/64/128 instead of keeping it at 16/32/64. Also wondering if it will use the Qualcomm RF360 front end or not since that wasn't mentioned.  Maybe I will feel differently when I can watch the actual video but right now I am feeling a little let down. 

Yea the rumors did pretty much uncover everything.... except was the 64-bit iOS in the rumors (might have missed it) or did they manage the surprise there? That seems like it will pay dividends down the road. Not sure about the new space grey color but I guess i'll wait to see it in person before passing judgement. 

• Reply 66 of 298
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    rain wrote: »
    What have they 'innovated' with this phone?
    I don't see any physical innovation at all.

Faster chip, camera update, fingerprint security? Wouldn't call that 'innovation'.

The innovation is in the software.
    iOS 7 is the innovation... these phones are just vessels to make it sing.

5s is a bit faster... woooo
    I don't foresee people chucking their 5's over the Golden Gate Bridge for this hardware update.

I knew it wouldn't take long. Samsung and Google must pay well.

Let's see:
    - Twice the CPU performance
    - Twice the graphics performance
    - First 64 bit phone
    - Much better camera
    - Fingerprint security
    - New motion coprocessor
    - Greater network coverage
    - Same price as predecessor

And none of that counts for anything?

The Android and Samsung shills really get tiresome.

The really sad thing is how quickly Wall Street goes along. The stock was down about 0.7 before the announcement and is down about 1.7 now. Just what the heck did they expect?
  • Reply 67 of 298
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Says the person with 8 posts. I see you created a user profile just to troll and mock Apple fans in this comment section. You don't even understand the Mavericks reference meaning you have no idea or concept of Apple products. Obviously you are here just to troll and should not be taken seriously.

It's from Top Gun! California reference...

• Reply 68 of 298
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The price points are unchanged.

Before:

iPhone 5 16 GB $199

iPhone 4S 16 GB $99

Iphone 4 8 GB $0

Now:

Iphone 5S 16 GB $199

iPhone 5C (replaces iPhone 5) $99

iPhone 4S 8 GB $0

It's exactly the same thing that they've been doing for years - release a new phone and the old ones drop by $100 in price. The new one stays at the same price, but adds a lot of features and/or performance. The only thing different this time is that instead of dropping the price of the iPhone 5, they put the iPhone 5 into a plastic case and dropped the price by $100.

The people who were expecting a "cheap" phone will be disappointed - which I expected all along. Apple doesn't make cheap junk. Period.

Yes, the price points of the main device (5S) I expected to remain unchanged. However, I was expecting a bump in storage to 32/64/128GB while keeping the same price. They've done that many times in the past. The current storage/price points have stayed the same for three generations now.

For the 5C (a new device) I was expecting the base 5C 16GB (or 8GB) to take the place now occupied by the 4S at $0 on contract. 

Thus, everything in my view is $100 too expensive, as the 32GB 5S should have been at the $199 price point, etc.

• Reply 69 of 298

No MBP update :no:

• Reply 70 of 298
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I knew it wouldn't take long. Samsung and Google must pay well.

Let's see:

- Twice the CPU performance

- Twice the graphics performance

- First 64 bit phone

- Much better camera

- Fingerprint security

- New motion coprocessor

And none of that counts for anything?

The Android and Samsung shills really get tiresome.

Remember, the consensus here is that specs are unimportant!

• Reply 71 of 298
    One thing that I find interesting is that, according to Apple's website, the 5s will not be offered in black. It's white, slate gray and gold. Personally I think the slate gray one is GORGEOUS, but wondering if there will be any negative consumer reaction. Really nice release by Apple today...I'm impressed.
  • Reply 72 of 298
    Underwhelmed

Definitely sticking with my iPhone 4S "unlocked / jailbroken"

• Reply 73 of 298

Oh oh.

AAPL down 2.4%

• Reply 74 of 298
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple is doomed.

lol I don't think I was saying that, just glad to see I'm not the only one with code updates that don't go 100% smooth. 

• Reply 75 of 298
    Quote:

Oh oh.

AAPL down 2.4%

Buy on rumor, sell on news... 

• Reply 76 of 298

With the photo tech they have, Apple could wipe out gopro in an instant...just gotta package an iPod version of the 5s with 187 waterproof and assorted accessories.

• Reply 77 of 298
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    paul94544 wrote: »
    Meh, a wash, we got finger print sensor but no news on which carrier in China just siad vailable in China, or unlocked price of 5C

The unlocked prices are unchanged compared to the iPhone 5 - $649, $749, and $849. Everything is up in the Apple store online now.
  • Reply 78 of 298

now 3%....

• Reply 79 of 298
    I don't see any coverage on the M7. This was very significant imho.

The only reason you use a co-processor for motion is to lower power and increase accuracy.

Seems like this thing is directed right at those activity bands that are so popular right now (FuelBand, FitBit, etc etc).

Leave the phone in your pocket and it tracks your activity all day. The M7 sips power while aggregating motion data and then if an app asks, the M7 reports the activity. A direct replacement for those bands.
  • Reply 79 of 298
    Quote:

Top Gun reference?

Clueless, you are.